Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,686 times

Advertisements

I had ChoiceDek "HARVEST BROWN" decking installed on a new deck on May 29, 2014.

I then placed a door mat by the patio entrance, a deck carpet, and a propane grill on the deck

Within LESS THEN 30 DAYS the deck had faded so much that I can see the EXACT IMPRINT left in a darker hue where each item was placed. Remember this is in 30 days.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia which has moderate weather.

I contacted my builder and he has brought this to LOWES attention where he purchased the material and said they are looking into it.

He also told me he has had another problem with this same material from ChoiceDek that he just installed and at this point he will not use it on any other contracts.

I am hoping that ChoiceDek or LOWES will at least refund the cost of the material.

In the meantime I have to remove everything from the deck and hope the imprints will fade in time to match the remaining deck.

I will try to post some photos as soon as I figure out the method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Yep... that is what Choice-Dek is known for.

Google got me this, alone with many more...
"Some manufacturers are very up-front about color fading. ChoiceDek and Trex are among those manufacturers who will show you post-fading colors so you can see what you deck will really look like after a few months. "

Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
from their FAQ:

Will ChoiceDek® decking fade?

Our colors are designed to weather slightly to more natural shades within the first six months.

Composite Decking Questions - FAQs | ChoiceDek

Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Yeah! It's NOT "buyer beware".

It's buyer be informed! If only you'd done your homework...

*i think there's something in there also about rubber-backed mats, rugs, etc; tends to turn the stuff black. Trapped moisture makes the wood mildew/mold.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,470 times
I had Choicedek decking installed in 2014. Within a few months not only had it faded substantially, but some of the decking boards developed black discolorations and made the deck look dirty. I used Spray 'n' Forget as recommended by the manufacturer, but it did nothing. I scrubbed some areas and now those areas are even more faded but still discolored. The 'maintenance free' deck is now a constant eye sore. I would not recommend this decking material to my worst enemy. I don't know how the other composite decking material perform, but whatever you do, do not get Choicedek.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
It works the same as installing a painted metal roof or vinyl siding. It is in direct sunlight, and will fade over time. The goal is to allow it to fade evenly so it's important to keep things off the surface so that everything fades together.

What we would do when we installed a metal roof, was to ask the homeowner to find a place to keep 1-2 extra pieces of roofing exposed to direct sunlight so that it would fade at the same rate as the roof. Then... if a piece of metal got damaged, we were able to replace it with a piece that matched what was on the house.

Discolorations (different than fading) could come from the type of material that is covering the surface, or from any chemicals allowed to sit on the surface for any period of time. It could be leeching into the composite material.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:27 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The goal is to allow it to fade evenly so it's important to keep things off the surface so that everything fades together.
If THAT is the GOAL, why have a deck at all if you can't put anything on it?

Old 06-23-2015, 11:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
I never said you can't ever put anything on it... but you should give it some time to fade before you put anything on it. That, or live with the fact that you're going to see dark spots where something has sat.

I'm assuming you're a builder by your name. You've never seen metal roofing or vinyl siding fade in sunlight? There's no way around it.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 12,470 times
The discolorations developed without anything being placed on the surface. Only the planks from the first batch I ordered have the discolorations. The planks from the second order do not. The planks are defective and this only shows up a few weeks after installation. The fading is not the big problem, the discoloration is.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,218 times
Default Do not buy!

I have had discoloration problems with BEACH HOUSE GRAY boards. The boards from the store had a different color from the ones that were ordered online and delivered. I have used Trex, Veranda, and Azek and so far ChoiceDek doesn't make the cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House