Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times

Advertisements

WAIT! Company #2 said that air handlers are not SEER rated, so I could get one to match the 13 SEER compressor next year?? (w/o costing more)?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 11:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Oversizing the coil will give you more ability to wring out a little more humidity, which you folks in texas need.

The VSM is more efficient. There's an ROI if you're using the blower for extended periods for say constant filtration or to reduce stratification. If the plan is to use the blower only on a demand for cooling or heating, an ordinary multispeed more is the way to go. Lower upfront cost, less finicky, less expensive to replace down the road, and probably less down time if and when it does fail.

DFW has a winter design temperature below 30 so I'd imagine that you're using back up electrical strip heaters in your current A/H and any new A/H will need that option as well. 1,500 can't include that.

I can't remember the name of his outfit, but Mark Beiser is in your area and you'd be a lucky man if he had any interest in your project. I don't impress easily but he has an amazing amount of knowledge stuffed between his ears. If low price is your chief concern, please don't waste his time...if you can find him.
I get a good coil with a expansion value ;little more for more efficiency. Remember they make cheap and they make better ;so get other quotes in writing with brand and specs. All the companies make units for new cookie cutter hoses to keep price down.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I get a good coil with a expansion value ;little more for more efficiency. Remember they make cheap and they make better ;so get other quotes in writing with brand and specs. All the companies make units for new cookie cutter hoses to keep price down.
You quoting btuhack's post caused me to read it again. This comapny said the exact opposite. That a larger indoor unit than out will not get the humidity out as well!

ARGH!

They said it will technically cool better, but leave it muggy, causing it not to feel as cool and the unit to go on and off more than if it's a 1.5 ton like the outside.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 PM

185 posts, read 245,360 times
Default Soor a bit off AC but same struggles...

This mole hill is turning into a mountain. I feel for ya. How some things seem so simple get so complicated so easily is sooo frustrating.

I have had the same problem finding a roofer. Unusual style of roof in this area. A flat top touch down with scuppers and downs spouts no gutters or overhang. The Cathredral roofing is covered in concrete tile with gutters no overhang. It a bloody nightmare. Estimates rage from $32,000 just for the tile section 800 squares to $5500. Thet ourchild down is a constant repair.

It's always leaking especially around the scuppers. Constantly having it repaired had flat top replace with touch down when it was just tar & that is a all other nightmare...

I just fix what I can myself. Or call some one to repair it . Winter is coming , GOT LOTS OF BUCKETS!

One of thse days I'll figure it out. It's an unusual residential roof so not many roofers are experienced in this area. It's more like a Florida roof style.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 AM

Does the fact that I only need an air handler, not a compressor, change anyone's minds that the 1500 quote might not be shoddy product/instalation?

Old 10-14-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle4stop View Post
This mole hill is turning into a mountain. I feel for ya. How some things seem so simple get so complicated so easily is sooo frustrating.

I have had the same problem finding a roofer. Unusual style of roof in this area. A flat top touch down with scuppers and downs spouts no gutters or overhang. The Cathredral roofing is covered in concrete tile with gutters no overhang. It a bloody nightmare. Estimates rage from $32,000 just for the tile section 800 squares to $5500. Thet ourchild down is a constant repair.

It's always leaking especially around the scuppers. Constantly having it repaired had flat top replace with touch down when it was just tar & that is a all other nightmare...

I just fix what I can myself. Or call some one to repair it . Winter is coming , GOT LOTS OF BUCKETS!

One of thse days I'll figure it out. It's an unusual residential roof so not many roofers are experienced in this area. It's more like a Florida roof style.
The closest roofer I know to you is in Scottsdale ;-).

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
when it comes to hvac, price doesn't matter, reputation is what you want. find somebody that been in business thirty years, have fifteen to thirty work trucks, yellow page ad, and been in same location. some body with a son in their name like joe blow and son hvac. the reason, you want somebody that still be in business ten years from now when it breaks,

hvac schools turn out tech s every ninety days, you want somebody successful in business, someone that factory train and supported that can afford warranty work. go name brand, somebody with a shop office with sign out front and doesn't work out of personal truck with magnetic sign

Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
when it comes to hvac, price doesn't matter, reputation is what you want. find somebody that been in business thirty years, have fifteen to thirty work trucks, yellow page ad, and been in same location. some body with a son in their name like joe blow and son hvac. the reason, you want somebody that still be in business ten years from now when it breaks,

hvac schools turn out tech s every ninety days, you want somebody successful in business, someone that factory train and supported that can afford warranty work. go name brand, somebody with a shop office with sign out front and doesn't work out of personal truck with magnetic sign
Some locations just will not be able to support someone with "fifteen to thirty work trucks". Not enough people in the area. In our area, the owner of one of the most highly respected companies in the field had all daughters. Another one was the son-in-law of the founder, and his son had no desire to continue the business. Number of trucks and the word "son" seem to be pretty poor indicators of a good reputation.

By the way, we had one person who opened his business and called it Name and Son. Son happened to be 2 years old at the time and the business was closed within 5 years. Poor workmanship was his downfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House