Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times

Advertisements

Just a thought as to responses for the sob stories, trying to get you to give the stuff away. Why not trump their sob story? Just say quietly "I can't accept less. We are trying to raise the money for my liver transplant."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

You got out-negotiated, possibly somewhat underhandedly, but out-negotiated nonetheless.
I guess that we will have to agree to disagree.

I personally do not believe that 100%, complete, total lies have any place in negotiations. Saying that something is "too expensive" or "it is more than I want to spend" is one thing but telling someone that "my daughter's birthday is next week and I can not afford to buy her a present" and "my son is going into kindergarten and I can not buy him a back pack. I feel so sad that he will be the only child in his class without a backpack" and then "my niece's birthday is next week and I can not afford to buy her a present".

And after all those comments & many more, pulling out a $50 bill out of a stack of $50s to pay the $5 and then driving off in a new luxury vehicle hardly seems to me like a person that really could not afford to buy her daughter a birthday present or her son a backpack (if she even had any children at all). It does not seem like "fair negotiation".

Kokonutty, if you think that lying and cheating is fair in garage sales or in business deals then that is your opinion but I don't agree. I felt that a more correct phrase would be that I was "lied to" rather than I was "out-negotiated".

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-28-2014 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Just a thought as to responses for the sob stories, trying to get you to give the stuff away. Why not trump their sob story? Just say quietly "I can't accept less. We are trying to raise the money for my liver transplant."
The "funny" thing is that if you know me from the caregiver forum you may know that I could easily tell a very truthful "sob story" that is probably ten times sadder than just raising money for my liver transplant.

I will consider countering with my story the next time sometimes tells me a huge sob story.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-28-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
For those who enjoy treasure hunting at garage/yard sales: the World's Longest Yard Sale is coming up once again next week. Also known as the U.S. 127 Sale, it stretches through seven states from Michigan to Alabama, and includes thousands of roadside sales of everything under the sun.

This year's sale officially will be held from August 7-10, but things get under way unofficially up to a week ahead.

If you go: take plenty of bottled water - freeze it ahead of time and put it in a cooler with loose ice, snacks, a paring knife and a damp washcloth. Have these items on hand: paper towels, newspaper to wrap your finds, boxes, lightweight tote bags, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, an umbrella that can sub as a parasol, comfortable and sturdy enclosed shoes, bug spray, a lightweight jacket (you probably won't need it) and perhaps a price guide or two, if you're into antiques and/or collectibles. Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that will offer some sun protection - forget style and go for comfort and utility. If it's really hot and sunny, a straw hat isn't a bad thing to have on hand, or rather, on head.

Take plenty of small bills (nothing larger than a twenty), especially on the first day of the sale. A fanny pack is helpful and easier and safer than a purse.

Keep your gas tank at least half full - preferably completely full - at all times. Check your tires, belts, fluids, etc., before venturing out. Start early, when it's cooler. Make motel reservations now, if you can - many places close to US 127 are already filled for next week.

Use any decent restroom facility you run across, even if your need isn't urgent. Purchase local produce from stands along the way - tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, corn, peaches and more are all in season and ready to enjoy. Check out bake sales and grilled burgers at local churches for more goodies. Many places have food trucks with typical food truck offerings - soft drinks, hot dogs, chips, hamburgers, corn dogs, etc.

Be careful, keep your lights on, watch for places where the highway changes from two to four lanes and vice versa - especially vice versa - watch your speed, keep an eye on your rear view mirror, and drive carefully and defensively. Signal any turns well ahead of time, and watch out for other drivers who fail to do so. Do not park along US 127 itself - you'll find parking areas in fields have been set aside in rural areas, while residents in the towns along the way will have more typical garage/yard sales on their own property.

Safety concerns: Pace yourself, especially if the weather is hot, and make sure you stay hydrated. Report any children or animals left in hot cars (I did this for two small dogs left in a camper a year or two ago - why bring dogs and small children to such a strenuous event anyway?? They will be miserable. Kids five or older may enjoy it, if you make sure to keep them physically comfortable and involve them in appreciating the event).Watch your step when you're walking in mowed fields - they won't be as even as your back yard.

Take pictures. Make memories. Talk to other people, both buyers and sellers - you'll hear some great stories this way.

Bargain with sellers, if you like, but do so nicely: "Is that your best price?". or "Would you consider taking X amount for that?", or "Could you offer me a price break if I bought this as well as that?" are all acceptable ways to make an offer. Saying "I'll give you 25% of what you're asking" is not acceptable, nor is "You're asking way too much for that!', or "That's not worth a dime!".

Don't insult either the merchandise or the seller or the state or community in which you find yourself. Much of the sale is in the South, and Southerners can be sensitive about condescension or being singled out for their way of life, their accents, their food, etc. Be gracious - you are a guest and a visitor here.

