Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM

222 posts, read 450,489 times

Advertisements

Thats a shame I really liked their 32 ft. non door dispenser fridge.... Ive been told to stay away from samsung but their 5.6 cu ft front load washer has really good reviews and appears to be at the top of consumerreports reliability....

Heres the fridge: https://www.plessers.com/Lg/lfcs31626s.htm

heres the samsung washer/dryer: https://www.plessers.com/Samsung/wf56h9100a.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 03:24 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,097,295 times
Buy whatever you like.. but learn from my mistakes. If any tiny little thing is wrong, doesn't work, or appears to be breaking, call them to have it serviced, and make sure you get a receipt that the repairman was there.
It never dawned on me to be concerned that I wasn't getting a work order receipt because every time the repairman fixed it, it would work again but he never let the dw run through the whole cycle. Once he left and I used it for a full cycle I'd get the 'codes indicating something was wrong and it would shut down.
Another repairman told me that's what they do. If they don't give you a work order receipt you have no proof they were there so many times, so you can't demand a replacement under the lemon law.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:40 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
There's always refurbishing a vintage or an antique when it comes to stoves. If it's been around a few decades and is still working, then it's a sturdy unit. Folks seem to like Chambers stoves and they have a good resale value when you get tired of them, too. For me, personally, I want a gas stove with a pilot light for the oven. That keeps the oven nice and warm and gives me a place to store taco chips so they won't get limp. We have high humidity, without the "hotbox" of the pilot light in the oven, we'd not have crisp chips once the bag was opened. It's also handy to dry out various things.

Refrigerators are a bit more problematic when it comes to restoration. We put in a 22 cu. ft. Kenmore refrigerator three years ago. Freezer on top, ice maker in the freezer. Other than being black and showing fingerprints, there's not any complaints about it. Energy Star and cheap to run, too. Which, considering the electricity around here is forty four cents a kilowatt hour (could be four times more expensive than yours) how efficient appliances are is important.

With washing machines, when the older ones break, frequently it's a small plastic part under the tub. Which is pretty much the same on all of them and easy enough to replace. Personally I prefer top loaders without any electronics.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Found the speed queen in stainless set for 3500 shipped and no tax through presslers. The more research I do the more I'm leaning heavily in favor of the US made setup used in many commercial applications. The fridge we like is an LG 32cu ft. French door without any of the door computer contraptions or water/ice dispenser.
LOL lifes garbage aka LG is complete crap. have fun and I hope it lasts. oh and if you think LG is gonna give you great customer support forget it there contracted out from a 3rd world country and can barely understand english been there done that. I would avoid Samsung and lg at all costs

Old 10-21-2014, 04:38 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Ok, so where are you shopping? A home improvement store, or an appliance store? In my opinion, you will have the best results if you buy from a store which services their appliances. They will know which ones are built the best and have the most reliability.
For example, we only dealt with a locally owned appliance store where we used to live, but have not bought an appliance since. They said that Fisher Paykel and Speed Queen were the best washer and dryers. Other than that, I don't have an opinion, but you should deal with a store that deals in appliances only, and listen to what they say.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:11 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
We dont use a microwave in our house so we have been looking at alternate food heating methods this has brought us to the Breville Smart Toaster OvenBOV800XL
I have that exact toaster oven and I LOVE it. Hands down the best one I have ever had.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:00 PM

222 posts, read 450,489 times
We will be buying from Plessers.com

Old 10-22-2014, 02:40 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
We will be buying from Plessers.com
I would never buy appliances online unless there was a brick and mortar store nearby that would accept returns. Appliances are just too notorious for lemons.

Also, my mom has a Samsung refrigerator that she loves. It's about 5 years old now and they have had no issues with it at all. I think it's a good choice.

Best Refrigerators of 2013 | Refrigerator Reviews - Consumer Reports News

Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
While doing research is good, you have to hit a point where you make a decision and stick with it come hell or high water. You can Easily over-analyze, becoming frozen and indecisive. Similarly, if you rely o User reviews, it's easy to lose sight of the big picture and get hung up on something the vocal minority are having issues with.

I'm a research-oholic myself. Thankfully, I've come across one review site that seems to hit the sweet spot for me and have yet to steer my wrong. Actually, it's 2 sites, one for tech gear (Thewirecutter.com) and one for home items (Thesweethome.com). The reviewers seem to be Vastly more intouch with the average consumer, and the research is methodical. At least take a look at what they've come across. I know on the Fridge entry, they give advice on helping you pick from outside their suggestions:

The Best Refrigerator | The Sweethome

Similarly, here's their review on Washer and Dryers (I'm absolutly no fan of top-loads, they're simply a pain in the back and you lose the option of stacking ~ something that I'm being forced into for the first time in the decade that I've owned my front-load units):

The Best Washer and Dryer | The Sweethome

And you already found their top review for a toaster oven:

The Best Toaster Oven is Expensive, but Great | The Sweethome

Were I buying any of those major appliances today, and buying New, I'd be following those recommendations. Thankfully our Wash/Dryer was the last new large appliance purchase (Kenmore HE3 models, bought in 2004), and we've had zero issues with them. I buy used refrigerators and currently have a Samsung that originally sold for $2500, that I paid $300 for and then replaced a $50 part (coil heater on the fridge side).

Good luck!
You do realize that The Sweethome gets paid every time somebody buys something using one of the links on their site, don't you? That's not what I would necessarily call objective reviews.

But I have that Breville convection toaster oven and I love the thing.

But, back to the OP's issue, here's what I think: No appliances are made to last forever anymore. If you get ten years out of most of them, you've done well. Stay away from front loading washers and dryers. Try to avoid the damn outside the fridge ice makers and water dispensers. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches and service fees later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House