Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,651 times

Advertisements

than apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 05:21 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
It depends...some condos are converted apts. Some are better insulated/constructed. Most townhouses have a common wall and you can hear your neighbor.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 PM

878 posts, read 2,737,715 times
I find a townhome which I just moved into from an apartment to be completely quiet...I do have an end unit and I have never heard my neighbor...the apartment was the complete opposite.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Properly constructed multi-unit homes are built with individual and separate walls so noise transmission is minimal. Even many older condos were built that way but the majority of apartments are not even today.

I still would not own another condo because of shared ownership issues but had no noise problems in the past even with rowdy neighbors next door.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
We rented a townhome when we first moved to the Twin Cities and it was a great experience. It was hard to make the adjustment from our house to a townhome due to more neighbors closer together, but compared to apartment living it is SO much better! I believe it also depends on what community you live in too. Our community was okay on noise..better than apartments we'd had. If you're moving from an apartment...then I'd definitely go the townhome route. They're quite popular here. If we ever moved out of our house and downsized that would be the only way I'd go.

If you're buying, then consider looking at detached townhomes. You have a small bit of yard, but it's definitely townhome living.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
I'm renting a townhouse right now and I never hear my neighbors. I do hear street noise and cars with thumping rap music driving through the complex next door.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'm renting a townhouse right now and I never hear my neighbors. I do hear street noise and cars with thumping rap music driving through the complex next door.

Yeah and I'll second that. We hear it from our house. So stuff like that is everywhere...although definitely more of it in an apartment complex.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Yeah and I'll second that. We hear it from our house. So stuff like that is everywhere...although definitely more of it in an apartment complex.
Yup, you got that right.

I can't wait to move out of this place and get a proper house, though. I miss living in a house.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
It depends...some condos are converted apts. Some are better insulated/constructed. Most townhouses have a common wall and you can hear your neighbor.
That's hitting the nail on the head (pun intended)-
Construction techniques over the years have changed dramatically. It's about the almighty dollar (construction costs) and a profitable gain. Years ago when townhouses and apartments were built, they would use a cinder block wall for a firewall. That f/wall along with a stud wall and insulation made for a pretty good sound barrier.
But with construction costs today- most f/walls today are nothing more than a double layer of fiberglass board within a metal frame work thats about 1.5" thick. That not much of a sound barrier.
Another standard practice from years gone-by- was a Gyp-crete (sort of like concrete- poured over the wood sub-floor) poured floor. It provided sound and fire protection. Again, you won't see that anymore- $$$
Although there are other alternatives- most still carry a premium price tag. And that hurts the bottom line.
So, developers WOW you with granite counter tops, glazed cabinets, 9' ceilings, security systems, and garage door openers. Then we tend to forget about Edith and Archie, the neighbors from Hell- that raise cane at 2 in the morning.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That's hitting the nail on the head (pun intended)-
Construction techniques over the years have changed dramatically. It's about the almighty dollar (construction costs) and a profitable gain. Years ago when townhouses and apartments were built, they would use a cinder block wall for a firewall. That f/wall along with a stud wall and insulation made for a pretty good sound barrier.
But with construction costs today- most f/walls today are nothing more than a double layer of fiberglass board within a metal frame work thats about 1.5" thick. That not much of a sound barrier.
Another standard practice from years gone-by- was a Gyp-crete (sort of like concrete- poured over the wood sub-floor) poured floor. It provided sound and fire protection. Again, you won't see that anymore- $$$
Although there are other alternatives- most still carry a premium price tag. And that hurts the bottom line.
So, developers WOW you with granite counter tops, glazed cabinets, 9' ceilings, security systems, and garage door openers. Then we tend to forget about Edith and Archie, the neighbors from Hell- that raise cane at 2 in the morning.
Couldn't have put it better, though I have yet to see mass-market apartments with granite countertops. My townhouse has them tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House