Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,605 times

Advertisements

If tiling over I just do 1 coat green mud. Lightly sand then use Redguard. It's a rubberized paint that will give you a great moisture barrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 06:38 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you want a long lasting tiled shower, DuRock or Backer board is the way to go, and you don't have to finish anything. I use fiberglass tape at the joints and corners as explained in my previous post. Good tapers know how to do such things. Yes, it adds to the cost, but saves you a lot of headaches in the long run, because green board is not moisture proof. Water will eventually zip through the grout and soften the wall behind the tiles. I do this kind of work for a living.

Now, contractors who are asked to save labor cost by the owner would use whatever the owner wants, but at my own house I would never use green board for the shower walls.
In general. That is not code compliant. You still need either drywall or 1" plaster under it to meet fire code requirement then a water proof membrane with the backer board over it to meet plumbing code requirements.
Dosent mean people ever do it right thou.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:25 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
I once remodeled a bathroom once and used wood beadboard on the walls and ceiling. It will probably last forever.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:08 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
The guy here that builds quality showers always uses RedGard over the green board before tiling. Claims it has eliminated problems moisture problems.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The guy here that builds quality showers always uses RedGard over the green board before tiling. Claims it has eliminated problems moisture problems.

Redgard is good. costs a lot thou and if you are not careful you get runs that are difficult to deal with.
You still need to use either a mortar base or backer board of some type below the tile.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:20 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If you want a long lasting tiled shower, DuRock or Backer board is the way to go, and you don't have to finish anything. I use fiberglass tape at the joints and corners as explained in my previous post. Good tapers know how to do such things. Yes, it adds to the cost, but saves you a lot of headaches in the long run, because green board is not moisture proof. Water will eventually zip through the grout and soften the wall behind the tiles. I do this kind of work for a living.

Now, contractors who are asked to save labor cost by the owner would use whatever the owner wants, but at my own house I would never use green board for the shower walls.

Agreed. Cement board only for tiled walls in wet areas. I'm specifically using Hardi-board for my shower walls then transition to green-board for the painted walls.

(I'm about to begin a full bath remodel. I'm currently down to the studs.)

What brand/style do you recommend for cement board fasteners?

Last edited by mandK; 06-16-2016 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-16-2016, 11:46 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Redgard is good. costs a lot thou and if you are not careful you get runs that are difficult to deal with.
You still need to use either a mortar base or backer board of some type below the tile.

Redgard not DIY friendly?

would Redgard over Hardi-board provide double moisture protection? How about 4ml plastic sheathing between studs and Hardi-board for 3 times protection?

Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,689 times
Cool Optimistic question

Can you waterproof green board and use moisture paint in the shower for the people that can't afford a $2,000 Crappy tile job.🤔😂

Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Not really, but some of the fiberglass units are cheap.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:46 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
I used cement board with 3-4 coats of red guard...the redguard coating made it very hard to see water getting to anything. You could probably water proof a cardboard box with that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House