Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:36 PM

19,745 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
You ordered it online & had it shipped?
I wasn't willing to go that route. I don't care how cheap it is.
Glad it worked out for you.
No- I bought it for the same price at the local plumbing distribution parts place here in Helena. That was jus the first Google search that came up, and it's spot on to what I paid for here locally. However I would buy a toilet on-line, especially if shipping were free. Why not, especially if you know the make and model you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's great! I'm glad you like your Toto. I love my Kohler too! Everyone wins!

Honestly, here's the deal - I just don't see what MORE a toilet can do - I mean, it's comfortable, it's not too tall and not too short, it flushes well, it's not noisy, it's easy to clean, and it doesn't use much water, and it looks sleek and actually sort of interesting. It's all good!

A secreted closet throne you can sit your butt on and poop. Got Wi-Fi?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Toto Drake. Buy it and never be disappointed ever again. I will never own another toilet. I swear to that.
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...lems-go-7.html

Toto Drake toilet product review | Terry Love Plumbing & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum

Amen, I had $600 toilets (Kohler Rialto) installed 6 years ago. They never worked right -- and, when a part broke (which happened often), you had to order the replacement from Kohler. You couldnt just go to a hardware store and buy one.

I finally got so sick of those expensive but crap toilets that I broke down and bought Toto Drakes. I'd always thought Totos were very expensive but these cost only $250. And now I understand why Toto Drake users are so fanatic about their toilets. I, too, will never have another brand.

Last edited by TFW46; 10-30-2014 at 11:38 PM..

Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Toto Drake. Buy it and never be disappointed ever again. I will never own another toilet. I swear to that.
//www.city-data.com/forum/house...lems-go-7.html

Toto Drake toilet product review | Terry Love Plumbing & Remodel DIY & Professional Forum
I restore homes. The Toto is the best. I went with handicap height for more comfort. I remember going to a big commercial bath supply house and the people asked if I had any teenagers. I did and they said, get a Toto and you will be happy. Oh and they are made in the USA! Forget the rest, get the best.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Just don't get the weird European toilets that leave your bowel movement on a nice dry plate for you to see and somehow *whoosh* the flow of the water pushes everything off.

Don't even get me started about the Japanese toilets.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
I've read tons of stuff on toilets lately and decided to go with a Toto Drake with the elongated bowl and comfort height. I was going to order online but decided that wasn't a good idea as it's so easy to get damaged during shipment. I'm getting it locally for $374. Not a great deal but at least I can easily return it if something is wrong with it.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Just don't get the weird European toilets that leave your bowel movement on a nice dry plate for you to see and somehow *whoosh* the flow of the water pushes everything off.

I could have done without this graphic, but this is why I have no desire to travel out of the country.
I guess I can digress, since it's my thread in the first place, but my former DIL was a Russian linguist in the Army, and she told the story of the public toilets in Russia. It was subterranean, and a poor woman lived down there and took care of it. I have blocked out most of the details.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I avoid changing out old reliable toilets with a passion... they work!

However, sometimes it is inevitable as when a tenant cracks a bowl or tank...

Lost a very high end, totally silent flush from the 60's... everyone commented on how is was totally silent and then the tenant's son climbed through the window and broke the tank lid!

Anyway... Water company ran a rebate a few years ago and I bought two companions... they worked great until they didn't and come to find out there was a recall and several design changes...

Also bought Kohler power flush for a family friend... it worked well until it didn't... to Kohler's credit they furnished a brand new toilet delivered to the door at no charge several years later.

The only NEW satisfactory toilet I've bought is Toto Drake... costs $280 at the supply house plus tax... so just around $300...

A toilet should last forever unless damaged... it's made of porcelain and the wear parts are replaceable.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post

Funny... my European guests didn't like American toilets... they asked how can Americans put up with being splashed all the time...

Guess it is cultural...

Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I did a lot of research, because I wanted to replace the four crappy toilets in my house. They would clog if you looked at them funny. At first I was afraid it was because the venting wasn't done properly, so I decided to replace the worst one in the worst situation (my son's toilet when he was 3 or 4).

After doing some research and forum reading, I narrowed it down to one of the Toto models and the American Standard Champion 4. The Toto was my first choice and I just needed to see what local supplier had it. When I got home from work, my wife told me my son had clogged the toilet again and it had overflowed and I needed to take care of it. I was so frustrated that I drove to Lowes and bought the Champion 4 and installed it that night. I decided to do a test and flush a lot of toilet paper. I did about 1/4 of a roll. The old toilet had to be flushed about about 12 sheets, no lie, it was that bad. The Champion 4 did the 1/4 roll no problem. So I upped the ante, and did the remaining toilet paper, which was at least a half roll. No problem. A few months later, I decided that the Champion 4 met my needs, and I'm down to 1 toilet (master bathroom) to go.

I'm not saying the Toto is not the best or even that the Champion 4 is equal, because I never got a chance to use a Toto, but what I am saying is that I thrilled with the performance of the Champion 4. Each replacement I've done to date has never had a clog issue or a lack of flushing power even with two young children and their friends using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House