Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 12:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
1. I have never seen a 10 amp breaker, or fuse for that matter.
2. I have seen bad breakers. Arc fault breakers had a known defect and failed all the time. GFCI breakers also fail quite often. I have also seen many regular breakers fail. Some have the internal spring break, some melt down (usually from an overload situation, or loose connections). I consider a breaker that quits working a failure, not matter what caused it to quit working.
My point was breakers themselves don't go bad by themselves when installed properly. There is an outside source causing them to go bad. Unqualified people will check the breaker operation and confirm it's bad then simply put a new breaker in and that is wrong. You need to find out what caused the breaker to fail and fix that and replace the breaker.

But obviously some dud breakers leave the factory just like any other product. Most of my work is residential service and rarely the breaker is bad it's usually the circuit itself. I have worked in hundreds of homes in my career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 05:08 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I second the above post.

You MAY have a bad microwave that is tripping the circuit. I would try switching this micro to a different branch-circuit and see if it throws the breaker.
I had this happen to me. Over-the-oven microwave kept tripping the breaker on a dedicated 20A circuit. Replaced the breaker and it kept doing it. Replaced the aging microwave with a combo microwave/convection oven and it's never tripped since.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Chances are you have a GFI breaker that is worn out that operates the kitchen circuits.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I never said they don't go bad but in residential it is not common. It's more common in commercial and industrial. How do you "see" worn out breakers? Do you cut them open?

Breakers themselves don't fail something causes them to fail like the panel itself or improper installation of the circuit breaker in the first place. Circuit breakers are designed to handle thousands of operating cycles.

p.s. unless we are talking about zinsco or fed pacific breakers that's a different story

Someone is being purposely obtuse when they ask me have I SEEN a bad breaker. Of course I am implying that I have come across quite a few thermal breaker that test bad.

The deforming contacts in a thermal breaker are calibrated very precisely. At or above a very specific amount of current, enough of a heating effect will occur effect...causing the contacts to deform and open. When contacts and the conduct-area that they are connect to get old and worn.....the amount of resistance changes and the amount of current required to heat/open said contact goes down. In Electronics this is known as IsquaredR-losses ((I * I) * R = Power)......electrical power is converted to heat energy and contacts open.

Increased electrical resistance is a common phenomenon in most electrical and electronic devices.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
My point was breakers themselves don't go bad by themselves when installed properly. There is an outside source causing them to go bad. Unqualified people will check the breaker operation and confirm it's bad then simply put a new breaker in and that is wrong. You need to find out what caused the breaker to fail and fix that and replace the breaker.

But obviously some dud breakers leave the factory just like any other product. Most of my work is residential service and rarely the breaker is bad it's usually the circuit itself. I have worked in hundreds of homes in my career.
Eddie, I have been a home inspector for over 25 years (close to 10,000 inspections), and I can tell you I have seen lots of failed breakers that were installed correctly, and just failed. My example of GFCI or arc fault breakers lead the pack. I have also seen many breakers that were installed correctly fail when the internal spring has broken.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,147,397 times
Breakers and other OCPDs can and do "wear out" and lose their rating.... here is a nice short publication about trouble shooting
http://content.amprobe.com/appnotes/...cuit_lores.pdf
Troubleshoot and do a load analysis before you decide to add a circuit or circuits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House