Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times

Advertisements

You are correct that some places have all that power if you violate the building codes and will do it. But not everywhere. The EPA has regs to prohibit pollution but if it isn't a big polluter, they do not have the enforcement staff to make it stick. They don't go door to door to see if everyone is obeying the regs. The county is who to go to but they aren't always interested in enforcement. How it is in one place is not necessarily true in another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 PM

394 posts, read 2,002,645 times
Quote:
I also have a hard time believing anyone built buildings without permits. If I were to even try to put new vinyl siding on a home without one they are at the job before I can even rip open the boxes of siding. If I were to do electical or plumbing and did not have it inspected before I closed up the walls then the Building Inspectors have the power of law to force you to tear it all back out. If you do not then you will never get a CO (cert. of occupancy) and without that you can never sell your home or remortgage it, and in many cases, insure it. If there was a loss, insurance would not pay for it if work was done without inspection approval.
It certainly varies from location to location. We remodeled our last home without a single permit; new deck, new bathrooms, new kitchen, new heating, new wiring, etc. My husband does custom carpentry and woodworking for a living, and we did have a professional electrician do the wiring, but again, we had no permits. No one raised an eyebrow, or asked any questions when we went to sell the home. Neither the buyer or her bank asked any questions.

But in some towns, building inspectors are really bad, there is no doubt about it. They can abuse their positions of authority, even revel in it.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
kshe I have a hard time believing this.

If they dump paint on their lawn, they have other problems and they are not with the state. The DEP or EPA or whatever they call it in your area is obviously a Federal agency and they will fine them in massive numbers. They will also label their yard an environmental disaster which will make it eligable for federal disaster funds to clean it. Then they will go after the polluters for criminal prosecution. What you claim your neighbor does is a very serious Federal crime.

You complained to the county for years? Have you tried Zoning? Part of your property taxes pay those clowns to see to it zoning ordances are kept. If not then try the Mayor. If he dont care then perhaps you should consider running for the hills.

I also have a hard time believing anyone built buildings without permits. If I were to even try to put new vinyl siding on a home without one they are at the job before I can even rip open the boxes of siding. If I were to do electical or plumbing and did not have it inspected before I closed up the walls then the Building Inspectors have the power of law to force you to tear it all back out. If you do not then you will never get a CO (cert. of occupancy) and without that you can never sell your home or remortgage it, and in many cases, insure it. If there was a loss, insurance would not pay for it if work was done without inspection approval.

