Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Have you tried just talking to them? From what you said they had some kind of agreement with the previous residents. Maybe if you just approach them and tell them that you have plans for the front of your property they will cooperate
Talking with them first is the best idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I recently bought the property that's on the left in the pictures. On the right is a duplex (it's split front-to-back so it doesn't look like a duplex in the front). A renter lives in each of the duplex units to the right.

We have a shared driveway. One of the renters has these extra cars, sometimes they park them in their front yard, why I don't know. What I'm pretty sure is happening here is that one of the renter's extra cars, or possibly a guest but I don't think so, is interpreting that middle area in front of the tree as open for parking use. I'm not precisely sure where the line is, but I'm reasonably confident that car in the picture is about 3-4 feet on my side of the line.

I don't think this was a problem in the past. 1 owner was trying to sell both properties which he uses as rentals. That one on the right is still for sale (I couldn't afford both). The previous rental occupant of the house I bought and one of the renters (pretty sure the one with that car) knew each other well and seemed to share the whole space.

According to the plat, the driveway is split down the middle.

I don't want to go to war over this. It's not a big deal at the moment since I'm not living there and won't be for another 30-45 days while work gets done to the house.

If I did have to go war with the neighbors on this, I would have a survey done, draw a line or parking stripe to mark the property line, and inform them that any cars not authorized by me on my side of line would be towed.

What would be a more gentle, subtle way to deal with this?

My plan later on is to leave about 1 foot of asphalt on my side of the line, then tear up a strip of the asphalt 12-18 inches wide & put some flowers or plants there, or maybe even some fencing, since I'll eventually install privacy fencing on that whole side right of my garage.

Since your not living there and they know it , that might be the reason they are parking like that....Hopefully once you move in it stop....

Old 07-27-2014, 01:27 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I'd fence it or put in a narrow landscape feature or something on your part of the driveway, then just widen yours on the other side if you need more room. Something like that. And of course, assuming you know exactly where the line is for certain.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I should have made that clear. It's side-by-side, not "shared." We each own half of it.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
I would approach the OWNER of that property and ask them to split the cost of removing that tree.

You'll know real fast if they think it's your property or not.

Nice segue into the fence discussion, too.

As far as the tenants go, I couldn't care LESS if it's my property. They'll be gone soon enough and replaced by more. And more. And more. OR the "new" homeowner.

What if the NEW occupant decides to do his weightlifting out there at 6 AM every morning. (That happened to ME).

Actually better to deal with it NOW before a new homeowner moves in actually. Because if it's a duplex they're likely to keep one tenant and the problem doesn't go away.

I'd probably have the survey done before doing anything.

It doesn't matter about talking to them NOW, you still NEED that surveyed. You can talk to them after you get it done.

And having it done NOW is better and won't look like you waited and got mad or whatever. Just a normal new homeowner thing people would do. ESPECIALLY with a shared driveway.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Are you planning to keep the tree? It looks like it needs to be cut back so it doesn't blow over in a storm. If the tree is gone, or reduced in size, it might help solve the problem of them seeking shade on your property.

Have you talked to their landlord about the issue? I agree, it is probably best to not do too much if they are stressed about the rental being on the market. Hopefully, who ever buys it will be open to some problem solving.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What if the NEW occupant decides to do his weightlifting out there at 6 AM every morning. (That happened to ME).
Yes, what concerns me is less the current tenants and more what will happen after it's sold. The survey & fencing on that side is going to be my next priority after working on the inside & moving in.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Are you planning to keep the tree?
At this point I'd like to keep it there, not remove it. I know the tree is on the line, just not sure where the line goes through the tree exactly, so that will have to be discussed with the owner.

Quote:
It looks like it needs to be cut back so it doesn't blow over in a storm
The inspector told me that. It's priority #2 and I'll probably bring up the fence issue at the same time we discuss trimming the tree. From the way the owner behaved during the sale of my property, I'm sure his response will probably be that he doesn't care and if I want to trim the tree, fine with him but he won't pay anything toward it.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:25 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

You just purchased this property, correct? The property was aleady surveyed, by law, so the legal boundaries can be recorded along with the deed. Did they mark out the boundaries or merely notate it? Call the surveyers back and ask them to point out the 4 boundary markers. Mine are metal posts driven 18" into the ground for future use.
Best to take care of the task now than when the tenant is comfortable with what he has been doing and you allowing it to continue. The fence can stop at the tree and pick up on the other side. If tenant has any problem with anything you decide to do remember he is a tenant and you may need to remind him of the fact as well. If not him then his landlord. This stuff escalates if you don't nip it in the bud, believe me.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You just purchased this property, correct? The property was aleady surveyed, by law, so the legal boundaries can be recorded along with the deed. Did they mark out the boundaries or merely notate it? Call the surveyers back and ask them to point out the 4 boundary markers. Mine are metal posts driven 18" into the ground for future use.
The land court or registrar of deeds will have the lots on file, but, unless you can work survey equipment, it doesn't do the average homeowner any good.

I know the OP is not in Mass...but, for example in Mass, most homes are NOT surveyed here each time they turn over. Surveyors would be rich if it was required!!

Land is surveyed more often, especially if it is not clearly marked, markers have been lost, or if exact easements are needed for immediate construction setbacks, etc.

Using surveyors gives the OP a layer of deniability -- "it's not ME, it's the surveyors taking your parking away. Shocked, I am! Who knew my property was so large! I must put a fence in so you don't hear me yodeling at 5am!"

On a side note, tenants come and go--even if the OP talks to THESE tenants, there is no guarantee the next or the ones after or the ones after them will adhere to the parking rules.

Go with the expectation the front of the fence will be hit or clipped and front it accordingly with some sturdy, concrete-filled, steel bollards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House