Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

I am giving serious consideration to buying a home that is in disrepair. The house has great bones, yada, yada, yada... But it is not so much a corner lot as a peninsula- road on three sides. One neighborhood side road, one neighborhood entry road and one semi-busy road behind. The side road is one of 4 in the neighborhood that enters onto the busier road behind & one of the two less used ones. My main concern is how successfully I could mask the sound of the road behind and at the side where it is open to the road behind. If this can be done on a budget the lot would be a big plus since it means I literally only touch one other lot.

Has anyone had much luck in this regard without resort to a full masonry fence. I have come up with this product in a search but am wondering about the durability:

Acoustifence | Noise reducing fence

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Have you checked to make sure this kind of fence would be allowed in that neighborhood?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:16 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
When you look at the instruction options they explain that you install can install it over a wood fence, trim it out with battens on the exposed material face and paint the entire fence/trim/fabric combination. I would probably face the solid wood portion towards the road so for neighborhood purposes it would be a painted wood fence.

I just question durability and how effective it is.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
When you look at the instruction options they explain that you install can install it over a wood fence, trim it out with battens on the exposed material face and paint the entire fence/trim/fabric combination. I would probably face the solid wood portion towards the road so for neighborhood purposes it would be a painted wood fence.

I just question durability and how effective it is.
That's a good question. However ...

Some neighborhoods have restrictions on types of fencing. Some in our town only allow 4-foot aluminum (wrought-iron look) fencing.

You need to check that FIRST before you buy the property with the intention of fencing it. Find out if there is an HOA or any kind of restrictive covenants or an architectural review board.

Of course, if the house is already in disrepair, there may not be.

Also, you can find several reviews of the product online.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
My thought is that such a property will have zero privacy and be subject to various traffic issues including people knocking on the door looking for directions. I know it is different strokes, but I wouldn't even consider such a property.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I would bet that a fence like that is not permitted in most neighborhoods. And sounds WILL come over the fence.

In mine, fences are only allowed in the backyard.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would bet that a fence like that is not permitted in most neighborhoods. And sounds WILL come over the fence.

In mine, fences are only allowed in the backyard.
That was my thinking. If the property has roads on 3 sides, it seems like it would already have a fence to minimize the negative.

There are several testimonials and a couple of news articles about the Acoustifence online if you Google "Acoustifence reviews."

Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
I did a lot of research on the subject and ended up going with a solid (no gap) wood fence. Bottom line, you want mass, height and absolutely no gaps between boards or the ground. Earth would be best, so if you can build a berm that is a good start.

With that said, you're going to end up with reflected sound that goes over the fence, and there's not a whole lot you can do about that unless you build up 20' or so, which isn't likely to meet code.

If I were in this position, I'd do a perimeter fence, then plan on doing another solid interior fence/divider close to any outdoor patio space. Another option I considered is to build tiered raised beds along the property line. That would provide the most blocking, but isn't a simple solution.

Here's the thread that shows what design I decided on. I too was looking at a concrete barrier to deal with a different kind of noise. This neighbor with the crazy son also has a bunch of old un-muffled V8 cars he likes to rev when is having a bad day, and the fence significantly cut down on the earth shaking rumble that used to rattle the windows in our living room.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...l-fence-2.html

Old 09-24-2014, 08:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Keep in mind that if you build a fence that is "sound resistant" you will also be building a fence which restricts air flow and available breezes as well, which can lead to a stifling yard on warm, sunny and/or humid days.

I hate to be a downer, but there's no way I'd buy residential property with roads on three sides of it.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Keep in mind that if you build a fence that is "sound resistant" you will also be building a fence which restricts air flow and available breezes as well, which can lead to a stifling yard on warm, sunny and/or humid days.
In my case that was a big benefit. The raised vegetable beds planted next to the fence really thrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House