Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM

274 posts, read 678,527 times

Advertisements

I am learning to lay ceramic tile. Is slate tile similar to ceramic tile? This site, Build Direct, has slate tiles for SUPER cheap...but it seems TOO Cheap...like too good to be true. But they're wholesalers, so that could be why it is cheaper, no? Slate Tile | BuildDirect&#174

Anyway, does anyone have any pros and cons they'd like to share about installing slate in a kitchen? I like the look of slate IMMENSELY. I'm a granola-y, natural materials type gal. How about the entire first floor of a home in slate? Anyone?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
How about the entire first floor of a home in slate? Anyone?
I have this and like it. Hate carpeting. Looks clean even when it's not. Nothing stains it. Anything you drop on it will break. Cool in summer, a bit chilly in winter. Easy to move furniture around. Not for kids or seniors who may fall. Great for pets.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 PM

274 posts, read 678,527 times
Thanks for the info. Do you live in a cold climate or warm or 4 seasons? Is it a job that you would say requires a "talented" installer, or is it something I can learn to do on my own? Start with the kitchen and work my way to the dining room which flows into the living room? Build Direct website (see above) has slate tiles for 2.60 ish per sq/ft., some even cheaper than that on sale. That seems like a great deal. Most tiles and even engineered hardwoods, bamboo, etc, are way more than that. I love the look but people say it's not a good idea to do for inside. I tend to gravitate toward this look and rustic feel. I just don't know anything about installation--yet. thanks for any advice!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Live in SoCal, so it's good at keeping the house cool. My floor is exceptionally rustic because it is ungauged, and is is a bit of a trip hazard, but used to it by now. A handyman friend did it, but remember that stone doesn't flex, so measurement is important, skill with a tile saw needed, and the base floor needs to be fairly level. Slate is very inexpensive. Slate is used on patios and even roofs of castles, as it lasts literally hundreds of years. I have seen it in many contemporary bathrooms on floors and walls. It's solid, unlike marble or ceramic tile. I have even accidentally dropped workout weight plates on it and no tiles have ever broken. It is impervious to water, which makes it great for a first floor for any possible flooding. In my kitchen it looks exactly like when it was installed 14 years ago. I think walking on stone reminds me of being outdoors, or maybe it's in my DNA from caveman days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House