Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be your washer choice
Front Load 36 36.73%
Top Load 62 63.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:46 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Hi all just thought I would give you all a hint about drying time taking so long mine used to take about 60 minutes for all loads well not anymore when I tried the dryer balls . they are so awesome and they work wonders and you wont need fabric softener any more and you can mainly get them in the dollar stores .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, I wasn't raised that way at all, and I grew up in high humidity areas (and live in one now). In fact, until front loading washers became "the it thing," I had literally never heard of having to leave the washer door open to let things dry out or to avoid a moldy or musty smell, and please believe me when I say that I was raised in a very clean home and keep a very clean home myself.

Neither I nor any of my family has ever had a problem with mold in our washers, and we've never had to leave the doors open on our top loaders. So yes, it would be a hassle for me to feel like i needed to do that, and I don't like leaving any cabinet doors open so it would bother me.

But to each his own - if it doesn't bother you, have at it. It's not like it's some sort of moral issue.
Hahah - to get those colors I'd be willing to put up with a lot more "hassle" than just leaving the door open!...especially with the money saving features I'd be getting! ...but I leave my shower door open too so that'd totally freak you out because there's not even savings associated with that

Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 AM

To cut down on the "wear and tear" on my clothes I typically use a quite short "agitate" time of 5 - 6 minutes and then double the spin cycle to help on the dry time. Of course I don't have kids and my clothes are only lightly soiled so that works fine for me....

Old 10-08-2014, 08:04 AM

Question about front loaders - how are they with stretchy knits? I mean the heavy, more loosely knit sweaters - does the water movement stretch them out more? With my top-loader I usually put them in large lingerie bags so they don't catch on things and to keep them a little more "contained". Any issues that you've noticed?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Hahah - to get those colors I'd be willing to put up with a lot more "hassle" than just leaving the door open!...especially with the money saving features I'd be getting! ...but I leave my shower door open too so that'd totally freak you out because there's not even savings associated with that
Well, top loaders come in all sorts of cool colors too (I chose stainless steel but I could have chosen red, cobalt blue, white, or black).

And yes, the open shower door would totally freak me out.

When I go over to my mother's house, I go around closing cabinet doors and drawers. I don't understand leaving them open. It's not like they're hard to open OR close!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Question about front loaders - how are they with stretchy knits? I mean the heavy, more loosely knit sweaters - does the water movement stretch them out more? With my top-loader I usually put them in large lingerie bags so they don't catch on things and to keep them a little more "contained". Any issues that you've noticed?
It's not really the water movement that is an issue, it's the centrifugal force when it spins. I use lingerie bags for delicate items so they stay more contained. And most (maybe all?) front loaders have a delicate cycle where the spin cycle is less powerful so it's more gentle.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's not really the water movement that is an issue, it's the centrifugal force when it spins. I use lingerie bags for delicate items so they stay more contained. And most (maybe all?) front loaders have a delicate cycle where the spin cycle is less powerful so it's more gentle.

My front loader (like my top loader) offers a delicate and a wool cycle which just changes the temperature of the water and the spin speed of the cycles (low speed for delicates & wool). I've never had a problem washing knits. I use the drying rack that you insert in the dryer and just use the air option to dry them or I dry them on a drying rack. And yeah, I use lingerie bags for smaller items, but not for larger pieces like sweaters.

And being that I have both a FL and TL, I tend to wash the knits in my FL machine.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Never heard of leaving anything open.
Always had top load.
No smells or weirdness.
If that suddenly became a rule regarding what I had to do with my washer, I'd never buy that washer (front load).

Old 10-08-2014, 10:04 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Never heard of leaving anything open.
Always had top load.
No smells or weirdness.
If that suddenly became a rule regarding what I had to do with my washer, I'd never buy that washer (front load).
It is because top load washers do not actually seal when you close the lid. Moisture is able to escape with the lid shut. Also, as I posted earlier, it isn't like the door on the front loader is left completely open. Even newer front loaders are handling the moisture issue a bit better. They are having the barrels be at a slight angle to help with water drainage. These are just things you need to be aware of when shopping for a new washer. I'm pro front load, but not against top load. I think a lot of the people who had problems with front loaders bought the first run when they first hit the market because it was the 'new' thing to have and these early machines did have a lot of problems.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:07 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Top loaders are the best.. you can fill it fast and easy.. no rubber and any creases that hold moisture in them and stink after a while. Not banging my legs in the front door when I leave it open. I just don't get it, why people like that.. I see they are very helpful in places with tight space so you need to squeeze the washer in the kitchen or bathroom and use the top as counter space like what they do in Europe, but we have plenty of space here, we even have "Laundry Rooms".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House