Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,007 times

Advertisements

Someone staying with me spilt red liquid jello on my carpet and then tried to clean the red out with Clorox. I walked in just in time to catch them doing it....

In the past I have never had problems getting spills cleaned up. I just blot the area real good, and then spray a little bit of clear water on it and blot some more until everything disapears....... but I'm worried tht clorox is going to bleach. I've tried pouring more water on it to dilute the clorox and blotting ....however don't know if it is possible to be able to get all the clorox completely out.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Someone staying with me spilt red liquid jello on my carpet and then tried to clean the red out with Clorox. I walked in just in time to catch them doing it....

In the past I have never had problems getting spills cleaned up. I just blot the area real good, and then spray a little bit of clear water on it and blot some more until everything disapears....... but I'm worried tht clorox is going to bleach. I've tried pouring more water on it to dilute the clorox and blotting ....however don't know if it is possible to be able to get all the clorox completely out.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
So, how the carpet looks like now? A big spot to see?
Normally there is nothing you can do, except to cut it out and put in a patch, but I didn't read the ^^^ link yet, so maybe there is a solution.
Reading it now....
However, I don't like the fact that they advertise $95 kit, and don't even show the product. I would be wary of that.
In fact it looks like he is just dying the carpet/adding color again. Hopefully he has the exact color of your carpet. Probably is still visible on bigger stains. In the video he works only on very small spots, so you can't see if the color really matches. Also, he works only on light colored carpets. Would want to see the magic on dark colors and big stains.

BTW: not San Antonio related - moving it to House Forum.

Last edited by elnina; 07-15-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Too late now, but it's worth investing in a machine like the one below that we use for touchup cleaning. You could also have poured a lot of water to dilute quickly and then use a wet/dry shopvac to suck up the water. With bleach the important thing is to get it really diluted as fast as possible. Even so, it's going to do some bleaching.

BISSELL GREEN Little Green® 1400 | Parts & Reviews | Portable Deep Cleaner

Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 PM

22,567 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
but I'm worried tht clorox is going to bleach.
Yeah... that is what bleach does - it bleaches!
The damage is done. I would be researching patches.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yeah... that is what bleach does - it bleaches!
The damage is done. I would be researching patches.
Yep ... Sorry.... Had accident once where a bottle fell pour bleach out, took the color right out... Reason I hate carpet...

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

You say you are worried that it might...which sounds like you got it diluted before it did?
If it was going to, it would have by now.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think the OP means she wants to get the bleach+water solution out of the carpet. I would use a carpet shampooer with a strong sucker. I hate the smell of chlorine.
Surely, she would already know if it took the color out or not.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Too late now, but it's worth investing in a machine like the one below that we use for touchup cleaning. You could also have poured a lot of water to dilute quickly and then use a wet/dry shopvac to suck up the water. With bleach the important thing is to get it really diluted as fast as possible. Even so, it's going to do some bleaching.

BISSELL GREEN Little Green® 1400 | Parts & Reviews | Portable Deep Cleaner
This. Try and keep it wet if you can and then either buy one of these or an upright or rent a carpet shampooer from a supermarket or hardware store. With patience and a lot of treatment these can do wonders.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Once the area is lighter than the surrounding carpet, the bleach has done its job and permanently chemically altered the fibers and dye. There is nothing to get out. The only way is to either have an expert try to re-dye the carpet or replace the damaged areas or all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House