So, what will you find at this amazing event? Everything. I've found treasures grossly underpriced - and bought them - but have also found a few antique dealers and others who have priced their merchandise as if it's for sale at Sotheby's and who refuse reasonable offers. These same folks find themselves packing up the bulk of their items on the last day of the sale - and rarely return the following year - frustrating for everyone. On the other hand, most sellers are great folks who are happy to see others interested in their offerings.

I last attended the 127 Sale in 2012, as I was out of the area last year. I noticed a vast amount of faux-rusty decorative iron pieces from China, lots of used clothing of mediocre quality, lots of junk, a few faked pieces of Jadeite and other collectible glass (once again, Chinese tat), but also found good collectible art pottery, very reasonably priced antique furniture (big pieces go cheap as they're hard to haul), collectible toys priced all over the map, lots of glassware, both old and new, delicious local produce, and more.

It's wise to go with only a general idea of what you want, rather than being specific - if you're looking for one demitasse in your g-grandmother's everyday china pattern, you're unlikely to find it. But you never know...

I'll report back after I check out the stretch of US 127 which is closest to my home next week. If anyone else reading here is going, good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Okay, so just above is my wordy, slightly off-topic post about the World's Longest Yard Sale.

So here is the funniest thing I can recall about a yard sale my late mother once gave (I was helping her):

A lot of half-used old perfume was on sale for very little - perhaps twenty-five cents per (aerosol) bottle. It didn't move well, until two little girls about eight years old dropped by with their allowances burning holes in their pockets. They bought almost every bottle! As I checked them out, I asked what they planned to do with all that nice perfume:

"We're going to have a perfume fight!"

I bet they were two sweet messes by the time they finished that particular bottle-battle!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Okay, so just above is my wordy, slightly off-topic post about the World's Longest Yard Sale.

So here is the funniest thing I can recall about a yard sale my late mother once gave (I was helping her):

A lot of half-used old perfume was on sale for very little - perhaps twenty-five cents per (aerosol) bottle. It didn't move well, until two little girls about eight years old dropped by with their allowances burning holes in their pockets. They bought almost every bottle! As I checked them out, I asked what they planned to do with all that nice perfume:

"We're going to have a perfume fight!"

I bet they were two sweet messes by the time they finished that particular bottle-battle!
Ha - at that point I would have given it to them, although it's cute they paid for it themselves. Hope they didn't spray each other in the eyes.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,424 times
We had a community garage sale this last March and so I had been putting things aside for a couple of weeks. I also finally decided it was time to get rid of a lot of my clothes that I didn't wear very much or were too small. Most of these clothes I had kept in big plastic tubs and space bags for the past 5 years. I kept swearing I would eventually lose that extra 15 pounds I gained, but I never did. So in coming to terms with the fact that I would most likely never be a size 5/7 again, it was time to unload. I also had so many designer name dresses that still fit but I haven't had a regular "office" job in 3 years, so it was time for those to go too. I used a couple of garment racks to display the dresses, blouses and pants and used a nice table to display the folded items like jeans, shorts and casual tops. All the items were priced in the $3 to $10 range depending on their "resale value". I too am an expert bargain shopper so I know what things sell for and what I would pay for something to get a deal.

A couple of hours into the sale a man in his early to mid 30's stops by. He was in running attire and said he was new to the neighborhood and was mostly coming around to "meet" the neighbors but also to pick up a few household items. He starts to look around and then works his way over to the clothes. He tells me that my taste in clothes is identical to his mother's and she would love everything I have but she doesn't live close. He also said his mother has very good taste and that the designer dresses are her size and he wants to buy some of them for her. So he said he was just out for a run and didn't have cash on him so he would be back because he only lives two streets over.

Well I never thought I would see him again, because you know how people will say they will be back for something, but they rarely do. Anyway, about 20 minutes later he does come back and he starts picking things out, so I go over and hold the items as he keeps handing them to me. We had a lovely conversation about his Mom and how he liked the neighborhood. He looked at some of the dress shoes and really wanted a few pairs but he said they were the wrong size. All in all he picked out about a dozen dresses and a couple of fancy blouses. I told him it would be $85. He said he had only $80 with him because he didn't think he would be buying that much. I said that would be fine and I bagged everything up. He took 4 $20 bills out of his pocket and paid me and he left.

Well my husband and I were quite pleased to make the sale and my husband said he hoped the guy enjoyed his new outfits.......well when I started to ask him what he meant by that and that the guy said he was buying them for his mother.......I hesitated then and started thinking about the guy a little more. He was about an inch or two taller than me and he looked like his weight was pretty close to mine. I also thought that if his mother was about my size, then why wouldn't my sizes 7 to 8 shoes not fit her?

