Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times

Advertisements

It's eating any cat food left in the bowl and drinking from their water dish. Some big balls on that rat...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,158 times
I was gonna say open the hole and let the cats earn their food and board, but if they're anything like mine (Palmetto bugs are the thing here) they will remove legs and watch it until it dies

Exterminator would probably be the best bet. Especially if they could run gas or poison in the wall to exterminate, then open the wall and remove all carcasses. Good luck OP, that scratching behind the wall must be driving those gatos CRAZY, they're probably thinking !!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Don't let it die in the wall, the stench will be really bad.
Oh god how true is this... Lived in an apartment that was very laissez-faire and GOD that smell was bad.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Oh god how true is this... Lived in an apartment that was very laissez-faire and GOD that smell was bad.
Ours smell like roses when they die. The cats killed and left one in the basement and we only found the remains after noticing a ton of flies.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Eww...gas it and clean it up once it is dead. Call an exterminator, though, because you might have a whole nest!

Also, make sure your "rat" isn't a baby squirrel or other cute woodland creature that does not infest houses but can sometimes be mistaken for a rat by homeowners.
A baby squirrel is just a rat with a fancy tail... IT'S STILL A RODENT!

I go OUT OF MY WAY to run one over if I see one in the road while driving.
I shoot them every chance I have (with a bb gun - as I'm in the city) and dispose of them with a smile.

Just because they look at cute and cuddly does NOT give them an invitation to live in my house...

When I once lived in Woodstock, GA - (the sticks) - I shot 4 of them in one day - just minutes before the garbage man came to collect my trash. A few minutes later I got a knock on the door and it was (I am NOT exaggerating a bit!) 3 toothed trash man. He saw my rodent kills in the trash and asked that next time I shoot one, to put it in a plastic bag in the freezer and put it on top of the trash can the day he collected... "They make great stew," he said... I then said I would, closed the door and had a hard time keeping my lunch down.... the dude eats RATS?....

Old 10-27-2014, 05:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
He's probably already remodeled and installed his own emergency exit.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
A baby squirrel is just a rat with a fancy tail... IT'S STILL A RODENT!

I go OUT OF MY WAY to run one over if I see one in the road while driving.
I shoot them every chance I have (with a bb gun - as I'm in the city) and dispose of them with a smile.

Just because they look at cute and cuddly does NOT give them an invitation to live in my house...

When I once lived in Woodstock, GA - (the sticks) - I shot 4 of them in one day - just minutes before the garbage man came to collect my trash. A few minutes later I got a knock on the door and it was (I am NOT exaggerating a bit!) 3 toothed trash man. He saw my rodent kills in the trash and asked that next time I shoot one, to put it in a plastic bag in the freezer and put it on top of the trash can the day he collected... "They make great stew," he said... I then said I would, closed the door and had a hard time keeping my lunch down.... the dude eats RATS?....

Woooooow. That's just....

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
He's probably already remodeled and installed his own emergency exit.
That was my concern, but I haven't found it. The crawl space under the kitchen was sealed with about 8" of spray foam a few months ago so if he went through that there would be evidence. All of the pipe openings were liberally filled with foam. His easiest exit would either be through one of the pipe openings or through the drywall.

That said, the scratching has stopped. The last cat food he stole was a 'high protein' dry food. If he gorged on that and didn't drink any water he's probably dead at this point.

I decided to go with the 'set a trap, close off the cabinet, and cut a hole approach' giving him a few day to get good and hungry. If a baited trap doesn't lure him out, I'll drill a few holes and fill the rest of the cavity with spray foam. At least that should seal up the carcass if it's in there. Whomever remodels the kitchen will get a nice surprise...

Last edited by mkarch; 10-27-2014 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Move. That's what I'd do.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
No self-respecting rat (or non-self-respecting rat either) is going to remain trapped in a house. It found a way out. It will likely be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House