Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:14 PM

274 posts, read 678,484 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. We live rather close to Delaware. We'd like to put tile in our new home....Here's a thought!~Let's go to Home Depot or Lowes or elsewhere in DELAWARE! No sales tax. Might save a PRETTY PENNY?

Can this thinking come back to bite me somehow???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Neighboring people do that all the time in Oregon which has no sales tax. They even built a big shopping mall right on the border of Washington state.

The car registration rates in Oregon are low as well. I think the same for an RV as a car. Anyway people from back east were registering their RV's in Oregon! (I think they got suspicious when they drove through street after street and saw so many RVs from Oregon.)

Also you can move to Nevada and not have to pay any state income tax!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Since none us here at C-D know what you're really capable of, maybe you should ask yourself that question.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We often hold off on big-ticket purchases for when we are in Oregon. Saving 10% can add up on things like an I-pad or in your case, flooring.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:37 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
Done all the time in Vermont. VT'ers go to NH for big purchases, since there's no sales tax there.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Since none us here at C-D know what you're really capable of, maybe you should ask yourself that question.
Not sure what you mean by saying that?? I'm wondering for tax purposes since we're trying to figure out the most economical way to buy tile and live close to DE...we could save over 500 bucks or more. but for tax reasons I'm wondering if home improvement stuff needs to be documented?

Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Just wondering. We live rather close to Delaware. We'd like to put tile in our new home....Here's a thought!~Let's go to Home Depot or Lowes or elsewhere in DELAWARE! No sales tax. Might save a PRETTY PENNY?

Can this thinking come back to bite me somehow???
If you're in MD, take a look at this MD website re USE taxes:

Maryland Taxes - Individual Taxpayers - Sales and Use Tax

where among other things, it says:
"Every time you purchase taxable tangible goods from businesses outside of Maryland, whether in person, over the phone, or on the Internet, the purchase is subject to Maryland's 6 percent use tax or 9 percent alcoholic beverage tax if you use the merchandise in Maryland. Maryland' use tax protects Maryland businesses from unfair competition. Local businesses would be at a competitive disadvantage if consumers were entitled to a 6 or 9 percent discount on items purchased from out of state businesses."

If you're in PA, they probably have same rule. Most, if not all, states do.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Provided you bring it home yourself and install it yourself, who is going to know? If you get it delivered they'll collect PA tax on it.

Most states purport to charge a "use tax" on out of state merchandise "used" in that state. I choose to consider this an unconstitutional dodge around the prohibition on states taxing interstate commerce.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Hmm. that makes no sense. It's my right to save money, right? I mean, look at all the people flocking to DE to buy clothes! Those are tangible goods, right? Is the IRS going to come and tax me me on my new Clark shoes I bought? C'mon. So if I install it myself I can do it? Grrr. We just need to save as much money as possible as we don't have money!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Like Nybbler said, most states which collect sales taxes, charge "Use Taxe" on items purchased elsewhere and used within the state. However, this is an extremely difficult tax to collect, and it is rarely enforced.

May I suggest you pay with cash at the Delaware Home Depot, so if the IRS is monitoring this site and connecting your C-D alias with your real world name, there isn't a credit card charge to give evidence that your felonious inquiry has resulted in a felonious action.

As the saying goes, "I have constitutional right to speed on the freeway when the police aren't around."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House