Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 6,603 times

Advertisements

I need suggestions regarding floor plan choices that we are making in our new house that is to be built.
Ok here are the questions -
(i) 3 Car garage which is standard in that neighborhood. So my worry is what in future while selling the house the 2 car garage will become a factor for not wanting the house.
OR
(ii) Convert the 3 car garage into a 2 car garage such that one garage space is converted into a oversized utility room,more kitchen pantry space and make area for a small mudroom too. This also makes sure that home office is more bigger with a larger closet and full bath downstairs. Also this house doesnt have a breakfast nook which is something that is unconventional. Instead the breakfast nook is a part of the great room which is huge. Do you guys think this would be a problem later when we want to sell our house down the road.

Something tells me that option number 2 is more functional on a day to day basis but still not able to make up our mind on it.

Can you guys help me prioritize which is more essential and something to go for-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
You answered your own question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysid8910 View Post
3 Car garage which is standard in that neighborhood.
If people have "3-car garage" on there wish list and the neighborhood is exclusively "3-car garages", guess what? Your potential buyer just went to ZERO.

That means you better have some other "WOW FACTOR" that's going to get them in the door- a mud room ain't it!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

If people have "3-car garage" on there wish list and the neighborhood is exclusively "3-car garages", guess what? Your potential buyer just went to ZERO.

That means you better have some other "WOW FACTOR" that's going to get them in the door- a mud room ain't it!
Thanks for your feedback! So this neighborhood has 8 different builders and I think not all of them offer 3 car garages. I think our builder offers 3 car garages for most of their floorplan. So this 3car to 2 car garage change that I mentioned is a structural option change provided by the builder which makes me to think that it shouldnt be that bad to go with it.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If you like the floor plan the builder is offering then build it the way you want, not the way someone else may want someday down the road in the future maybe...

Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
How long do you anticipate living in the house? The longer you plan to be there the more important that YOU are happy with the floor plan. Also how do most people use the 3 garage bays? To actually park cars in or as storage?

Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

It might be... If I could change anything about my house it would be the addition of a mud room.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Thank for your feedback guys! I think we have decides to go with the 2car garage and more space inside the house option...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
During our home search my husband insisted on a 3 car garage. My wish list consisted of a mud room and side entrance. I lost out on my mud room and side entrance. In the 8years we've been in this home not a day goes by that I don't curse not having the mud room and side entrance into it. That third garage stall sits piled up with stuff. It's a junk collection void.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
A 3 car garage is on our must have list. We won't consider a home without one. We need 2 bays for cars and a 3rd for everything else. Lawn stuff, bikes, kayaks, motorcycle. More inside space wouldn't help us.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:16 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
During our home search my husband insisted on a 3 car garage. My wish list consisted of a mud room and side entrance. I lost out on my mud room and side entrance. In the 8years we've been in this home not a day goes by that I don't curse not having the mud room and side entrance into it. That third garage stall sits piled up with stuff. It's a junk collection void.
Yes but if you did not have that room for a third car, you would only have room for one car because the other spot would be filled with that junk. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House