Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,862,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't know if this is something anyone is likely to know, but I'll give it a shot.

I have a garage door opener for which the light has stopped working. I optimistically thought it just needed a new bulb, but no. After shelling out for a repair guy, I was told that it's a problem with the logic board. After some research, I was told that those are not longer being made, as of about 2005.

Here's the question: If this is just a problem with something tiny on a computer board, is there any chance that it could be something that a computer expert could fix easily? If so, where would one ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Moderators, please note: THIS WAS SPECIFICALLY A PHOENIX QUESTION. I was hoping that local residents might be able to suggest someone.

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I tried Edison bulbs, but, sadly, no dice. Yes, I've called three repair places, but they don't have an old board to replace it with. Or do you mean a whole opener, used? No one has offered that; do you know any places to ask?

Can't afford a whole new thingie. I bought a light-sensor night-light for a few bucks and plugged it in, but it's not a great solution.

I'm in Phoenix (35 yrs now) and I don't know of anyone who would repair the circuit board on the unit. Logically if the unit isn’t made after 2005 it’s time to “replace” instead of trying to repair it. The cost factor for replacement is going to be less than the repair most likely and why fix something that will break down again because of old age and wear and tear.

On a side note: You might find someone on Crags List that has the “like” unit that they replaced and will give you for parts…. Assuming the circuit board on their unit is still good and it was replaced for some other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 08:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,193,687 times
If it's like my garage door opener, the lights are switched through a relay. Which is the most likely cause of the problem, and you can probably find a replacement that'll work. But if you can't DIY it's not going to be worth doing.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:41 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,063,487 times
Wouldn't it be cheaper to park outside the garage?

Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,066,468 times
Replace the whole unit for $150
And from experience. The remote opener battery has a life span of 7 years, costs $4 I learned this twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House