Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What a wonderful house! Did you grow up there? It sounds like heaven for a child.

You must not leave us dangling about the two bedrooms for your daughter. Why?
No, I didn't grow up there. Believe it or not, it was my parent's retirement house! I grew up in the house they designed themselves. It was a true 1970s homage. There was the floating copper fireplace in the middle of the room, macrame curtains, blue shag carpeting, and even custom designed formica furniture! Hilarious looking back on it but at the time, we were quite the talk in our tiny Georgia town. It was even in Better Homes and Gardens.

My Dad retired at 50 and he was quite worried he would be bored. When they bought the home, the last renovation was done in the 1930s so it needed a complete overhaul. They did a ton of work themselves because my father enjoys it (I come by my DIYing honestly) and my mom's an artist who became a high end kitchen designer. They are just finishing up the last bits of the renovation - it's been going on about 15 years in total. They started with the main wing and got that and the kitchen renovated right away by contractors. The servants and guest wings were taken on slowly and over the years. It's likely going on the market in August. It really is a stunning home. Seven acres, on the ocean, with a tennis court, tons of gardens, and a bomb shelter to boot! But now they're ready to go a bit smaller since they're older now.

My daughter is - well spoiled. When we bought our home, it was one of the few on the market. There are three bedrooms together and then a very large fourth one quite a ways away since it's over the garage. Her bedroom was so small, we agreed to let her have a second bedroom where she could have sleepovers, her tv and such, etc. So, because of this, it evolved into her weekday and weekend bedroom. It worked for us because her regular bedroom would stay nice and tidy while we never saw the weekend bedroom since it was so out of the way. Now that she's older, her weekend bedroom has primarily become her art studio since she's an artist (runs in the family).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
No, I didn't grow up there. Believe it or not, it was my parent's retirement house! I grew up in the house they designed themselves. It was a true 1970s homage. There was the floating copper fireplace in the middle of the room, macrame curtains, blue shag carpeting, and even custom designed formica furniture! Hilarious looking back on it but at the time, we were quite the talk in our tiny Georgia town. It was even in Better Homes and Gardens.

My Dad retired at 50 and he was quite worried he would be bored. When they bought the home, the last renovation was done in the 1930s so it needed a complete overhaul. They did a ton of work themselves because my father enjoys it (I come by my DIYing honestly) and my mom's an artist who became a high end kitchen designer. They are just finishing up the last bits of the renovation - it's been going on about 15 years in total. They started with the main wing and got that and the kitchen renovated right away by contractors. The servants and guest wings were taken on slowly and over the years. It's likely going on the market in August. It really is a stunning home. Seven acres, on the ocean, with a tennis court, tons of gardens, and a bomb shelter to boot! But now they're ready to go a bit smaller since they're older now.

My daughter is - well spoiled. When we bought our home, it was one of the few on the market. There are three bedrooms together and then a very large fourth one quite a ways away since it's over the garage. Her bedroom was so small, we agreed to let her have a second bedroom where she could have sleepovers, her tv and such, etc. So, because of this, it evolved into her weekday and weekend bedroom. It worked for us because her regular bedroom would stay nice and tidy while we never saw the weekend bedroom since it was so out of the way. Now that she's older, her weekend bedroom has primarily become her art studio since she's an artist (runs in the family).
Neat! Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
When I was in Hawaii I was super stressed (someone else's teenager) so I developed a little room for me and my dogs to hide out and chill. It had a daybed and the dogs beds were in there too. I could read or even sleep in there. And the dogs were welcome to join me on the daybed. A great escape.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
We have a computer room. My husband is a computer engineer and worked from home his last years of work. Some may call this an office. It is the small bedroom vacated by our child after college. We still have a single bed and clothes closet but there is where the room stops being normal.

My husband brought an old dining room table and an old bakers rack for storage and on top of that is a line of computers with another computer desk to boot plus a file cabinet. He used to come in here for 12 hour shifts of online and telephone computer consulting for a major worldwide company. Sometimes he would have five computers and three telephones going at the same time.

We are retired now but the room has not changed a lot.

My daughter came into the room when she and her daughter were visiting and started laughing. Then she got her camera and took a picture that showed her daughter on one computer playing games, my husband beside her playing another game and me on the internet. Yes, Grandpa is computer savvy.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
My unique room is the one I'm sitting in right now. It's my office, puppy whelping and puppy raising room. I have 11 beautiful little puppies snoring beside me right now in their little puppy pen. four feet by eight feet. In a couple of weeks they will have the run of the room. By that time they are paper trained and go on the papers I put out for them and change about 6 times a day. The room is on the half in the ground level of a four level side split. It's warm in the cold weather and cool in the hot weather. Perfect for puppies and ME. There is a hallway right outside the door that leads to a door to the backyard up 5 outside steps. I don't like little puppies climbing stairs and so when they are ready to go out I put a ramp on the stairs and away they go.......

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
I have a room we call the snug, it was the original living room before the house was extended several times by the previous owner, it has 3 doors and is open to the living room but with no windows it remains dim and is a good space for sitting down with a book or computer.

I also have a hobby room although hubby insists on calling it the dining room, sometimes when I'm really motivated I take the sewing machine off the table and we eat in there.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I lived for ten years in one of Vancouvers first downtown apt. buiidings with 'lectricity and indoor plumbing.
As original, when the building turned 100 the pantry room off the kitchen was bigger than the one bedroom.
Cool place, designed for another time. Nine foot ceilings, though. I'd live there again if uncle Woh sells the
building.

He only leased to working guys with tool kits. Smart man.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I also have a hobby room although hubby insists on calling it the dining room, sometimes when I'm really motivated I take the sewing machine off the table and we eat in there.
Hilarious!

Old 07-21-2014, 09:14 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Our house was built in 1920, no secret rooms but we do have strange cubby rooms upstairs.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Art Studio and workout room on top floor with vaulted ceilings and a great big medieval chandelier up in the peak of the roof. It's pretty much a giant recreation cave with a miniature dwarf room off to the side with another mini chandelier.

When I lived in Detroit, there was a big tunnel along the back wall of the basement, with poured concrete walls. Actually jumped in there once during a tornado.

I lived near downtown Pittsburgh in the historic district in a very old and very massive historic mansion/row house built by a great industrialist in the 1800s. It had a gothic tunnel leading back to an old courtyard in the rear and the original carriage house converted into an apt. Exterior was covered in stained glass windows and 3d antique sculptures coming out of the exterior walls.

Last house had an open roof looking into the sky through a belltower in the upstairs bedroom, and a room devoted to my champion show dogs.

As a kid, grew up in a large Yankee Barn home with massive skylights and built-in wooden ladders on the walls in my room. Forgot to add, this house also had a solarium room that was solid windows and the walk-out, fully-finished basement had walls made of large, antique, sandstone blocks that were recovered from an 1800s barn that once stood on the property. I guess my unique home trend started in childhood.

Last edited by L0ve; 07-21-2014 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House