Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty good with mechanical things and household type repairs, and I work in a place where I offer advice to people all day long on how to do things on their boats. I learned a long time ago that the myth that all men are good with tools is just that, a myth. I will be explaining the most basic task to a customer and I see this glazed look in their eyes and realize they are not getting it at all.

But we are not all good at the same things. When someone starts talking about electronics or things like smart phones, apps, etc, I get that same glazed look in my eyes.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Lock up his bottle of little blue pills, hide the key, and tell him he can't have any until he gets the project done. He'll be on his knees begging you for projects to do.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:09 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Lock up his bottle of little blue pills, hide the key, and tell him he can't have any until he gets the project done. He'll be on his knees begging you for projects to do.
Well that's contrary to your tag line "thinking outside the box"- You're gonna make him think about "inside the box" then!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:21 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How come? Are you bulimic?
Oh -- we have cats. And one has IBS and occasionally throws up. And then there's the occasional hairball.

I've only had one really bad barfing incident. Norovirus.

Next house will have TWO bathrooms.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 AM

346 posts, read 550,668 times
If it's basic stuff around the house and DH doesn't want to tackle it, you can. Just use Youtube and Google.
If it's beyond basic, and your DH doesn't want to tackle it, don't force or coerce him to try. If you're lucky, his fix will simply be an eyesore, but more often than not someone who doesn't know how to use a tool or know what they're doing can really hurt themselves and others. So just call a professional...less headaches/heartaches later.

So start doing DIY stuff yourself. If there's a hint of interest on his part, he'll join in. If not, then there's nothing you can do. No one is born handy, and not everyone wants to be *shrugs*

Old 08-08-2014, 04:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
If your husband wrote in here and asked, "How can I get my wife to cook more?' I'd tell him he was a sexist and ask what's wrong with him that he can't get into the kitchen and learn some skills himself.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:13 AM

723 posts, read 868,510 times
I can offer a rather vulgar suggestion that might motivate him...

Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times
i have duct tape and a hammer. thats all i need. if it moves and it isn't supposed to i use duct tape. if it is supposed to move and isn't i use the hammer.

nothing easier than that!....

which is why i don't own a house anymore.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
Marry a handyman?

Old 08-08-2014, 07:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You're lucky. My stepdaughter will always have to call her father and I as her husband has no interest in learning anything new. We don't mind but I feel bad for her when we are gone.
I know. One day my dad will be physically unable to do it and then he won't be here. My husband and I both have/had fathers who are mechanically inclined (mechanics, actually, ha) and we are the complete opposite. When my dad starts to talk about cars to me, my eyes just glaze over and I have no idea what he is talking about. He has a touch of knowledge about everything and redid his entire bathroom himself. I don't like feeling helpless and stupid so I'd rather learn.

I did find a college that has continuing education classes where they teach you things like installing tile and sheetrock/plaster repair. They also have a carpentry program for a reasonable price that I would consider doing because I am insane. I actually checked out some woodworking classes because I'd be very interested in learning how to build things but they are $$ and sold out. I'm really a hands-on type of learner when it comes to these things---watching videos/people really doesn't help me. I need someone to watch me, tell me I'm doing it right and give me some reassurance. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Honestly, it is a lost cause. If he can't do it now or didn't want to before - why force him?

I always say marry a person that is handy around the house or someone with money so you can afford to pay someone to do it.
I know. I thought it would be a quality that someone would know about someone before they got married. Like I knew that my husband wasn't good at paying attention to money/budgeting/paying bills so I do it. But I also made sure to marry someone who is open to learning new stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
As a married man, I can assure you that the single most effective way to motivate your husband is to give him the one thing he craves more than anything else: positive reinforcement from you, the woman he loves.
I always do this---not out of motivation, but because I really do appreciate my husband doing things for me and the household. (And he thanks me/appreciates it too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House