Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times

Advertisements

It is a good idea for both of you to know a bit about repairs even if you do end up hiring some of it done at least you will have an idea if was done correctly. Ask handymen to explain what they are doing and observe them. Utube videos are very informative if you watch several on the same subject as quality varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:46 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I believe this question would be better served in the Psychology Forum.

This exact scenario has been a debate about single mothers, today's economy, and today's technology. Or; "the wussification of America".

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sure but that is just fluff A project will last much longer
The point was more that he could be coerced into the time to do the research to learn to do the repairs. Personally it just comes natural to me, and combined with my education sometimes I think I know too much. Our furnace quit working, and if you read the cover, and the manual it tells you how to diagnose it. This guy could start out small, and tackle bigger projects. I very rarely hire outside help. I've read through what you folks have done, and it looks great. My last project was a 30 million dollar 3 year hospital upgrade.
As others have said youtube can be a powerful tool. I bought the field service manual for a car I bought new for $200. I get mad searching through it, and eventually find a youtube video someone created that takes me step by step.
Point, she has power, so use it.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What about you?

My husband and I plan on possibly taking some classes together in the near future. (And for reference, my husband may love camping and the outdoors but he cannot fix anything and only knows how to change a tire on a car.) It is what it is! But we plan on improving. (So I don't need to call my dad all of the time.)

You're lucky. My stepdaughter will always have to call her father and I as her husband has no interest in learning anything new. We don't mind but I feel bad for her when we are gone.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You're lucky. My stepdaughter will always have to call her father and I as her husband has no interest in learning anything new. We don't mind but I feel bad for her when we are gone.
Life is a lot more expensive for people like that.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Good luck.
My dad is 74 and my mom still can't get him to.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:21 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
We just purchased a home and I'm not terribly handy myself. I can do some basic things, but anything mid to major repairs is going to have someone professionally fix it. I guess it really boils down to, what exactly are you wanting him to do? What sort of projects or repairs?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:34 AM

50,349 posts, read 63,928,555 times
It's like people who say they can't cook. Anyone who can read can cook, and anyone who can read or watch the internet can fix things, but only if the desire is there.
Some people find the challenge of fixing things or other DIY projects to be fun, but others think its drudgery. Its OK.

What is worse than your DH not knowing how to fix things, is if he thought he could, but made a mess of it.
Some men are long on confidence, but can't finish anything.

My BIL constructed the Taj Mahal of garden sheds in his back yard about 10 years ago, but its still covered in Tyvec and the windows are sitting inside of it. He thinks he can fix or build anything, which he can, so he won't pay anyone to do it, but nothing ever gets finished. A shrink might say if you don't finish things, then no one can criticize you, because "its not finished".

Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
You can't "get" your husband to do anything. He's the same man you married, and if he's not interested or doesn't have the aptitude, there's no fixing that. If you're so concerned about saving money on repairs, learn to do it yourself. Just because you've got 2 X chromosomes don't mean you can't learn to fix a dishwasher or whatever it is you need done.

I bought a house as a single woman, and I factored the cost of "maintenance" into my budget because I know I just find home repair stuff kinda frustrating. A friend of mine has a better head for that stuff and she teaches herself to fix things all the time. She also has a handyman who takes care of the things she doesn't feel like doing.

YouTube features videos on how to fix almost anything. Give it a try if this is really important to you and stop asking your husband to be something he's not.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
My husband is not very into fixing even the most basic things around the house. And I'm no good at it either. It's like we are Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb when it comes to DIY projects. Unfortunately this can get very expensive when owning a home and having to call handymen or repair people for everything. It seems (and I hope not to sound sexist but probably will) that many men enjoy these sort of projects. Is this because they grew up with a dad who taught them so it's more natural? Or is it just something that certain men/women are good at for whatever reason? Do the Home Depot classes help? Just trying to figure out a way to not have to spend so much on the labor of seemingly basic repairs. Any tips will help.
Honestly, it is a lost cause. If he can't do it now or didn't want to before - why force him?

I always say marry a person that is handy around the house or someone with money so you can afford to pay someone to do it.

One of the things people overlook when they become homeowners, something is bound to go wrong and need repairing.

My SO is very handy, but I hate for him to do things now since he is getting older.

I was in the Air Force and our job required us to do all kinds of things - using heavy duty power tools, run electrical, make intricate repairs. Most of the guys that I worked with (I am female) knew how to do stuff already. The ones that didn't were really just kind of lazy, lackadaisical about things in general.

Focus on his good qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House