Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I wonder how long before HGTV changes the script to "Quartz counters"? It's already started on a couple of shows.....Property Brothers and Buying & Selling......they are using a lot of quartz vs. granite. Same on Flip or Flop...they are about half & half on using granite & quartz in their flips.

When the buyers on HH start asking for quartz, you'll know that granite is on the downward trend! That is, if you care about the trends.
I'm wondering when they'll start being original and not make each house look the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,771 times
You'll be drunk 5 minutes into the show:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo...g-game#1xdq2jv

Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I don't spend any time during the day in the master bedroom...like not even 10 minutes. The fact that they always want these massive masters is ridiculous...
I discussed this in another thread, but I love my 600 square foot master suite. the bedroom portion of it, once you come down the included hallway, is 20x16 and I do spend a bit of time in there, and my wife and I no longer run into each other when trying to get dressed in the morning.

Computer renders of it before we built it (hard to get good photos from inside)

The bathroom has a 4x8 shower area that you walk thorugh to the 4x8 tub area:

I also have dual sinks with a lot of counter space, where my wife and I can both get ready for work in the morning side by side and not be in each other's way.

When we were building the new garage addition, we simply put on a second floor that is the master suite. The old master bedroom was 10x12 with a very small en-suite that was tight even for one person:
Attached Thumbnails
have you ever noticed on HGTV House Hunters....-imag0855.jpg  

Old 09-16-2014, 04:36 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Merc63, love it!!!

I watch House Hunters with a sense of perverse pleasure. My husband and I enjoy predicting which couples will be divorced or in foreclosure in five years. I know, we're sick puppies...

HH's seems to have a central casting theme: wife is a spoiled, entitled princess; hubby is a Beta male pushover. They do vary on occasion, but the bulk of couples follow that pattern.

As far as annoyances, here's mine:
1. Obsession with stainless steel/granite/garden tubs/double vanities/walk-in closets
2. Complaining about carpet when they wanted hardwood (pull the carpet up moron!)
3. Complaining about children having to share bedrooms (Oh the humanity! There's nothing worse than first world problems!)
4. Man caves (enough said)
5. Couples who lived with parents to save money for home purchase and complain about it (yeah, I'm sure your parents were real thrilled to support grown adults as well)
6. Touring a 3,000 sq ft house and saying "well it's kinda small...."
7. Wife enters large closet and says "this is where MY clothes will go, I don't know where you're going to put your stuff..."

I could go on and on....

Old 09-16-2014, 05:42 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
that some of the absolute pickiest buyers are the ones with the smallest budget???

They MUST have:
granite counters
SS appliances
hardwood floors
master retreat to rival a 5 star hotel
awesome curb appeal
large backyard with privacy
great school district

and their budget is like, $120k, for a suburb of DC. Yeah, good luck with that!

This show is so goofy and scripted. I still watch because I enjoy seeing house decor/style/prices in other parts of the country. But I really like the Property Virgins show with the host named Egypt. It's a little more realistic and gets into the details of making the offer, etc. And sometimes the buyers totally back out and decide to put their house hunt on hold. Much more realistic, IMO.
Watched a show the other day in which a single mom with kids passed up two homes with a 15 minute commute, backyards, and enough bedrooms for each of her kids and bought a townhouse with no backyard, not enough bedrooms for all the kids and a 40 - 60 minute commute. All because she liked the master bedroom/retreat, master bathroom.

Even her friend who was looking with her was encouraging her to go with the more sensible commute.

Can you imagine, signing up for an additional hour and a half of commuting every day in exchange for a master bathroom?

She also wanted SS appliances, etc.

Did not seem worried about the school district.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Open concept with room to entertain.

That's a biggie.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:43 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I heard it was already pre determined which house they choose but I still watch from time to time when there's nothing else on. I like seeing the different locations (especially on International) and houses. People on here though have pointed out all the cliches on that show and it's pretty true!

Old 09-16-2014, 05:54 PM

142 posts, read 242,376 times
They want hardwood floors because that laminate stuff is poison! It should be outlawed.

Quote:
Ecological Concerns: Laminates are man made materials that are manufactured using plastic derived from formaldehyde. The process of making this material causes the emission of carbon dioxide, while the raw materials used are non renewable resources.
In addition to this there is some concern that the formaldehyde used in making laminate floors can lead to the material releasing Volatile Organic Chemicals. Those are harmful elements that can negatively affect the air quality of an interior space.

The Dangers of Laminate Flooring in Kitchens

Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Quote:
that some of the absolute pickiest buyers are the ones with the smallest budget???

They MUST have:
granite counters
SS appliances
hardwood floors
master retreat to rival a 5 star hotel
awesome curb appeal
large backyard with privacy
great school district

and their budget is like, $120k, for a suburb of DC. Yeah, good luck with that!

This show is so goofy and scripted. I still watch because I enjoy seeing house decor/style/prices in other parts of the country. But I really like the Property Virgins show with the host named Egypt. It's a little more realistic and gets into the details of making the offer, etc. And sometimes the buyers totally back out and decide to put their house hunt on hold. Much more realistic, IMO.
We need an HGTV drinking game. Take a shot when certain phrases are said

Old 09-16-2014, 05:55 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Merc63, love it!!!

I watch House Hunters with a sense of perverse pleasure. My husband and I enjoy predicting which couples will be divorced or in foreclosure in five years. I know, we're sick puppies...

HH's seems to have a central casting theme: wife is a spoiled, entitled princess; hubby is a Beta male pushover. They do vary on occasion, but the bulk of couples follow that pattern.

As far as annoyances, here's mine:
1. Obsession with stainless steel/granite/garden tubs/double vanities/walk-in closets
2. Complaining about carpet when they wanted hardwood (pull the carpet up moron!)
3. Complaining about children having to share bedrooms (Oh the humanity! There's nothing worse than first world problems!)
4. Man caves (enough said)
5. Couples who lived with parents to save money for home purchase and complain about it (yeah, I'm sure your parents were real thrilled to support grown adults as well)
6. Touring a 3,000 sq ft house and saying "well it's kinda small...."
7. Wife enters large closet and says "this is where MY clothes will go, I don't know where you're going to put your stuff..."

I could go on and on....
Love all those annoyances! My favorite is: "What, no refrigerator? That's a deal breaker." (So, you can afford a 500k home but you can't come up with $1500 for a refrigerator?)

Also, has anyone else noticed that 98% of the time the people/couples are either young and newly married or middle aged? Doesn't anyone over 70 ever buy a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House