Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are the proud owners of a new environmentally correct, high profile toilet, which is working fine, EXCEPT it does not seem to wash the-stuff-you-want-washed-away, away well enough.
My question is, since we need to replace another toilet in the guest room, is this the difference between a $99. toilet and a $400. toilet? If they are all only allowed to use a maximum amount of water, what's the difference?
I don't want to spend a lot of money on another toilet, if the same problem is inherent in an expensive one.
I have replaced both of the toilets in my house. One is an Eljer Titan, supposed to flush a bucket of golf balls. And it probably would. It is that powerful. As I recall, it was about $300, 6 years ago. The other toilet is just 3 months old, and it is an American Standard Champion 4. It's not as powerful a flush as the Eljer (can't buy the Eljer anymore otherwise I would have) but it's good. It was a little over $200.

Both have a 1.6 gpf rate. Some toilets also have a 1.28 gpf - and those are called "high efficiency". I wouldn't have one if you paid me.

So, I don't think you need to spend $400, but I would certainly spend enough to get something better than the $99 bottom of the barrel. And I would make sure that it had a 1.6 flush rating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Toto Drake. Buy it and never be disappointed ever again. I will never own another toilet. I swear to that.
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...lems-go-7.html

Toto Drake toilet product review | Terry Love Plumbing & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum
As a plumber, Toto's are what everyone wants and for good reason, they flush much better.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I go to older neighborhoods and look for remodeling work. If it's a plumber I ask if they are installing a new toilet to replace an older 3 gal model. If yes, I ask the color and offer them $50 if it is white.

Who is being saved by low flow plumbing? I have installed several new shower heads over the years and toss the water saver bits. I did put a Jacuzzi toilet in my basement and it works OK for as much action as it gets - not much. The real workhorse of the house is the 1950's American Standard w/3 gal tank. I have rebuilt it several times over the decades but it gets used. Fluidmaster is a great company.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
We just bought this Kohler for about $300. We have a tiny powder room but it's the toilet that guests ALWAYS use and I didn't want them to be, errrr, in a tight with a toilet that doesn't flush well, or one that makes a huge amount of noise when it flushes.

We love it. And get this - it uses a small amount of water (I mean, look at the tank size) but WOW - it packs a powerful flush!

Plus it's cute. You know - you don't often get compliments on your toilet, but we get them on this one.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:34 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
I get compliments on mine all the time....not good ones though....

Kohler does a pretty good job for a low flow rate.....

Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
As a plumber, Toto's are what everyone wants and for good reason, they flush much better.
Not anymore.

One of the claims to fame on the Toto's is the sanigloss, it's advertised to be super slippery, so nothing sticks. http://www.totousa.com
But, most of the newer toilets have a similar surface for much less the cost.

When I needed to replace the toilets, I considered Toto's. I really, really wanted a Toto. Turned out I needed 2 toilets, and the first one was in the hall bath. I didn't want to put the expensive toilet in there. And then I decided that I didn't want to pay $500+ for a toilet anyways. I bought the Kohler Cimarron at Home Depot. Works like a dream, and super easy to clean. I now have two since early 2014, and I've only had to clean the bowl once. Apparently the flush is so powerful, it cleans the bowl at the same time.

Here is the best comparison website (& forum for all your potty-related questions)
Terry Love's Consumer toilet reports, a report and reviews on toilets

Last edited by caligirlz; 10-29-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We just bought this Kohler for about $300. We have a tiny powder room but it's the toilet that guests ALWAYS use and I didn't want them to be, errrr, in a tight with a toilet that doesn't flush well, or one that makes a huge amount of noise when it flushes.

We love it. And get this - it uses a small amount of water (I mean, look at the tank size) but WOW - it packs a powerful flush!

Plus it's cute. You know - you don't often get compliments on your toilet, but we get them on this one.
Because it's in your cute new little bathroom, and it's wearing a necklace.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:30 PM

99 posts, read 246,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We are the proud owners of a new environmentally correct, high profile toilet, which is working fine, EXCEPT it does not seem to wash the-stuff-you-want-washed-away, away well enough.
My question is, since we need to replace another toilet in the guest room, is this the difference between a $99. toilet and a $400. toilet? If they are all only allowed to use a maximum amount of water, what's the difference?
I don't want to spend a lot of money on another toilet, if the same problem is inherent in an expensive one.
One thing you might want to inspect before you buy a new toilet is the lever - chain - flapper inside the tank. If there is too much slack in the chain then the flapper will not stay open long enough for a complete flush (not enough water). Where the chain connects to the lever inside the tank has to be directly over the flapper. Should be about a 1/2 inch slack in the chain.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:35 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
The ones at work that don't work well are Kohlers. I still think it's the elongated bowl...

Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The ones at work that don't work well are Kohlers. I still think it's the elongated bowl...
Mine work fine. Maybe your company bought the cheapest model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House