Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times

Advertisements

Check with your local codes people. I had a pool built and it sits only 15 feet from my septic tank as was allowed by code at the time. 22 years later and no ill effects (knock on wood !!) However, my thoughts on the underground/concrete plumbing are this because I had the most unbelievable horrible thing occur. I don't know how my pool passed inspection because a few years ago I had an under concrete leak. We cut the concrete and dug it up and guess what? Not PVC hard plumbing but flexible spa pipe! I don't know how it lasted that long. So have the entire pool plumbed with the thickest (schedule 80?) PVC possible to prevent breakage and leaks that could possibly affect the septic system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Reserve field?
Yes, reserve "field". Any property that has a septic system has to have a designated area for a reserve field. This leach field doesn't exist- its just a designated area where one can be put in if something were to happen to the original one.

It is required on every plat that is submitted to the health and building dept. for installation approval.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes, reserve "field". Any property that has a septic system has to have a designated area for a reserve field. This leach field doesn't exist- its just a designated area where one can be put in if something were to happen to the original one.

It is required on every plat that is submitted to the health and building dept. for installation approval.
It must depend on the state.......we do not do that in Michigan.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Wow, really? I thought that was fairly standard practice.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Default A reserve leach field is not required in New Hampshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcjguy View Post
I have a question on my septic system. I am debating on a pool for the kiddos but my septic is system is in the back yard. It is off to the right a little bit but wondering if it is a problem - I would think the worst case is that one of the leach field "fingers" could be moved. What do you all think about the "plan".
I'd be concerned about any "uphill" construction causing more surface water to be directed onto the leach field.

See also Septic Distances & Required Clearances: Distances Between Septic System Components & Swimming Pools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow, really? I thought that was fairly standard practice.
Must vary by state. No requirement for that here in New Hampshire, many lots wouldn't be buildable if they needed 2x the usual leach field space.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:57 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
It must depend on the state.......we do not do that in Michigan.
It must depend on the locale...some areas in Michigan require that there be space for a replacement drain field.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It must depend on the locale...some areas in Michigan require that there be space for a replacement drain field.
No place I have ever drilled.

But, saving a space is still different than having a reserved field.

Last edited by Driller1; 09-09-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
That's what a reserve field is- a set aside that cannot be disturbed.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's what a reserve field is- a set aside that cannot be disturbed.
That sure can not happen on these little lots by rivers and lakes here in Michigan.

Where we drilled today it is so small the power company had to cut the power to everyone on that line while we went under it with the rig.......they held the wires.

Then they had to take the power down from the house while we drilled.

And I still was just 37 foot from the septic next door.....we had to get the OK from the health department.

Now......we are waiting to get back out.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:40 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
We are on septic and also have a backup. I just installed a patio and went with pavers for the very reason that should the backup ever be needed, the patio would be easy to remove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House