Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 11:40 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times

Advertisements

S[SIZE=5]StrkAliteN[/SIZE] do let us know what you think of the shark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it doesn't have a power brush. As a matter of fact, I wish I'd looked at the nozzle thing at the store--it's cheap plastic and cheesy with a very small opening for sucking anything up, which is probably part of the problem. The one thing I did like about the Miele that is difficult to find with other vacuums is that it actually adjusts sufficiently that I can use it without stooping. I am 6'1" tall, and almost everything is made for a shorter world.

There are so many brands! That's the problem, it's such a crapshoot--they all claim to be great, but you've got to spend hundreds to find out if they really are.

I had the Dyson Animal until it started to crap out recently, and I hear what you are saying but that sucker did pick up the cat hair VERY well. Not sure what you mean by "leaky". The newer Dysons do look as though the dirt container part is smaller than the one I had.
Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Dysons have HEPA filters, but they aren't sealed well enough for it to be effective. The dirt cup is intentionally small to make you think they are picking up more dirt.

You don't have to spend hundreds to check out machines. Talk to repair shops. Ask what's reliable. Generally speaking, Miele, Riccar (made in USA), and a few others top the list.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
following this thread as my workhorse vacuum is a Sears Progressive Cannister (must be about 10 plus year old). It is excellent, but certainly a pain to lug around. But it is great.
I am not sure how much more it will last, and I have pretty much decided that I will go for a Shark. Either the Rotator or Navigator. I have the cheapy shark steam mop and I LOVE it. It finally crapped out after about 3 or 4 years and I ran and replaced it. I am under the impression that SHARK has very good customer reviews. (and they don't break the bank).
If your machine dies, and you like it, you can get a replacement motor for it. Sears sells them new, and many people sell them used (for much less money).

Old 03-15-2015, 12:56 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
S[SIZE=5]StrkAliteN[/SIZE] do let us know what you think of the shark!
Oh I will !

I primarily bought it because $100 seemed like a steal. Based upon its reviews.

2nd reason is ... Although my Dyson is the BOMB on vacumming carpet and tile / hard floors. I am not at all impressed with its accessories - tools and using the awkward extension handle for other cleaning.

The shark appears to have a much better detachable hose for the attachments.

I will know by mid-week how it works !! And will promptly update.

I think I paid close to $300 for my Dyson at Costco ( after taxes )

The Shark appears the much better value at this point.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I also vote for Dyson. Yes, they really are worth the money. I have long hair that always burned up other vacuums after almost no time. I do not have this problem with the Dyson. I do occasionally have to clean off the beater bar thing but it's so easy to get out and clean. Just flip up the side piece, pull it out, clean it, and done. The only thing I don't like about the Dyson is the wand/hose part. The only area I need this is to vacuum furniture and our stairs. I bought a small handheld vacuum for that purpose simply because I didn't like the wand part of the Dyson.
My reasons for purchasing the Shark I just bought as a 2nd vac to keep downstairs my house.

The Dyson detach hose is a terrible design and makes you not want to ever use it as it is so awkward.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
The woman that cleans my house recently posted on FB her review of a bunch of different vacuums. At her recommendation last year when my Dyson broke, I got the Kenmore and I have to say that I really do love it.

"Okay, because I own a cleaning business and because I clean approximately 3 to 4 houses a day… And because everybody is always asking me which vacuum is the best… Here are the four I will tell you about... The Kenmore canister vacuum is by far the very best vacuum I've ever worked with, it's the one that I use and it's the one that I use on my home as well. It runs forever! I have used the same one for the last two years and I vacuum approximately three hours a day, five days... a week and approximately two hours a day on Saturday and Sunday each. The attachments are close at hand and It is the best vacuum by far for hardwood floors!

The shark is a great vacuum however not the best on hardwood floors especially if there is dirt or sand… But the suction is incredible and it is awesome on carpets!

The Dyson is good for probably the first month that you have it… In my opinion it is the biggest waste of money… And they break down very easily!

Last but not least, the rainbow vacuum. I know, I know… Everybody loves the vacuum...or maybe they just tell themselves that because they spent $1000 + on it!! It is so heavy and cumbersome and difficult to pull… The attachments are not easily accessible… And I honestly don't see that it does an incredible job on carpets or hardwood floors. If somebody gave me the rainbow vacuum… I would never use."

Old 03-15-2015, 11:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We have a Simplicity Synchrony that we like a lot. I particularly like that it rolls easily on hard floors. And it gets right up against the baseboards, and it turns easily. We've owned ours since 2007. We had to have it worked on last year, and it was not cheap. Drat! But it runs like a champ. It has great suction on carpets.

I've owned Kirby, and a few others, but the Simplicity is the best. It is made in the USA too.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:53 AM

604 posts, read 839,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We have a Simplicity Synchrony that we like a lot. I particularly like that it rolls easily on hard floors. And it gets right up against the baseboards, and it turns easily. We've owned ours since 2007. We had to have it worked on last year, and it was not cheap. Drat! But it runs like a champ. It has great suction on carpets.

I've owned Kirby, and a few others, but the Simplicity is the best. It is made in the USA too.
I love my Simplicity upright. It's very light and works well on carpets and hard floors. I bought it from a vacuum cleaner shop and the guy at the store said they are very reliable. I had a Dyson Animal, and I found that it leaked dust into the air, was very heavy, and the dirt cup was messy.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

We also love Simplicity, but they are no longer made exclusively in the USA. They've shifted manufacture of at least some models to China. Riccar and Kirby are still made in the US, though.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:56 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I may have already answered this. I love my Dyson, but if I had to replace it, I'd look at one of the copy cats with the same features, like the Shark, which I hear is good and costs a lot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House