Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

I've lived in two homes with septic tanks.... the first for 10 years and the 2nd for 20 years. Both had sink holes around them and needed costly repairs as well as regular emptying. Our last house needed a whole new system with drain fields, new lawn, the whole nine yards. major pain and major expense.

I found this article interesting.

Flush Away Thousands of Dollars If You Don't Heed This Home Repair Advice - MyBankTracker.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
"Over the years, the in-ground 1,500-gallon tank had slowly decomposed, leaving behind crusty deposits that proved increasingly stubborn to flush out. Also, the leach lines and seepage pits that supported her septic system drained poorly in the heavy clay soil, requiring extensive repairs. Trying to extend the life of her current septic system would have been like applying a Band-Aid to a broken leg."

If the tank itself decomposed, there was a problem with the concrete. But that doesn't explain "leaving behind crusty deposits that proved increasingly stubborn to flush out". You don't flush out a septic tank down to bare walls. The "crusty deposits" were more likely toilet paper, wet wipes, and other cellulose or cellulose/plastic products that were flushed.

"“The percolation test runs about $2,500,” McCoy said. “The soil analysis, conducted by a special kind of geologist, runs about $4,000. Hopefully, the city is on the ball and has already done local soil testing.”"

Our perc test cost $500. The soil analysis was part of it and consisted of the laying out of the soil in an orderly fashion for the inspector to verify.

"McCoy, meanwhile, recommended adding brewer’s yeast to encourage bacteria growth.

“Activate it first in some warm water,” McCoy said. “Then drop it in the toilet.”"

Totally, completely, idiotic, and representative of the idiocy of the article. Brewers yeast turns sugars into carbon dioxide an alcohol. Your septic tank is NOT a vat for beer. Every time you take a dump you are recharging the system with the proper bacteria to digest waste.

Some people do have tank problems, some more than others. Other than clean-outs, septic can be fairly simple and cheap. I also have had two houses with tanks. Other than the grass growing greener over the field, no problems.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:30 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,043 times
I live in an old house with one tank installed some time in the 1960's. It's been pumped and inspected one time, because I needed it certified in order to add on to the house. I never had any trouble with it.

I installed a 2nd system: black/grey to accommodate additional bathrooms and bedrooms. I DID have trouble with that one and no one can explain it. At the same time both the black side and the grey side stopped working and backed up. $800 in repairs. Everyone says it is impossible and I even suspect sabotage or something. Doesn't make sense.

But I never put anything down the drains or toilets except toilet paper. EVERYTHING (we won't go into details) goes into the trash. Also use good toilet paper, not the cheap stuff. Don't use much cholorox and never use those automatic toilet cleaner things.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
On the other hand, paying sewer charges to a city can add up over time. Seattle, for example, charges $11.75/ccf and the average home pays $50 month. Over your 10 years in one home that would have been $6,000, in the 20 year home $12,000 and you would still have had to maintain the sewer lines up to the street.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
I had ours installed in 1964 at the ranch. We livd there up until recently. I've never taken the lid off of it. Key to it is how you use it. If you have a garbage disposal, disconnect it, remove it, never use it. Garbage does not belong in a septic tank. NEVER use anything like Rid-X or the like unless you just want to screw up a septic system. Go to a large bakery and buy a large quantity of LIVE YEAST. Flush it down the commode. You only need to do it once. If the wife uses any kind of bleach, it does not go into the septic system. She can use a tub or bucket or quit using it. Preferably, the clothes washer drains to the yard where it waters the lawn instead of filling and killing the septic tank. No grease or garbage goes down the drain. Your house should have been plumbed with a grease trap for the kitchen. Clean it every month. If it's not plumbed for one, can't help ya except you shoulda known better. All of the houses we build with septic systems are now grey water systems. We start the system for the owners with written instructions on how to care for it. Some ladies do not like not being able to use a garbage disposal but it saves the septic tank. Most guys don't like cleaning the grease trap as it can smell pretty bad if not cleaned every month. But it beats having to have the tank pumped or worse, replaced.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 AM

110 posts, read 609,542 times
I just moved into a house recently that has a septic tank. The house was under contract earlier this year, but the septic failed inspections. The buyers were in a pinch and backed out of the deal. After that, the sellers had a new system installed. The only thing I've noticed with it is the ground settling from excavation. I have no problem using a septic tank, we just have to be more careful about what gets flushed down the drains.

What is the deal with Rid-X? Why is it bad for the tank?

Old 07-17-2014, 09:05 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
I have lived in two homes with septic systems and not a bit of trouble with either. My only expense was $250 for clean out only one time after in ten years. The other home I lived in for six years and didn't have even clean-out once.

I am now on a city sewer system that costs $37.50 per month and I have lived here for seven years. Do the math.

I spend more on sewer in less than ONE year than I spent on septic over SIXTEEN years.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8876 View Post
I just moved into a house recently that has a septic tank. The house was under contract earlier this year, but the septic failed inspections. The buyers were in a pinch and backed out of the deal. After that, the sellers had a new system installed. The only thing I've noticed with it is the ground settling from excavation. I have no problem using a septic tank, we just have to be more careful about what gets flushed down the drains.

What is the deal with Rid-X? Why is it bad for the tank?
You don't need Rid-X (or anything else) if you follow some basic rules.

1. Only pee, poo and plain white, non-deoderant toilet paper down the crapper.
2. Scrape all food scraps, oils and other stuff off dishes and pans before washing.
3. Never use harsh chemicals to clean your toilets, dishes or clothes. No scrubbing bubbles garbage, no super clean sparkly diswasher crap, no chemicals in your toilet. Use a mild detergent. We use the same mild soap to clean our dishes and our toilets. Works just fine.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
For the past 20 years all of the house I've lived in had septic tanks and have had no problems. The only time I had to call for a roto rooter man was when my DH and I were remodeling a house in Florida and it was on city sewer. I still think it was the Charmin that did it. I should have passed that sale up and stayed with my normal Scott septic safe toilet paper

Old 07-17-2014, 02:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
I'm glad to hear so many folks are happy with septic system cause it is a major upheaval to family life when it fails. Guess we were just unlucky cause we all followed proper useage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House