Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:59 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
It's a hollow-core masonite door, which means essentially it's cardboard. I installed one of these cat flaps in a hollow core masonite interior door (no panels, though) without any problems. Why does your dad say No to the paneled doors? Is it the paneled door in particular or installing the cat door in it that's the problem?

Also: do you really want to cut a cat door into a brand new door? If it were me, I'd put the cat door in the old door and live with it, then install a new door if you relocate the cat box or decide to sell the place.
I'm not really sure. I mean, I even see someone who uploaded the picture online (onto the HD website) and they basically cut right through a few panels. I'm not sure what he's thinking, TBH, because he's the one who told me to get a hollow core (since, his words were identical to yours) and then he said forget about the panels.

The doors are all old/beat up in our apartment and most of them need replacing. Since you can see five doors from my "office area" it would annoy me to have all of them the nice, new paneled ones and that one stay the the old, crappy door. Now if it was some random door or in the basement or no where near where I am sitting all of the time, then maybe. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We have a hollow door to our laundry room that has a cat door in it. We didn't install it though - it came with the house.

We took the flap off the door though, since it annoyed the cats. They much prefer the open hole so that their precious faces and heads don't have to suffer the ignominy of having to push open a flap door.
I have a feeling the flap will annoy them too but I'll try it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've installed several cat doors over the years, in solid and hollow panel doors. No issues whatsoever.

Actually I do have one issue. My cat has grown so incredibly large (22 pounds) that we had to go up a cat door size. So now my dogs can get out of it and into the garage (we keep our litter box in the garage). They don't actually DO anything in the garage other than run around looking spazzed out...while I'm looking. But in secret I suspect they are sneaking out there to nibble on a little cat poop treat once in awhile.

Honestly...dogs are so gross. I don't even know why I love them...and I sure don't know why I allow them to put their tongues on me at ALL!
I'm glad to hear it. I don't think they'll get any bigger, though one is on the bigger size (not twenty-two pounds though!) Glad to hear you've been able to put them in through panel doors without a problem.

I love dogs but my husband is so allergic. If we ever get out of this apartment, I'm getting one anyway. I guess I find the cats to be more disgusting because I'm kind of stuck in this apartment with this box and it seems like two cats doesn't double the feces it quadruples it. At least the dogs can be let outside to go to the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The biggest problem is that the cat litter smell will be concentrated to that area, and all the stuff that's in that closet will smell like used cat litter. And the cat litter dust will ALL over everything. And the smell will have no way to escape.

I have cats, too. What might work is make a closet that is separate with a separate door a few feet up from the floor. And make the bottom a little separate cat litter place with no door so there is still some sort of air circulation to dispel odors... and you have to make it easy to get to clean daily.
I've had a cat box in a closet that always had to stay slightly ajar and there weren't too many problems in terms of odor if we kept up on the cleaning but yes, that litter smell is definitely still there. In my old apartment, I ended up covering everything else in the closet with this sheet type of thing that actually helped quite a bit. I just hope it works out because I don't have anywhere to really put the box.

I am thinking I might usually keep it closed and when do a regular "cleaning" of the closet, and leave it open with the fan on right next to this closet. Maybe it won't be so bad. Speaking of cats, I can smell one just went to the bathroom right as I am typing this. Bah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
It's unlikely the pet door will fit neatly into one of the panels. Ours didn't.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
It's unlikely the pet door will fit neatly into one of the panels. Ours didn't.
I'm getting a small pet door and a door with a wider panel. I wish they had these particular doors at the place so I could kind of just hold it up to the panel and see if it would fit nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House