Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Wow. We made an offer on this house in April, before all the leaves were at their fullest on the gazillion trees in the yard. We loved the house but knew we'd have to take down some trees...we just didn't know HOW MANY TREES and how many others would have to be trimmed significantly.

So far, we've taken down at least ten trees and trimmed nearly all the others. Keep in mind that this is on a lot that's a little under an acre - and we still have about 15-20 trees on the lot, in varying sizes!

Yesterday was the big push - and it was CRAZY around here. One of the guys actually did fall off a ladder, with his chainsaw running, at one point - as he fell, he threw the chainsaw in the opposite direction (both survived with no injuries!).

Here are some "before" and "during" photos. Obviously, we're not done with the back yard - we had to cut some trees down before we could even lay sod or expect grass to grow. I'll update as we finish up.

The front yard is officially DONE, however - WOOHOOO!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

More later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I feel your pain. I've lived in my house for a year, and I've had 3 large trees and stumps removed. I still have several large trees, including an enormous Bradford Pear aka ticking time bomb. Those trees are notorious for breaking when they grow large. I need to have it trimmed up quite a bit before it breaks and takes out my brand new fence right next to it.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
We have taken 18 trees out of front yard alone, and our 1/3 acre lot still heavily shaded.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I feel your pain. I've lived in my house for a year, and I've had 3 large trees and stumps removed. I still have several large trees, including an enormous Bradford Pear aka ticking time bomb. Those trees are notorious for breaking when they grow large. I need to have it trimmed up quite a bit before it breaks and takes out my brand new fence right next to it.
Three of these behemoths were towering over my back porch! They had to come down - either by me or in a storm. I prefer "by me."

Old 09-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
We have taken 18 trees out of front yard alone, and our 1/3 acre lot still heavily shaded.
Oh my! TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:34 PM

106,660 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I think you have what it takes to be branch manager.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I think you have what it takes to be branch manager.
Haha, I fell for that line once - NEVER AGAIN.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Yesterday was the big push - and it was CRAZY around here. One of the guys actually did fall off a ladder, with his chainsaw running, at one point - as he fell, he threw the chainsaw in the opposite direction (both survived with no injuries!).
Ladders and chainsaws should never be mixed, even for trimming unless you can actually hold the weight of the branch with your hand then you really shouldn't be on the ladder. In that case you should be using a sawzall, pruning saw etc. My Brother used to be a professional tree climber and the only time he would ever use a ladder was to get a head start in tree he didn't want to spike for aesthetic reasons and that was purely for safety reasons.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ladders and chainsaws should never be mixed, even for trimming unless you can actually hold the weight of the branch with your hand then you really shouldn't be on the ladder. In that case you should be using a sawzall, pruning saw etc. My Brother used to be a professional tree climber and the only time he would ever use a ladder was to get a head start in tree he didn't want to spike for aesthetic reasons and that was purely for safety reasons.
Well, they're done now and I'm glad.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
On our previous property in Rhose Island (2-1/2 acres) we had trees all over the place when we moved there. They were small at the time. All of a sudden about 6-7 years ago, they all seemed to grow very large, very quickly...or maybe it was my imagination? One of them came down across our driveway in a storm. Clearly, something had to be done. The cost of tree removal and trimming was absurd, even back then.

I did the only sensible thing -- I installed a wood stove! I grabbed a chain saw, reassigned one of my young employees (he loved it!) and had at it. We removed 23 trees from the driveway area and surrounding the house and yard. We left the rest. I got about 3 years worth of cordwood out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House