Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

We purchased new washer and dryer just over a year ago. They work fine and we were happy with them - until....

After Christmas dinner I washed my nice, new, somewhat expensive tablecloth and dried it only to find when I took it out that there were areas in the fabric that were snagged and the threads were pulled.

I went on a hunt for anything sharp or rough that could snag the fabric as it tumbles and the only thing I can find is the vent cover at the back of the dryer. It is made of metal and the center of it it seems to have lost its smooth finish and the edges of the holes are rough to the touch. It doesn't seem to bother tougher clothing (jeans, jackets, shirts), but it's enough to snag the finer materials.

What to do? Has anyone had similar experience? Can we coat the vent cover with something heat-resistant? Can it be sanded and painted? Simply order a new one and replace it? (It will only last a year)

The applicances are Maytag, a brand which is being absorbed by another company as Maytag is out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:22 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
A couple of thoughts (with no idea if they're right or not):

One, are you sure it was the dryer that did the damage and not the washer?

After a considerable amount of use, a vent cover with sort of darken due to the heat, but there's no reason for the holes to become rough to the touch. You may have had a defective cover from the start and just didn't notice it until you washed the tablecloth. Or it could be that your model did indeed have some kind of cheaper cover that roughen due to the heat in one year (but that actually seems unlikely). I would think about replacing it.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
A couple of thoughts (with no idea if they're right or not):

One, are you sure it was the dryer that did the damage and not the washer?

After a considerable amount of use, a vent cover with sort of darken due to the heat, but there's no reason for the holes to become rough to the touch. You may have had a defective cover from the start and just didn't notice it until you washed the tablecloth. Or it could be that your model did indeed have some kind of cheaper cover that roughen due to the heat in one year (but that actually seems unlikely). I would think about replacing it.
Thanks, I'll check the washer again.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I have the same problem. My dryer's lint trap has cracked, and is snagging fabrics, grabbing sweatshirt strings, etc. Is your lint trap in a place that it comes into contact with the clothes, and is it still in good shape?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I have the same problem. My dryer's lint trap has cracked, and is snagging fabrics, grabbing sweatshirt strings, etc. Is your lint trap in a place that it comes into contact with the clothes, and is it still in good shape?
The lint trap is still good, but I'll have to check the edges and corners on it. Thanks for that suggestion.

I checked the inside of the washer drum, and the agitator. Those seem to be fine.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 20,932 times
I had this same problem. Dryer vent was snagging and twisting and tearing all my clothes. Called LG and they said to schedule repair. Instead, I searched further and took out my dryer lint trap and noticed it was all clogged up with lint in the bottom, causing the corner of the trap to stick up and snag clothes. I took a metal coat hanger and cleared out all the stuffed up lint in the bottom of the trap. The lint trap slides in completely flush, again, and no more snagging of clothes, etc!

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 20,553 times
I just purchased a brand new LG Steam Dryer and used it once. Snagged 4 pillow cases made of somewhat finer fabric. Can't find exactly what caused snags. Am returning for a replacement or different brand. However, after searching for snags by dryer, it appears that various brands and models are doing same thing. 14 yr old Whirlpool is problem free. Thinking of just keeping it until it dies.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 19,419 times
I have a Kenmore dryer that was built by LG. I've recently found some small holes in shirts & some threads pulled loose on the towels. The dryer vent was not the issue. I found the inside cover for the drum light was sharp and could easily snag on clothing. I removed it and smoothed the edge with a small file. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
I have never thought about this problem before but I'm going to start being more aware about my clothes and washers/dryers from now on.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I recently purchased a washer and dryer and read consumer reviews extensively before purchasing. I'm loyal to Whirlpool as over the years had very good experiences with this brand. The reviews for a particular Whirlpool Dryer included negative comments regarding the sensor having sharp edges which damaged clothing.

I would check to see if your dryer has a sensor and see if the edges are sharp. This could be the issue. We avoided one Whirlpool model because of this.

Just an idea. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House