So I would have to say that at first I was a little uncomfortable when I realized he might be wearing my clothes, but on further thought I told my husband, well at least he has good taste in clothes and they will be appreciated and taken care of.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I haven't had one or been to one in nearly 20 years. I remember telling myself my last one was going to be my last one. It's so much easier to donate. I was the type that would literally give stuff away (the charity truck was always scheduled to come the next day to pick up leftovers anyway) but would take a hard stance on people who annoyed me and not lower anything because I never cared about the money, I just wanted stuff gone. I can remember someone being really happy with a bunch of my clothes, which I never thought would sell, and someone else being happy with a bunch of baby clothes and toys. Sometimes when someone bought something I'd tell them to go ahead and pick something else too...like a BOGO! LOL! I was also surprised that people were thrilled to see the box of junk wires and cables and connectors I had collected in my garage over the years. Sometimes you have exactly what someone needs and make their day.

My garage sale memories goes back to when I was a young teen. I was playing at a friends house and her neighbor was having one, so we went to look. I bought my first record album there, Carole King's Tapestry. A few years later I went to another one and bought the book Watership Down and some yellow eyeshadow. These are solid memories because I enjoyed my purchases so much! About the yellow eye shadow, it was the 70's so you know...haha.

Now I actually get a little queasy thinking about garage sales, I dislike them so much.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I guess that we will have to agree to disagree.

I personally do not believe that 100%, complete, total lies have any place in negotiations. Saying that something is "too expensive" or "it is more than I want to spend" is one thing but telling someone that "my daughter's birthday is next week and I can not afford to buy her a present" and "my son is going into kindergarten and I can not buy him a back pack. I feel so sad that he will be the only child in his class without a backpack" and then "my niece's birthday is next week and I can not afford to buy her a present".

And after all those comments & many more, pulling out a $50 bill out of a stack of $50s to pay the $5 and then driving off in a new luxury vehicle hardly seems to me like a person that really could not afford to buy her daughter a birthday present or her son a backpack (if she even had any children at all). It does not seem like "fair negotiation".

Kokonutty, if you think that lying and cheating is fair in garage sales or in business deals then that is your opinion but I don't agree. I felt that a more correct phrase would be that I was "lied to" rather than I was "out-negotiated".
We don't really know what that stack of fifties was for - she might have been on her way to get her house out of foreclosure, pay the electric bill, or make a down payment on her liver transplant. Maybe she really had nothing to spare.

Nobody forced you to accept her offer - own it.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
We had a community garage sale this last March and so I had been putting things aside for a couple of weeks. I also finally decided it was time to get rid of a lot of my clothes that I didn't wear very much or were too small. Most of these clothes I had kept in big plastic tubs and space bags for the past 5 years. I kept swearing I would eventually lose that extra 15 pounds I gained, but I never did. So in coming to terms with the fact that I would most likely never be a size 5/7 again, it was time to unload. I also had so many designer name dresses that still fit but I haven't had a regular "office" job in 3 years, so it was time for those to go too. I used a couple of garment racks to display the dresses, blouses and pants and used a nice table to display the folded items like jeans, shorts and casual tops. All the items were priced in the $3 to $10 range depending on their "resale value". I too am an expert bargain shopper so I know what things sell for and what I would pay for something to get a deal.

A couple of hours into the sale a man in his early to mid 30's stops by. He was in running attire and said he was new to the neighborhood and was mostly coming around to "meet" the neighbors but also to pick up a few household items. He starts to look around and then works his way over to the clothes. He tells me that my taste in clothes is identical to his mother's and she would love everything I have but she doesn't live close. He also said his mother has very good taste and that the designer dresses are her size and he wants to buy some of them for her. So he said he was just out for a run and didn't have cash on him so he would be back because he only lives two streets over.

Well I never thought I would see him again, because you know how people will say they will be back for something, but they rarely do. Anyway, about 20 minutes later he does come back and he starts picking things out, so I go over and hold the items as he keeps handing them to me. We had a lovely conversation about his Mom and how he liked the neighborhood. He looked at some of the dress shoes and really wanted a few pairs but he said they were the wrong size. All in all he picked out about a dozen dresses and a couple of fancy blouses. I told him it would be $85. He said he had only $80 with him because he didn't think he would be buying that much. I said that would be fine and I bagged everything up. He took 4 $20 bills out of his pocket and paid me and he left.

Well my husband and I were quite pleased to make the sale and my husband said he hoped the guy enjoyed his new outfits.......well when I started to ask him what he meant by that and that the guy said he was buying them for his mother.......I hesitated then and started thinking about the guy a little more. He was about an inch or two taller than me and he looked like his weight was pretty close to mine. I also thought that if his mother was about my size, then why wouldn't my sizes 7 to 8 shoes not fit her?

So I would have to say that at first I was a little uncomfortable when I realized he might be wearing my clothes, but on further thought I told my husband, well at least he has good taste in clothes and they will be appreciated and taken care of.
Thank you for the chuckle this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House