Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 07:34 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hi,
found pretty decent 720p security cameras at costco for 400 bucks (8 cams). installation is about 400 additional.

The pros are obvious.....some additional peace of mind....deterrent of certain events....etc.
Aside from the cost involved, what other cons are there?

ps. this is a single family home, about ~3k sq.ft. on quarter of an acre.
No cons for me. I am away from home quite often, for a few days, so I like being able to check on things when I am away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If I felt that I needed these I'd pack up and move.
I just installed four - one on each side of the house. They are part of an overall security system. I live in a low crime area and a good neighborhood, but I am a woman living alone and my deceased husband has a sort of crazy ex wife.

I just want to feel safe and they do help me feel safer.

With the security system, I don't get notified about random movements or lightning strikes or bugs - just people - and not people I've tagged as people I recognize, like myself or my granddaughter. I am not sure how they do that but it seems to work.

Prior to having these installed with the security system (same app), in my other house, I had Nest cameras which were on a separate app but they worked really well too - excellent picture in fact.

Wow, just realized this thread is six years old. Oh well. Technology has changed a lot.

Once about ten years ago, I helped the police apprehend a burglar who was in the area - also a very nice area for the record, with a low crime rate. But my security cameras caught this fool TRYING TO PRY OPEN A GARAGE WINDOW AT MY HOUSE AT THREE AM! He didn't succeed. The footage also showed the car (and driver) that was slowly going around the neighborhood while he went around on foot. I believe the police caught them both.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:07 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just installed four - one on each side of the house. They are part of an overall security system. I live in a low crime area and a good neighborhood, but I am a woman living alone and my deceased husband has a sort of crazy ex wife.

I just want to feel safe and they do help me feel safer.

With the security system, I don't get notified about random movements or lightning strikes or bugs - just people - and not people I've tagged as people I recognize, like myself or my granddaughter. I am not sure how they do that but it seems to work.

Prior to having these installed with the security system (same app), in my other house, I had Nest cameras which were on a separate app but they worked really well too - excellent picture in fact.

Wow, just realized this thread is six years old. Oh well. Technology has changed a lot.

Once about ten years ago, I helped the police apprehend a burglar who was in the area - also a very nice area for the record, with a low crime rate. But my security cameras caught this fool TRYING TO PRY OPEN A GARAGE WINDOW AT MY HOUSE AT THREE AM! He didn't succeed. The footage also showed the car (and driver) that was slowly going around the neighborhood while he went around on foot. I believe the police caught them both.
We've had the Nest cameras for a few years now and they're good. They're pricy, but I find the "smart" features to be pretty useful.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
We've had the Nest cameras for a few years now and they're good. They're pricy, but I find the "smart" features to be pretty useful.
Yep, I miss the Nest cameras a bit but the ones I have now, that are tied to my security system so I only have one app to deal with, are fine.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
I find the Ring doorbell useless. By the time I get my phone and open the app, the person has usually gone away, assuming that I am not home. And unless you pay for a subscription, it does not record. You only have access to current view; no history of who actually rang your doorbell!

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong and I just don't know how to use this darn thing.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:20 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I find the Ring doorbell useless. By the time I get my phone and open the app, the person has usually gone away, assuming that I am not home. And unless you pay for a subscription, it does not record. You only have access to current view; no history of who actually rang your doorbell!

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong and I just don't know how to use this darn thing.
Well neighbors in my area have caught car thieves and porch-pirates using theirs. Maybe you got a bad one.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:26 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, I miss the Nest cameras a bit but the ones I have now, that are tied to my security system so I only have one app to deal with, are fine.
What system are you using now? Any other nice features you like, aside from the single app?

Old 09-14-2021, 04:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well neighbors in my area have caught car thieves and porch-pirates using theirs. Maybe you got a bad one.
No - the product is separate from the video subscription. If you want the system to record, you have to buy a separate subscription with an ongoing fee from Ring. I hate buying a product, such as Ring doorbell, and then having to pay an ongoing fee to use it.

Remember, the story about Gillette razors and the disposable blades. Gillette didn't make much money on their safety razors, but made most of their money on customers having to buy new blades. It's like an annuity for the manufacturer. Same as these subscriptions for Ring.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:02 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hi,
found pretty decent 720p security cameras at costco for 400 bucks (8 cams). installation is about 400 additional.

The pros are obvious.....some additional peace of mind....deterrent of certain events....etc.
Aside from the cost involved, what other cons are there?

ps. this is a single family home, about ~3k sq.ft. on quarter of an acre.

For safety/peace of mind, I have a 12 ga pump by the bed, a 38 by my side of the bed, a 38 on her side of the bed, a 9mm downstairs... and no batteries to change, no UPS to install, no software to upgrade, no decrease in value. There is no deterrent like the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber, to cause an intruder to turn around and leave asap. All personal property doesn't matter, that's we we have a homeowners insurance policy.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-14-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
What system are you using now? Any other nice features you like, aside from the single app?
I use ADT's system, including their particular cameras and doorbell (I think they are Ring products). Anyway, they're fine and I like that it's all on one app.

I like that I can arm and disarm the system easily. I think the video quality is fine. It doesn't go off all the time so it was easy to program with people I know and dogs and all that.

I am thinking of upping my internet speed because I don't have super fast upload speed and so there's a slight lag in the doorbell feature or vocal features with all cameras, but it's not really significant most of the time so I don't really care much. Not sure it's worth another $20 a month.

Overall I am satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House