Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM

299 posts, read 556,746 times

Advertisements

We just bought a new Kenmore (made by LG for them) front-loading HE washer and we're very pleased with it. We owned a Whirlpool HE washer before this which was horrible, by comparison. (It was a top loader.)

Yes, this new LG does take longer to do a load of wash (an hour to 1:20 or so is pretty typical), but it has very good energy star rating for electricity usage, and conserves a lot of water, while getting the clothes clean w/very little detergent usage.

I heard all the cautions about mildew build-up with these front loaders too, but so far - no issues. We always leave the door open when it's not running though, to ensure it dries out. I've also been advised to grab a towel or rag and wipe around the seal for the door after each use, to keep it dry as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 08:26 PM

299 posts, read 556,746 times
Default re: Speed Queen

Our dryer is a Speed Queen (despite owning a mismatched set right now with the Kenmore/LG HE washer).

I paid about a $250 premium to get the Speed Queen over comparable electric dryers from competitors. My primary motivation was the good reviews online and a web site stating they were among the last washers/dryers still made completely in the USA.

IMO, the Speed Queens are *excellent* if you're seeking the traditional type of units you're used to from a decade or two ago. They take the attitude of, "If it's not broke, don't change it." Absolutely not energy efficient though, and relatively few local appliance stores carry them -- so you may have to go mail order to get one. I've heard, though, that they're really good about carrying repair parts for pretty much everything in one for a good 15 years or more. So they're supposed to be pretty good for the DYI types who want to fix them on their own when they break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Always, Always check customer reviews before you make major purchases. Do not trust websites like Consumer Reports since too many people have been burnt by their advice. When ever the subject of the best washers & dryers comes up the brand "Speed Queen" wins hands down, consumers have nothing but praise for them.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I have a Whirlpool HE and it very quite compared to old washers. Saves water and I was impressed with how clean clothes come out. I have to disagree with you the old Maytags stopped being made in early 90's where by far the most reliable. Speed Queen parts are high and hard to get. Since many parts are be basically the same suppliers smaller differences now days.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 AM

65 posts, read 161,177 times
OP, I have a similar (or maybe even the same) HE top loader. For various reasons, did not want to buy a front loader. Because it is a little bit odd, I add an extra rinse when I use the normal cycle; that seems to help. It has a button to make that part of the normal cycle, so is not any trouble.

Also, when I chose this model, I did it with a lot of skepticism about the whole HE low water idea, so bought a model that also will fill with water like a traditional agitator post machine. I think it's called the sheets/bulky items setting. There is another cycle called Deep water, or some such, but it seems to fill more with the sheets setting. Sometimes a sheet or towel will end the cycle stretched across the center where the agitator post would have been in an old machine, but so far nothing's been damaged.

I've had the machine about a year. In retrospect I might have bought a front loader even if fitting it in the space available would have been a bit awkward, but problems are not bad enough to sell and re-buy.

Good luck. Try extra rinse when you are in normal cycle, and the sheets setting when you want a decent amount of water.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM

677 posts, read 933,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
Our dryer is a Speed Queen (despite owning a mismatched set right now with the Kenmore/LG HE washer).

I paid about a $250 premium to get the Speed Queen over comparable electric dryers from competitors. My primary motivation was the good reviews online and a web site stating they were among the last washers/dryers still made completely in the USA.

IMO, the Speed Queens are *excellent* if you're seeking the traditional type of units you're used to from a decade or two ago. They take the attitude of, "If it's not broke, don't change it." Absolutely not energy efficient though, and relatively few local appliance stores carry them -- so you may have to go mail order to get one. I've heard, though, that they're really good about carrying repair parts for pretty much everything in one for a good 15 years or more. So they're supposed to be pretty good for the DYI types who want to fix them on their own when they break down.
Another great review about Speed Queens. True, they're not sold in the big box stores but by independent appliance stores which can be found on speedqueen.com under "Home Laundry". SQ gives you a 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty as well as a lifetime on their stainless steel tubs. All other mfg's give you a 1 yr warranty for parts & labor. SQ doesn't make any of that HE nonsense, so just how efficient can those washers & dryers be when the running time is 90 minutes per load? And the complaints, OMG about those machines with mold, rips & tares in clothing, clothes still dirty due to lack of water in the machines, needing special types of detergents, can't use fabric softener sheets, machines are cheaply made but the price tag is extremely expensive, & on & on & on. And how many testimonies have I read where people were so disgusted with those machines they trashed them & bought Speed Queens & have lived happily ever after since. There are many great youtube video's about SQ washers & dryers. People please research before you buy.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Now we are VERY happy with an old style (they still make them) Speed Queen. Our clothes are clean, has adjustable water levels, water temps, etc. and it's done in 45 minutes on a large, heavy duty load. YOU control what the machine does by setting the dials. Speed Queen is all steel with a stainless tub.
I completely agree with the Speed Queen. I've got the top loader & dryer. LOVE it! After reading all the bad reviews of the machines found at the big box stores, I checked online for a local dealer and have been more than pleased since. It's been 2 years now.

FWIW, I use the HE detergent in my SQ. It's actually recommended, and it works just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House