Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 AM

36 posts, read 46,743 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a house in SoCal, escrow is about to close. Wanted to do a lil remodel before moving in. There is a wall in the kitchen that I want to remove and open it for more space. Was wondering if that wall looks like a load bearing or non-load bearing wall? Anyone could tell by the look of it? We're trying to DIY... Thanks in advance.

Last edited by r1cky68; 09-12-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cky68 View Post
Was wondering if that wall looks like a load bearing or non-load bearing wall?
Load bearing.

You can still probably get MOST of you want though.
A built up column at the corner and a beam/header across will (should) do it.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Load bearing.

You can still probably get MOST of you want though.
A built up column at the corner and a beam/header across will (should) do it.
Great, thanks for the reply... There's also that built in TV mount I want to get rid of, it's built in and comes into the kitchen. I was also thinking about removing the lower kitchen cabinet that's connected to the wall that will be removed. Or should I keep it and do like a island / counter?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM

17,447 posts, read 65,798,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Load bearing.

Come on! Seriously?
There's NO WAY IN HELL you can tell from a PICTURE!!!
It's easy to "assume" load-bearing than not- at least you covered your ass.

OP- is there living space above or attic? If living space- you need to find out which way the floor joists are running. If attic, go up there and look!- which way are the ceiling joists running? Is there any bracing for the roof sitting on that wall?

That TV thing is a wart! Looks like some after-thought- definitely screwed up the kitchen side.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Come on! Seriously?
There's NO WAY IN HELL you can tell from a PICTURE!!!
Sure I can... you can too.

OP want me to add a paragraph of legaleze about needing to see in person
and engineers and all that? or just assume that the roof over that living room
needs to be supported and the wall in the middle of the space is doing it (as I have).
Attached Thumbnails
Wall removal-livingrmandwall.jpg  

Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM

4,504 posts, read 5,026,115 times
If that's a load bearing wall it's an odd one, most load bearing walls run from one wall to another. Not always, but in most cases. K'LedgeBldr gave you good, logical advise. You could also open a little drywall at the top of those walls and see if there's a beam, if not I'll bet it's not load bearing.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM

thanks for all of the input fellas. it's a single story so attic on above the wall, will go up to the attic and check it out once i get the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House