Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:14 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

One more time!
There's more to "design" than "aesthetics". You have to be able to maneuver furniture!

Take drawing "A"- remove that dumbass wing wall that you would be staring at as you come up the stairs- leave everything else alone- job accomplished!!!

Next issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
We once rented an older house in Delaware that was built requiring you to walk completely through one 2nd floor bedroom to get to another.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
We once rented an older house in Delaware that was built requiring you to walk completely through one 2nd floor bedroom to get to another.

For you and all the others who posted similar responses-

Nobody has said it "hasn't" been done. And there are still a lot of homes to exhibit this particular layout. A lot of them where done either prior to more stringent code inforcement or by ignorant H/O's that neither knew or even cared about any code requirement (if they existed).

They needed to bedrooms, made two bedrooms, but one was only accessable by going through the other. "No big deal"- it was the kids bedrooms they "had" to get along- period.

This particular thread- the OP is considering "new" construction.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:20 PM

38 posts, read 166,652 times
Don't know I didn't think about removing the wall in front of the stair haha. I can see that it look much nicer without that wall! These idea are much better than what I came up with originally, and better than the bedroom cross one.
And now I just need to consult with family on what they want and any small modification similar to the plan.
Thanks everyone and K'ledgeBldr.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
If yer still open to suggestions, The closet doors you have as 2/8 wide doors. Change them to 2/0 doors and have them open out. The closet space is diminished with the doors opening in and you don't need that large of a door on such a small closet. You're also showing the light switch to the closet light inside the closet, I'd suggest moving them to the bedroom side. We use a lot of rocker style switches here as it works for kids and folks in wheelchairs without having to lower the switch height. We use a lighted switch for all exterior lighting. I would also suggest using a duplex receptacle with nightlight in all baths and in hallways. It makes for a safer house at night and in most cases, you don't really have to turn on the light and be blinded when you turn the light off in the middle of the night. Makes it look like moonlight in the area. The ones we use go off when the lights come on or the sunlight fills the room.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:47 AM

38 posts, read 166,652 times
Oh, the door was for drawing purposes. I will use smaller ones, thanks for the reminder. All the electrical layout should be fine. I was copying/pasting the layout to get the shape idea, this end up shuffling some things around. I will double check before I build though.

And yes, I'm still open to suggestion since it will take some time to get this started. I think I can get this done reasonably well under 20k doing it on my own and with some help from professional friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House