Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,803,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Um, might wanna go and look at some homes older than 30 years. Leaving it off was a very 70s and 80s thing to do.
+1
And just like with cars, this was not a particularly good period of home design.
If anything it was a cost savings design decision based on the poor economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Um, might wanna go and look at some homes older than 30 years. Leaving it off was a very 70s and 80s thing to do.

I understand that, it just wasnt until HGTV that it was ever really mentiond. I grew up in a brand new 1960 tracthouse, no one had it.....and your right, they really didnt add too much wood trims back in those days, i think wood was becoming more expensive back then if memory serves me correct.

it just wsnt something that people really seemed to really notice or ask for, that is until HGTV.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I understand that, it just wasnt until HGTV that it was ever really mentiond. I grew up in a brand new 1960 tracthouse, no one had it.....and your right, they really didnt add too much wood trims back in those days, i think wood was becoming more expensive back then if memory serves me correct.

it just wsnt something that people really seemed to really notice or ask for, that is until HGTV.
Did you commonly walk around houses with strangers noticing and discussing design details before HGTV? I can tell you the lack in some American houses was something I noticed and commented on as soon as I arrived in the US.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:19 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I get angry watching HGTV because I'm a 36 year old man with a decent to good income and every single young couple just starting out that has already popped out 3 kids can afford more house than me.

In addition I'm sick of the same crap everyone wants. I'm going to sign up for one of these house hunters shows and my demands for a new house will be:

-Laminate countertops
-Carpet throughout
-Closed floorplan (doors in between all rooms if possible)
-NO crown molding
-Black or white appliances
-No backsplash unless it's just laminate
-No kitchen island
-No bathtubs, showers only please

Wonder how fast they'll arrange to have me on the show??
Don't forget:
-popcorn ceilings
-wood panelled walls
-single sink vanities in the bathrooms
-mini-closets

Old 11-30-2015, 11:49 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Actually, my 1920'a home has crown molding (US spelling), and after about 1850, many homes with high ceilings had rather intricate versions of the same. So it is not new at all. Just a visually pleasant, traditional way to transition from wall to ceiling.
We have picture molding -- which is cool. There's about a half inch from the molding to the ceiling to hold bracket hooks that hang pictures, so you don't wreck the plaster nailing into it. I had to mail order brackets for it, but it's neat to hang pictures from it.

Really great to hang quilts from to take pics.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't forget:
-popcorn ceilings
-wood panelled walls
-single sink vanities in the bathrooms
-mini-closets
Thanks! I knew I was missing something.

I have one more to add: Wet bar

It sounds like I'd do well in the Brady Bunch house...

Old 11-30-2015, 01:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I get angry watching HGTV because I'm a 36 year old man with a decent to good income and every single young couple just starting out that has already popped out 3 kids can afford more house than me.

In addition I'm sick of the same crap everyone wants. I'm going to sign up for one of these house hunters shows and my demands for a new house will be:

-Laminate countertops
-Carpet throughout
-Closed floorplan (doors in between all rooms if possible)
-NO crown molding
-Black or white appliances
-No backsplash unless it's just laminate
-No kitchen island
-No bathtubs, showers only please

Wonder how fast they'll arrange to have me on the show??
My house has many of those things, but it's appropriate for the time and place it was built. I live in an open floor plan '70s tract house. Leaky floor-to-ceiling windows in a vaulted living room. And, yes, it has popcorn ceilings, and the wood, interior garage door is fire-proofed with an asbestos panel. The woodwork is mostly plain, although as a nod to Colorado rustic, it has dark, rough-finished beams. Absolutely no crown molding. Laminate countertops in the bathrooms, although there is a tumbled limestone backsplash. No wood floors; beige carpeting throughout. Plastic vertical blinds on the family room slider. Shower; no soaking tub for two. Painted original cabinets, which are nothing special. White appliances. No kitchen island. Very cramped if more than one person is trying to cook. No walk-in pantry or anything else of note. Just a basic kitchen. Small bedrooms, and a garage that takes up half the facade. It is definitely not HGTV House Hunters material; nonetheless, I love it. Comps put it at about $450k, which I think is insane, but that's the Denver market right now, and I'm not complaining.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:23 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My house has many of those things, but it's appropriate for the time and place it was built. I live in an open floor plan '70s tract house. Leaky floor-to-ceiling windows in a vaulted living room. And, yes, it has popcorn ceilings, and the wood, interior garage door is fire-proofed with an asbestos panel. The woodwork is mostly plain, although as a nod to Colorado rustic, it has dark, rough-finished beams. Absolutely no crown molding. Laminate countertops in the bathrooms, although there is a tumbled limestone backsplash. No wood floors; beige carpeting throughout. Plastic vertical blinds on the family room slider. Shower; no soaking tub for two. Painted original cabinets, which are nothing special. White appliances. No kitchen island. Very cramped if more than one person is trying to cook. No walk-in pantry or anything else of note. Just a basic kitchen. Small bedrooms, and a garage that takes up half the facade. It is definitely not HGTV House Hunters material; nonetheless, I love it. Comps put it at about $450k, which I think is insane, but that's the Denver market rightcomment now, and I'm not complaining.
I think the "list" we put together, was meant as a tongue in cheek comment, as these are items frequently found in houses built in the 60's to 80's and made fun of by the folks playing the home buyers on HGTV. You see it over and over again on those shows, where the buyers affect all manner of disgust, shock, ridicule and other entirely inappropriate reactions at seeing these items in houses they are being shown. As in "UGGGGGGHHHH, paneling, can't STAYUND IT"! Or, popcorn ceilings, (laminate counter tops, laminate tiles on floors, 60's style bathrooms, you name it) "OHHHHHH, it's so UGLY I can't look at it", even when what they are seeing is in fine shape and clean, it's just dated.

But lots and lots of homeowners live in homes that were built in the 60's to 80's, live with the items and decor that was popular at those times, and probably aren't overly traumatized by having to do so. In fact, they might even like them. I bet if you took a poll of CD posters on this thread, you'd find any number of them fit in this category.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:28 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Don't forget ceiling fans.... People almost always say they have to go on HH...

Old 11-30-2015, 05:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Don't forget ceiling fans.... People almost always say they have to go on HH...

Yeah, until the summer heat arrives, and they discover the reason they were installed in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House