Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 07:22 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times

Advertisements

I had a company come to sweep my chimney and they said it needs to be repaired. The company that inspected the house when we bought it said the same thing. The chimney does have cinder block showing, and multiple cracks and missing face covering. They said they can repair by reinforcing with wire mesh and stucco. They quoted me 3200 for the work. Does anyone know if that is a fair price? The house is in nj and things tend to run expensive here but I still don't want to get robbed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,411,513 times
Contact multiple companies and get quotes. That is the only way you will get a fair price. IMO it sounds high. I always estimate using time, materials and labor then add a little extra for profit. You should have some idea of how many people they will send to do the job, how long it will take and how much materials will cost.

If it is a job one guy can do in one day with 100 of materials, then Yes you are getting ripped off. Also Chimney companies are like doctors or lawyers. They have a professional association and licensing so there are limited numbers of them. Now is also the HOT season and in MD it is even hard to find someone to come and clean the chimney because of high demand. Hopefully the company you used is a licensed chimney sweep.

If you can put the job off until next year, you may be able to get a better deal. If the chimney is safe to use, then the cracks on the OUTSIDE are not a big deal IMHO. Find out if it is unsafe. If it is, then stop using it or get it fixed to make it safe. But it sounds like just the outside needs some more stucco. If that is all, then one or two guys can do that in 4-5 hours. 3K is too much for that type of job.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM

45 posts, read 93,756 times
KinkyToes is right, MJJersey. But I think I know the reason for the high price. Chimney guys would prefer to work in materials that they regularly carry: cement, and brick. Stucco work is a little out of their league; but it sounds like it needs to match the existing design. Technically they're charging you for the "trouble" of having to buy specialized materials, and doing a job that they don't do often.
Get another quote from a reputable stucco guy. A regular masonry worker may charge less. If you're not worried about leaks, and the chimney brick is accessible for cement repair/cap/whatever it needs, you could go with a liner to make it safer in the meantime, - that could run you $1000 - to $1500, depending - but that work could be done by a regular chimney guy.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They quoted me 3200 for the work. Does anyone know if that is a fair price? The house is in nj and things tend to run expensive here but I still don't want to get robbed. Thanks.
I've heard quotes for a new chimney in that range but that depends, height etc. Go talk to a mason.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:53 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
I would also be looking at cost to completely replace and upgrade. You don't mention enough about the chimney to make an informed statement. If it is a chimney for an oil or gas furnace that is liner/block/and some facing replacement should be easy and cheap. If it is an exterior chimney for a woodburning fireplace, costs can be steep.

Oddly, your best friend might be a zoning inspector. A good one would have seen the work of many contractors and have a general idea of how much they charged. Since anything you do is likely to need permits and inspection anyway, I see no harm in contacting one and asking advice.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Get a second opinion and see if their price is in the same ballpark for the same work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House