Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LMAO~ Still sounds like a prison court yard to me, I prefer solitary confinement ~~~It's pretty clear I raised kids once....
oh yes yes yes yes yes..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I watch but am yelling at the tv most of the time. What's wrong with some people? Got to climb in the tub to see if it fits? Really? How about the ditz that says " I just can't live with that light fixture" or red wall? I like property virgins because the host makes these idiots keep it real. She points out things to these home buyers that lots of home buyers should pay attention to. Good show...

Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I watch but am yelling at the tv most of the time. What's wrong with some people? Got to climb in the tub to see if it fits? Really? How about the ditz that says " I just can't live with that light fixture" or red wall? I like property virgins because the host makes these idiots keep it real. She points out things to these home buyers that lots of home buyers should pay attention to. Good show...
I agree. I used to like House Hunters but it's getting more and more unrealistic IMO. Nobody ever looks at real issues like roof, heating/cooling systems, plumbing, windows, etc. Once in a great while they'll notice that a deck might need staining.

Then there's the idiots who want to live in the downtown area but complain because the place is on a busy street or there's no parking or they don't have "outdoor space". Well, what did you expect if you want to live in a multi-unit building near the center of town?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:21 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I agree. I used to like House Hunters but it's getting more and more unrealistic IMO. Nobody ever looks at real issues like roof, heating/cooling systems, plumbing, windows, etc. Once in a great while they'll notice that a deck might need staining.

Then there's the idiots who want to live in the downtown area but complain because the place is on a busy street or there's no parking or they don't have "outdoor space". Well, what did you expect if you want to live in a multi-unit building near the center of town?
I know, right? How come they ALWAYS get an ugly surprise regarding the roof/electrical/plumbing/mold? What the heck are inspections for?

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think this is because these people wouldn't know anything about the roof, HVAC, plumbing, etc. Unless these people are paying cash for the home, the bank is going to require an inspection and the inspector will look at all these things. All of this would have happened WAY after their initial walkthrough. I'll complain about some of these people just as much as the next guy, but I'm willing to bet VERY few buyers will look at the HVAC and plumbing and truly know what they are actually looking at. You might look for water stains on the ceiling or floor, but that's about it.

The initial walkthrough is where you will pick out the things about the house you don't like such as the paint and fixtures. Of course, the difference between most people and some of the people on these shows is that they don't realize how easy paint and fixtures are to correct.

I watched one episode of Property Virgins and the lady passed on a house because the walls were dirty and she didn't like the idea that someone has already taken a bath in the bath tub. (yes, that was seriously one of the issues she had about the place). She ended up buying new construction.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Most of the people on this show have champagne taste on a water budget. They also don't seem to care about major things like foundation/plumbing/electrical as much as cosmetic things like light fixtures, ceiling fans, paint, etc.

There are also the ones who want to live in the heart of downtown where there is a near-constant stream of noise from cars/people/bars/cafes/etc but complain of noise when the realtor shows them a suburban house that one car goes by every 20 minutes.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
They don't care because they are not actually deciding between the 3 houses they show. They have already purchased a home (presumably having done an inspection) and the other 2 houses are just for the show. In some cases, some of the alternatives are not even on the market.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
What's with the "soaker" tub craze??? (never heard that term before HGTV) Are all these people really lying around soaking in tubs all of the time? It especially kills me in International House Hunters when they're looking for a place in the Caribbean or Central America or Mexico or somewhere. Really? You want to sit around in a steaming hot tub in the middle of the tropics? Okay then.

Agree with the poster commented on the horror expressed over children having to share rooms. Oh, the humanity!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
oh yes yes yes yes yes..........

:d

Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 AM

1,185 posts, read 804,539 times
Anyone else notice how the women are generally bossy and picky an the guy just sits back and takes it? If this was reversed you bet the guy would be called a d-bag lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House