Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,388 times

Advertisements

Re the Dyson..I really think it comes down to the model..The "animal" seems to get high marks from it's owners but it is heavy which is the deal breaker for me...Other models like my Dyson cannister are not as effective. I can run over the same place on a carpet over and over and still have pet hair on the carpet..I do love my "babies" but their hair is EVERYWHERE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 05:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Miele runs rings around Dyson for reliability.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 AM

311 posts, read 1,823,882 times
Since you are looking for an affordable alternative to all those mentioned above - we just bought a hoover windtunnel - bagged type. Cost $160 and works great. Top rated by consumer reports also. I think the one without the bag is good too, but I prefer the bagged kind. Thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Good Housekeeping gave the sears kenmore great reviews. I think the price was around 300plus

Old 12-21-2007, 03:53 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Good Housekeeping gave the sears kenmore great reviews. I think the price was around 300plus
Too bad I can't! I've been through 3 of them (replaced under warranty). The third one needed repairs and the person at the repair center told me customers are bringing them in all the time. While I like the performance, they all have had major electrical issues.

As for Dyson, I was recently told by a sales person at a high end carpet store that they're good as far as cleaning, but they also destroy some carpet fibers.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default Sale about to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Sears has their consumer reports top rated Kenmore on line right now on sale for $249. Was at one point $$349. I belive there is only one or two days left. I ordered one on line today.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I've got a bagged Kenmore canister. Works well enough (but not as well as the Eureka Boss) but the on/off switch quit working so the plug into the outlet turns it on/off, and a wheel on the beater brush keeps falling off. I still use it upstairs but I'm not inclined to buy another one. At least the Eureka only cost about $150 so if starts falling apart, I don't have that much in it.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
I have a few Sears Kenmore progressive Canister Vacuums. Sears Kenmore brand just isnt what it used to be. I think ever since they merged with K-Mart, a lot of the Sears brands have been cheapened. My first vacuum was a hand me down for my apartment...my parents had it for like 10 years...a Kenmore canister....I used it for another 3 yearas before the motor finally went.

As for now, either quality is in the toilet or I have no luck. One I bought three years ago and it has had the same problem that has been repaired twice. Now it if off warranty and is doing it again. The other two were received from a friend who works for Sears in their repair center. One was brand new and the other was refurbished. A House with multiple floors plus animals = vacuum on each floor. (Lazy, Smart, IDK).

On a side note, he said the Dysons are in the shop a lot for repairs and he wouldn't spend the money on them. I wouldnt spend the money on them regardless of his inside tip....but we also have a friend who has the Animal and she swears by it. Too much coin for me to spend though.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:14 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetacoma View Post
What do you consider important in a vacuum? Do you have a lot of surface changes? Do you prefer uprights or canisters by enough to prejudice you one way or the other? Allergy issues? Is noise a problem for you? How about weight?

FWIW (and it's not worth too much if you're scared of the price of a Dyson ) I LOVE my Miele. It's quiet, light, quiet, powerful, quiet, very efficient at filtering things out and quiet. Oh, yeah - it's also very quiet. The fact that's it's dealt with up to 10 cats helps too. I think that we've had it now for 6 or 7 years and there's been no cost other than changing belts and bags. Even the cord retractor works every time
Great post. Which model do you use and recommend?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:08 AM

323 posts, read 1,968,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Great post. Which model do you use and recommend?

Thanks.
We have the "Silver Moon" model (s558i). If we were making the same decision today we might opt for a different model just because our circumstances have changed. We were in a house with a large amount of burgundy carpet that acted as a cat hair magnet and one of the cats that we had at the time had long, silky, white hair on his belly. We felt then that the extra power and extra large powerhead were worth the extra money. Today, in a house with all hardwood floors and only short haired cats I'd probably go for a smaller, less expensive model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House