Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:11 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times

Advertisements

Have him go for a ride in the car and he can smoke in there and keep it out of the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Have him go for a ride in the car and he can smoke in there and keep it out of the house
HEE HEE - Tressa, he already does that and we fight over his stinking up the car!!!! I put a bottle of Febreeze in there . . . soda in the ash tray . . . and refuse to get in if it has an odor. Also use those glade air fresheners.

Well, we have somewhat resolved the issue. He goes out on the deck or smokes in the hot tub these days!!!! And I used many of the suggestions people have mentioned on this thread . . . and have had my dear friend, who is asthmatic, come in the house and see if she detects an odor (she does not) - then asked my parents - father has bronchial problems and smoke odor sets him off (he says no odor) - so I think I have it under control now.

I do not want anyone walking in my home and smell that odor, period. It just turns people off. But I love dear hubby and this is one of his small pleasures in life (and not like he does it all the time).

Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM

I can understand that my husband drinks a bit to much for my liking but I love him tp death, come October we've been married 35 years. I'm going to go back and read each and every post to find remedies to assist with getting rid or odors.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 PM

I have a question on the same line I don't want to take control of your post of course but I have a cat that doesn't spray but if he gets mad at us he will pee on something.

If he belonged to anybody elsee he wouldn't be allowed in my house but he's been with us for 9 years. He gets checked out but the vet annually and doesn't have a urinary track infection he just got attitude. Idea's how to get rid of the oder and to keep him doing that other than getting rid of him

Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 AM

40 posts, read 480,252 times
i bring a small pot of white vinegar to a "near" boil and then turn heat down to simmer. This rids odors in the vicinity of the simmering vinegar. I read this tip somewhere but I don't remember where - i've been doing it for several years now. Great after frying fish.

By the way, I enjoy the smell of good cigars.

CaTe

Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
I have a question on the same line I don't want to take control of your post of course but I have a cat that doesn't spray but if he gets mad at us he will pee on something.

If he belonged to anybody elsee he wouldn't be allowed in my house but he's been with us for 9 years. He gets checked out but the vet annually and doesn't have a urinary track infection he just got attitude. Idea's how to get rid of the oder and to keep him doing that other than getting rid of him
Tressa, you are not hijacking the thread at all! If it stinks, this is the place to post it, Hee Hee! I had a male cat who peed, also. I tried all those special concoctions they sale at pet stores - w/ stuff that breaks down protein, and I honestly never thought any of them really did that well.

I was happiest using Spray N Wash . . . but also used vinegar (white) and water and kept rinsing and blotting up. I really wish I had a good suggestion.

Maybe someone else will help us w/ cat urine????

Oh - my sister had a male cat who would urinate around the edge of the room, and he was about 12 when he started that . . . so you know he was part of the family - what does one do? So her husband took strips of aluminum foil and ran them all around the edges of the carpet, behind furniture, everywhere . . . b/c the cat hated the sound and feel of aluminum foil on his feet. That at least cut it out w/ his peeing up against the wall, Hee Hee.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:14 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
The trick with using the enzyme odor removers is to keep the whole area wet with it for at least 24 hours. If you just pour it on and let it dry, it won't have enough time to work. That means you have to cover it with plastic taped down so the treated area stays wet. Not all that easy to do.

Also, some work better than others.

I have to put spikes and barriers in my big potted plants or one of the cats uses them as litter boxes. Yuck!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Man I am so glad there is more folks that understand my issue here. We have grandkids and my poor cat has such a challenge with little ones that he takes off and goes down stairs to hide, he knows when they leave and he will come back up but every now and he gets really angry that they are taking our time away from him and he will let us know with peeing somewhere. I hunt down the odor try to clean it up doesn't always work.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:37 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
Here's a silly question.....what is DH? I have seen it posted in tons of posts, and know it stands for husband or significant other, but what does the DH stand for? Dumb husband? Dingy husband? Darling husband? LOL Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House