Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:32 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

I love how all the young HH's love the crown moulding, and always state: I love the crown moulding.

No one ever had it before HGTV (maybe just the high end homes), its a wonder they even know what it is.

I actually hate it, and it would be the first thing Id rip off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:44 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm going to sign up for one of these house hunters shows and my demands for a new house will be:

-Laminate countertops
-Carpet throughout
-Closed floorplan (doors in between all rooms if possible)
-NO crown molding
-Black or white appliances
-No backsplash unless it's just laminate
-No kitchen island
-No bathtubs, showers only please

Wonder how fast they'll arrange to have me on the show??
At least your episode would be interesting! And a nice change from the more typical "house with the most granite wins!" episodes we usually see.

I'd also like to see episodes featuring houses with lower price points, not just McMansions.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I love how all the young HH's love the crown moulding, and always state: I love the crown moulding.

No one ever had it before HGTV (maybe just the high end homes), its a wonder they even know what it is.

My low-middle status 1932 home has it in the formal living room and I love it. I'd love to add it back to the dining room and bedrooms, too. And I have a handyman magazine from the '70s that has the how to on installing it, so it's not necessarily a post-HGTV thing.

Wonder why so many anti-HGTV people think HGTV introduced every trend, including ones from decades before it (the network) existed?

Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairmetal4ever View Post
What gets me are these 22 year old couples with 800k budgets.

What are they, cocaine dealers?
Trust fund babies.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:11 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:

Actually, my 1920'a home has crown molding (US spelling), and after about 1850, many homes with high ceilings had rather intricate versions of the same. So it is not new at all. Just a visually pleasant, traditional way to transition from wall to ceiling.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:02 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
My low-middle status 1932 home has it in the formal living room and I love it. I'd love to add it back to the dining room and bedrooms, too. And I have a handyman magazine from the '70s that has the how to on installing it, so it's not necessarily a post-HGTV thing.

Wonder why so many anti-HGTV people think HGTV introduced every trend, including ones from decades before it (the network) existed?
I'm surprised some people on here don't think HGTV invented the 2 story house.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
LOVE crown molding! And I have ever since I was a kid (a long time ago, so it IS nothing new).
I would have it in every room if I could.

Added it into three rooms so far!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:

Um, might wanna go and look at some homes older than 30 years. Leaving it off was a very 70s and 80s thing to do.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:55 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
What makes me crazy is a couple walking through a house and not liking the wallpaper or paint color - things that most people would change anyway, things that shouldn't determine whether they purchase the house or not. If they want a house exactly their way, they need to buy a new, custom house.
The show is fake. To be on you have to at least be under contract on a house. So, even if they love the house they're being shown and wish they could buy it they're going to find things to pick on.

And I must say, after dealing with wallpaper it's not something I'll ever enter into lightly again. That house would have to be utterly perfect. I'd prefer to redo a kitchen than two rooms of wallpaper.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:11 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
House Hunters makes me laugh. "Oh, I hate those brass doorknobs." Yeah, too bad you'll be stuck with them for the rest of your life if you buy this house, since they're unchangeable!

And all of these couples where one is heavily invested in having a bungalow style and the other is heavily invested in having a colonial. So bizarre. When we looked at homes up north, we just knew we didn't want a split-level; we looked at ranches, capes, colonials, whatever was in our price range and had three bedrooms. I cannot imagine BOTH partners being dead-set against every style of house except for the one they have in mind. (We live in Florida now and almost everything in our price range is a ranch anyway, so there was no real need to discuss it.)

Also, the need for "entertaining." Why are people not entertaining in their kitchens/living rooms? If I have friends over, we don't go out to the Entertainment Patio or anything; we eat in the (large eat-in) kitchen and hang out in the living room, while the kids go play video games or whatever in the den. We bought the house for our family, not for the hordes of friends we expected to entertain on a daily or weekly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House