Your government as is all government is as useless as braille on an ATM driveup machine but give them the old college try. They do have to build up brownie points for the next election.
I live in a VERY rural area in Marion County Fl. We are on the fringes of the Ocala National Forest, and the inhabitants therof have a terrible rep... there are still some parts out here that African-Americans will not drive through, and the law tries to avoid. Things happen out here that you would simply not believe, as you stated in your post.
It sounded like Baghdad out here New Years Eve, I was freaked out that stray bullets were going to fall on the house.
That being said, I have contacted EVERYONE in county government! The good ole boy system is still alive and well here, and its not what you know, its whom. Since I am not a native, I am viewed as one of those pesky Yankees, and ignored.
We are in the process of contacting the state, which will be a slow process, but I am going to keep plugging away, I am a firm believer in the "squeaky wheel" theory.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
We didn't have building codes till the 20'th century, and today we need Big Brother's permission to do anything. It really does not take much to be able to build a suitiable home, and people who live outside of cities, far from each other should be able to build whatever they want. I am just disgusted with Government in general and wish they would leave people alone. I wonder if they even pulled a building permit to build the White House.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We didn't have building codes till the 20'th century, and today we need Big Brother's permission to do anything. It really does not take much to be able to build a suitiable home, and people who live outside of cities, far from each other should be able to build whatever they want. I am just disgusted with Government in general and wish they would leave people alone. I wonder if they even pulled a building permit to build the White House.
Amen to everything you said.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:27 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I live in a VERY rural area in Marion County Fl. We are on the fringes of the Ocala National Forest, and the inhabitants therof have a terrible rep... there are still some parts out here that African-Americans will not drive through, and the law tries to avoid. Things happen out here that you would simply not believe, as you stated in your post.
It sounded like Baghdad out here New Years Eve, I was freaked out that stray bullets were going to fall on the house.
That being said, I have contacted EVERYONE in county government! The good ole boy system is still alive and well here, and its not what you know, its whom. Since I am not a native, I am viewed as one of those pesky Yankees, and ignored.
We are in the process of contacting the state, which will be a slow process, but I am going to keep plugging away, I am a firm believer in the "squeaky wheel" theory.
kshe I just do not know even how to answer you or what else to say. Sounds like you live in the backwoods up in the hills in West Virginia back in the 1950s. But you said this was in Florida in 2008? Remind others not to come and visit Marion County when ever you get the chance.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
kshe I just do not know even how to answer you or what else to say. Sounds like you live in the backwoods up in the hills in West Virginia back in the 1950s. But you said this was in Florida in 2008? Remind others not to come and visit Marion County when ever you get the chance.
You just hit the nail right on the head! Its a pity, there are some areas that are quite lovely.... we just keep waiting for the good ole boys to die off And yes, thats just how it is here, cant wait to move back to Mo, but I have at least 10 more years here.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Agree 100%. If a person owns a significant amount of land/acreage in a rural area, why should he need to be concerned about building permits and codes. If he builds the structure wrong, he endangers his life, not mine. Let him alone. Aren't there more serious problems to worry about than this.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 AM

87 posts, read 491,309 times
I just so happened to have received this little tidbit in my email yesterday and while it is a bit off topic, and may or may not even be real, it certainly seemed apropos to this discussion....

This is an actual letter sent to a man named Ryan DeVries by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, State of Michigan.

This man's response is nothing but GENIOUS, but read the State's letter before you get to the response letter.

(State's letter)

SUBJECT: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Montcalm County

Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond. A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity. A review of the Department's files show that no permits have been issued.

Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, annotated.

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially failed during a recent rain event, causing debris and flooding at downstream locations. We find that dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all activities at this location, and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by removing all wood and brush forming the dams from the stream channel. All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31, 2005.

Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so that a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff. Failure to comply with this request or any further unauthorized activity on the site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action. We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

David L. Price
District Representative, Land and Water Management Division

This is the actual response sent back:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20;
Montcalm County.

Dear Mr. Price,

Your certified letter dated 12/17/04 has been handed to me to respond in regarding to the above mentioned file. I am the legal landowner but not the Contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan.

A couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam project, I think they would be highly offended that you call their skillful use of natures building materials "debris." I would like to challenge your department to attempt to emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose.

I believe I can safely state there is no way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic. As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

My first dam question to you is:

(1) Are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers... or
(2) do you require all beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request?

If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, through The Freedom of Information Act, I request completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, annotated.

I have several concerns. My first concern is... aren't the beavers entitled to legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said representation, so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing flooding is proof that this is a natural occurrence, which the Department is required to protect. In other words, we should leave the Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling them dam names.

If you want the stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition please contact the beavers, but if you are going to arrest them, they obviously did not pay any attention to your dam letter... they being unable to read English. In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream. They have more dam rights than I do to live and enjoy Spring Pond.

If the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should protect the natural resources (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams). So, as far as the beavers and I are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more elevated enforcement action right now.

Why wait until 1/31/2005? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then and there will be no way for you or your dam staff to harass them then. In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention to a real environmental quality (health) problem in the area. It is the bears! Bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the beavers alone.

If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!) Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

Thank You,
Ryan DeVries & The Dam Beavers

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,645 times
I remember that story about the beavers. The DEQ claimed the man had built up the dams himself after the beavers abandoned them:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Beaver Dam Letter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House