Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:24 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times

Advertisements

Firstly, my next-door-neighbor is a nosey tool. No really, he is.

He's made snarky remarks about my house.
Before I built a fence around my yard, he's come into my yard uninvited.
I've seen him dropping his loose trash into other neighbors' trash bins.

He's been in his house since it was built (24 years); I moved into my home 5 months ago. We both own.

Ultimately, he's a bit of an a$$ and he has boundary issues.

His latest habit is keeping his big trash bin right up against my backyard fence (not in his yard, but against the part of my fence that is along the community walkway--obstructing part of the walkway). It's strange because his yard is not fenced in and there is plenty of room for his trash bin. I guess he just doesn't want to sully his yard by keeping his trash bin on his property.

The first time I noticed it, I moved the bin to the sidewalk (where community trash is picked up). A little passive-aggressive on my part, I know. He moved it back to in front of my fence. I don't like knocking on neighbors' doors unannounced so... Yesterday, I placed a very nice note on the trash bin and moved it away from my fence. The note said "Hello, please stop putting your trash bin on my fence. I keep my trash bin on my own property because it's an eyesore to others and inconvenient to those passing by the property. Thank you! Very respectfully....your neighbor."

Today, the trash bin is back on my fence.

I want to go to the HOA, but I'm not sure if this is silly. It's annoying as hell, but is it a silly thing to take to HOA? Also, the last thing I want is a neighbor feud. The HOA docs state that trash bins should be stored out of sight on non-pick up days.

And, yes, I know the bin is his. He keeps his recycle bin in his yard (just not the trash bin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
How effective is the HOA? There is always a chance that the douche next door, after 24 years, is a past president, or has friends on the HOA board.
It seems you already have a neighborhood feud, except you are the only one being inconvenienced. You have already tried being nice and it didn't work, so I would file a complaint. The danger is that the HOA won't do anything about it.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Go talk to him in person. Ask his specifically why he is putting his trash bin on your property. Sometimes it just takes a face to face meeting with an idiot like that, calling his hand. Tell him in person not to put his trashcan on your property - nicely but firmly. Be polite but direct.

If he does it again, remove the bin entirely. Do you have a shed with a lock on it? If so, move that bin into your shed. If he asks about it, tell him that you assumed he meant to give it to you since he insisted on putting it on your property after you asked him politely not to do so. Tell him that you consider any item left on your property to be yours to do with as you see fit.

Of course, if you don't want to get that "in his face," then just go to the HOA about it. I don't think it's silly. Trash bins are eyesores and on top of that, he's impeding a common walk way. It's really their business as much as it is yours. They will probably send him a letter, which he'll ignore.

I honestly think the best bet is one warning and from then on, just dispose of his trash bins. Not sure how big they are and I know that's a hassle, but I bet he gets tired of replacing them pretty quickly.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
A note to the HOA that a trash bin is blocking the walk way.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
I would suggest talking to other neighbors about this guy first. Maybe others have tried in the past to get him to do this or that and he does not go along with the program?

They may give you some good advice on how to handle the person. Or perhaps not even try because it is pointless. Or maybe you need to take HOA or legal action?

Do a little snooping on him first...

Old 10-12-2014, 10:00 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Just contact your HOA and don't forget to send pictures of all violations that this person is doing, plus if your HOA is run correctly then your identity will remain confidential !!!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
CaliDoll, you've already got a bad relationship with your neighbor. He is being deliberately provocative, letting you know that he can do just as he pleases without regard to your opinion. He might as well come into your yard, unzip, and mark your flower beds.

I think you should talk to your other neighbors before you take any action. Just tell your neighbors that you are puzzled by his behavior, and ask them what they think you should do. Then listen.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,738 times
Thanks for all the advice, guys. At this point, I haven't even moved it from my fence today (yet). I know it'll come back, so it seems futile. I want to make the right decision going forward.

Also, these are townhouses, not SFHs. So, the yards are really close. This doesn't make it any less annoying, though.

Another thing I didn't mention:

When I first moved here, I noticed that the neighbors on the end (end unit--other side of douchy guy) had four trash/recycle bins in their yard. I though that was odd. Then the end unit guys moved out and, all of a sudden, douchy guy has his own trash/recycle bins. I'm assuming here, but I think he actually kept his trash/recycle bins in his neighbors non-fenced-in yard! I'll give him the benefit in assuming that he asked them and they allowed this behavior. When they moved out and new people moved in, he had to find somewhere else to keep his bins. I guess I'm the lucky one now. LOL! What a tool!

Last edited by Cali Doll; 10-12-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:21 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Go talk to him in person. Ask his specifically why he is putting his trash bin on your property. Sometimes it just takes a face to face meeting with an idiot like that, calling his hand. Tell him in person not to put his trashcan on your property - nicely but firmly. Be polite but direct.
I like this advice. Too often, people feel intimidated at the thought of discussing a problem face-to-face with the offender......but HE is the one in the wrong. You should not feel one teensy bit badly about bringing your displeasure to his attention. He has no right to burden you with his trash can. Period.

Quote:
If he does it again, remove the bin entirely. Do you have a shed with a lock on it? If so, move that bin into your shed. If he asks about it, tell him that you assumed he meant to give it to you since he insisted on putting it on your property after you asked him politely not to do so. Tell him that you consider any item left on your property to be yours to do with as you see fit.
And once again, I like this advice. No, actually, I love it. He is rudely trying to show you that his wishes trump yours, and it's time to clear up that misconception!

Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Firstly, my next-door-neighbor is a nosey tool. No really, he is.

He's made snarky remarks about my house.
Before I built a fence around my yard, he's come into my yard uninvited.
I've seen him dropping his loose trash into other neighbors' trash bins.

He's been in his house since it was built (24 years); I moved into my home 5 months ago. We both own.

Ultimately, he's a bit of an a$$ and he has boundary issues.

His latest habit is keeping his big trash bin right up against my backyard fence (not in his yard, but against the part of my fence that is along the community walkway--obstructing part of the walkway). It's strange because his yard is not fenced in and there is plenty of room for his trash bin. I guess he just doesn't want to sully his yard by keeping his trash bin on his property.

The first time I noticed it, I moved the bin to the sidewalk (where community trash is picked up). A little passive-aggressive on my part, I know. He moved it back to in front of my fence. I don't like knocking on neighbors' doors unannounced so... Yesterday, I placed a very nice note on the trash bin and moved it away from my fence. The note said "Hello, please stop putting your trash bin on my fence. I keep my trash bin on my own property because it's an eyesore to others and inconvenient to those passing by the property. Thank you! Very respectfully....your neighbor."

Today, the trash bin is back on my fence.

I want to go to the HOA, but I'm not sure if this is silly. It's annoying as hell, but is it a silly thing to take to HOA? Also, the last thing I want is a neighbor feud. The HOA docs state that trash bins should be stored out of sight on non-pick up days.

And, yes, I know the bin is his. He keeps his recycle bin in his yard (just not the trash bin).

Why not take his trash bin in your hands, knock on his door and hand it to him and tell him you found it on
YOUR Property and wanted to check to see if it was his "before" you call the trash collector to pick up a trash bin that is not yours.
Then tell him with authority IF the trash bin in found on your property again, it will become part of the trash and every trash bin after that will become part of the trash, it will not be returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House