Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times

Advertisements

WHAT I NEED: I have a 1970's, 1600 square foot house built on a slab. I want a bathroom remodel so that I can have a 4'x6' shower, with easy access, a seat, and grab bars and so on since I am getting older. While I am remodeling I might as well remodel the rest of the bathroom since it looks like a time capsule from the 1970's.

I will need some bathroom design advice, on issues such as where to put the shower and what fixtures would look good, meet my needs, and so on. Tearing down walls might be necessary since the bathroom is pretty cramped. I will need somebody who can bring in an electrician since there is no outlet in that bathroom; might as well fix that while remodeling, too. Also I need somebody who knows about things like permits and building codes. I want to do this right.

Should I:

(1) Call my fabulous handyman, who has done handyman work for a living for 30-40 years and who knows licensed electricians, plumbers, roofers, and everyone you can imagine. The handyman has done top notch work for me in installing a door, and in fixing up the house (including roofing, electrical work, plumbing, painting, and so on) when I thought I might sell it several years ago. I am sure this handyman would do top notch work, but I do not think he is a general contractor. I don't know if he follows code or gets permits when needed.

(2) Call a general contractor out of the phone book. I don't have any experience with any of them, and neither does anybody I know. I don't especially trust Angie's List.

(3) Go with Home Depot or Lowe's.

(4) Go to one of those "Kitchen and Bath Renovations" stores in a strip mall, that has been there for at least 5-10 years. I don't know anything about their work, but at least they are still in business.

(5) Explain my dilemma to my fabulous handyman (mentioned above) and ask if he knows a general contractor that can do this. Would this be insulting? He seems like a very practical, rational person. I trust him completely and he is very competent.

What would you do? I can afford to have this done right, but I have no idea where to start. I am inclined to go with option (5) unless somebody else comes up with a more appealing approach.

What if my handyman says, "I can do it, and it will be up to code and I'll get the permits". Is there any other reason to have a general contractor? I know my handyman has the experience and skills and contacts needed to do a good job. I would have to make the design decisions, but he could advise me as to what fixtures would function well and would be practical, and so on.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 07-20-2014 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
1 + 5
And, I have 3 words for you:
Durock
Schluter Ditra

Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
A general contractor just organizes things and has a crew or hires subcontractors to do the job. A handyman in some cases knows how to do a lot of different trades he just isn't going to be better then an electrician, plumber, carpenter etc that strictly focuses on their own trade. He might do quality work but odds are much better hiring the guys who do the same stuff day in and day out.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the input from both of you. My handyman organizes things, hires licensed subcontractors, and then keeps an eye on their work to make sure it is up to his standards, so it sounds like #1 and #5 are the best approaches - - in other words, give him a call and go from there.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the input from both of you. My handyman organizes things, hires licensed subcontractors, and then keeps an eye on their work to make sure it is up to his standards, so it sounds like #1 and #5 are the best approaches - - in other words, give him a call and go from there.
Your "handyman" is a general contractor then. Regardless since you have a relationship with him that would be the best bet.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Your "handyman" is a general contractor then. Regardless since you have a relationship with him that would be the best bet.
Oh, OK!! I didn't realize that. When he fixed up my house to sell back in 2010, he had a licensed electrician, a roofer, a plumber, a painter, and so on, all out at my house. He didn't do all of that himself, although he kept an eye on them. They all did good work for him. He did some small stuff himself, while he was hanging around keeping an eye on them.

Thanks so much. I would feel much happier with him than with a stranger, because I know he will get everything done right.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
go with the handyman

in similar situations if I call big companies,,,they want to rip half the house away to work..

15 yrs ago the shower/tub floor got soft and Im thinking I need the whole thing replaced, I called three companies,,,for estimates, each one wanted to put in a brand new shower tub and tear apart the wall to get it in..

2-3 k were the estimates

on a whim,,, I called a handyman,,, and he said he could cut out the soft spot, and fiberglass /firm the tub floor all for 2-3 hundred dollars total(the floor is still great!)

not one of them contractors, suggested a repair

my handyman also shingled my roof and I saved 1200-1500

Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
go with the handyman

in similar situations if I call big companies,,,they want to rip half the house away to work..

15 yrs ago the shower/tub floor got soft and Im thinking I need the whole thing replaced, I called three companies,,,for estimates, each one wanted to put in a brand new shower tub and tear apart the wall to get it in..

2-3 k were the estimates

on a whim,,, I called a handyman,,, and he said he could cut out the soft spot, and fiberglass /firm the tub floor all for 2-3 hundred dollars total(the floor is still great!)

not one of them contractors, suggested a repair

my handyman also shingled my roof and I saved 1200-1500

Some people want to put a band aid on it and "just get it done" Others want it done right and never have to worry about it again. Sounds like you went with the band aid.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Some people want to put a band aid on it and "just get it done" Others want it done right and never have to worry about it again. Sounds like you went with the band aid.
did you read my post at all??

I didn't need to replace the whole tub/shower unit. just the floor

that was 15 years ago,and floor is still fine (far beyond a band aid )

it cost me 250.00 not 3,0000

ill take that band aid anyday

Old 07-20-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
did you read my post at all??

I didn't need to replace the whole tub/shower unit. just the floor

that was 15 years ago,and floor is still fine (far beyond a band aid )

it cost me 250.00 not 3,0000

ill take that band aid anyday
Yep you called 3 companies and all 3 wanted to rip everything out and do it the right way. The one handyman did it for beer money, rigged it up and you got lucky and it's still lasting. Got it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House