Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:50 AM

8,567 posts, read 12,360,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Hmm. that makes no sense. It's my right to save money, right? I mean, look at all the people flocking to DE to buy clothes! Those are tangible goods, right? Is the IRS going to come and tax me me on my new Clark shoes I bought?
Um...you know better, right? The IRS doesn't collect state taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,797,192 times
How would it possibly bite you ? Think of it this way..........if you were on vacation in that State and stopped by a Home Depot to buy something, it would be a legal transaction in all respects. So why would it be any different if you went there to get the tile you want ?

I buy parts on line all the time from companies who don't have stores in Florida, where I live, so I pay no sales tax on those purchases. Totally legal and above board.

Go get your tile.

Don

Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,860,544 times
I'm from Philly and we do it all the time. Regardless if there are any "use taxes" or not. I HAVE read HERE of people being notified in arrears of owing tax on internet purchases like furniture from NC.

The ONLY thing I recall along that line is people who used to go over to Jersey for booze. They'd routinely get stopped by cops waiting for it.

I have to really LAUGH that citizens/politicians think it's OK to have huge state taxes so they can spend their butts off then support laws that claim "unfair advantage" when the citizens use their GOD GIVEN FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE to make purchases any darn where they WANT.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,893,004 times
Pay cash. Haul it yourself.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,150,379 times
There probably is a state code where you live that says you are supposed to declare these out of state purchases and pay taxes on them when you file your state income tax each year. Same thing with internet purchases where the company doesn't charge sales tax. That just means they aren't collecting the tax on behalf of your state, but technically, the purchaser still owes the tax to the state.

How many people actually comply with these laws is anyone's guess.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,624,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm from Philly and we do it all the time. Regardless if there are any "use taxes" or not. I HAVE read HERE of people being notified in arrears of owing tax on internet purchases like furniture from NC.

The ONLY thing I recall along that line is people who used to go over to Jersey for booze. They'd routinely get stopped by cops waiting for it.

I have to really LAUGH that citizens/politicians think it's OK to have huge state taxes so they can spend their butts off then support laws that claim "unfair advantage" when the citizens use their GOD GIVEN FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE to make purchases any darn where they WANT.
God gave you the freedom to buy something without paying sales tax? Why did he limit that to the freedom to buy things without sales taxes in only a few states? Why don't you go to the stores in your home state and tell them that god gave you the freedom not to pay sales tax?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,582,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Just wondering. We live rather close to Delaware. We'd like to put tile in our new home....Here's a thought!~Let's go to Home Depot or Lowes or elsewhere in DELAWARE! No sales tax. Might save a PRETTY PENNY?

Can this thinking come back to bite me somehow???

Say you live in OR, no sale tax, yet you buying flooring in Calif, you must show your Lic as proof of OR resident,they'll Calif wave the tax fee! Keep the Bill as your proof! ... Done this many times while building...

Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 AM

418 posts, read 726,173 times
I live in Oregon, but when I bought blinds at the Lowe's a mile from the Washington border, they told me most people from WA have their purchases delivered to the store rather than their homes for this very reason.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM

11,075 posts, read 17,485,447 times
I really don't think authorities from your state are going to stop you at the state line to check and see what you bought in a tax free state. Here in Kentucky, the tax on cigarettes has been way lower than neighboring states. As long as you are buying for yourself and not for resale, you can buy as many as you want. On the other hand, Kentucky is hurting for not having a tax free weekend before school starts. Tennessee has one of these where you don't pay tax on anything having to do with school. Kentuckians are flocking to Tennessee for laptops and other items.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,468,324 times
Just do it. And stop yakking about it. Get in the habit of doing it whenever the savings are large enough to justify the trip. Nobody's keeping track. If you knew what those "sales taxes" are really being used for, you wouldn't think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House