Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:51 PM

686 posts, read 1,767,381 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of adding an OTR microwave, but we will need to move the cabinets up for that. I wonder if the Danbury code prescribes/proscribes the spacing between the stove top and the bottom of the microwave. Code or not, what is the optimum spacing?

Of course, there is the actual task of moving up the cabinets and figuring out venting. However, we are delaying execution-planning until we determine spacing.

(BTW, the range-side of the kitchen has 3 cabinets: one OTR and one on either side of the range. The current thinking is to move up just the OTR cabinet. The cabinets on the sides cannot be moved for "reachability" .)

Love to hear your experience and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 03:13 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I am moving this to the House forum where it will get more answers. JayCT, Moderator

Old 08-12-2014, 03:16 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
There is a height requirement from the top of the range to the bottom of the microwave. It is not a local code though. Your local appliance store should know this (off hand I do not remember it). Give them a call and ask. Jay

Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
In three or four years, you will be regretting not taking the advice I am about to give. DON'T DO IT.

Microwave control boards are not up to the heat and humidity that a stovetop generates if you cook more than one pop tart per day. They are cheap-azz made by the lowest Chinese bidder out of parts that barely meet minimum specs to work.

Anyway, I know that fashion and "convenience will win out. Get back to us in four years. By that length of time I was on my third OTR microwave.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I hate mine. There is barely enough room for a large stock pot to be on the stove without constantly hitting the bottom of it with the lid when I check on making big batches of soup. The digital display is no longer working because of the humidity/steam off my cooking. The only plus I can see is that I like the light coming off of it when I cook.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,988,252 times
The one thing I hate about over the range microwaves are the vent fans attached to the microwave. They don't do anything except blow the air all over your kitchen. I'd rather have a hood that truly vents the air outside.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:35 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Hmmmm... we have had OTR microwaves ever since they came out. They last an average of 10 years.
And we cook at home daily... even steamy things like pastas and soups. NO issues at all with humidity affecting the controls.

To the OP...
The specs should be listed in the manual.

from Clearance - General List of Minimum Requirements
Over the range microwaves require a minimum 66" mounting height from floor to top of the micro. The 66" from the floor dimension will allow approximately 13"-16" between the cooktop and the bottom front of the microwave.
All current over the range microwaves can be installed over gas cooking products up to and including 5 burner stoves. As long as the 66" minimum from the floor to the top of the microwave is followed there will be no performance or warranty problem. This includes Advantium ovens and convection microwaves.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The one thing I hate about over the range microwaves are the vent fans attached to the microwave. They don't do anything except blow the air all over your kitchen. I'd rather have a hood that truly vents the air outside.
Mine have always vented to the outside.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:37 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,264,721 times
My niece got a second degree burn from hot food she heated in an OTR micro. She spilled the contents on her upper chest.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:38 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Many of us have MW's above the stove that have proper venting to the outside and are high enough not to interfere with cooking. My only complaint is that it is difficult to find high quality devices... it seems that most are built by a couple of manufacturers in China and are compromised to keep the retail low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House