Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

I'm just doing a little bragging/showing off, because I'm just about done with my outdoor kitchen.

Last night I completed the stone facade, for the most part. I still have to do some of the finish work on the corners and then seal it, but it still feels great to look pretty much complete.

I learned a lot of lessons, by doing many things wrong, but I still feel the end results came out pretty nice.

I built it out of cinder blocks, which I think worked out real well. The only thing I didn't do was the granite counter tops. Man, has granite gone up in price over the last five years.

If anyone has any questions are want to know what NOT to do, I'll be more than happy to share my experiences. I've learned a lot and would have done many things different.
Attached Thumbnails
Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-kit1.jpg   Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-kit2.jpg   Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-kit3.jpg   Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-kit4.jpg   Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-kit6.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Beautiful. I would love an outdoor kitchen but more for canning than entertaining…but both would work

What is the cut out spot next to the grill? And the knobs by the sink? I think all you might need is a wine cooler for friends

Enjoy it.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,640 times
Wow, that looks professionally done! Stone facade is the perfect touch. I was wondering about the cut out next to the grill too, maybe for a cooler to hold meat for the grill?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM

The cut out by the grill is where I'm going to put a Big Green Egg. I'm not sure what exactly happened wrong. I don't know if I just measured wrong, my math was bad or I just couldn't count right, but at a point of no return, I said to myself, "This looks pretty tall" and measured again. That spot should be about 10" shorter to put the BGE at the right level. Since I'll use the egg for all-day slow cooking and not flipping burgers, it won't matter if it's too tall, but it still bugs me.

Instead of doing the egg cut-out, I did the shelf like that to be versatile in case I get rid of the egg. It could be used to hold a chaffing dish, a big bucket thing with ice for drinks or something like an electric skillet if I'm doing breakfast tacos.

Thanks for the compliments.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Wow, that is really beautiful. I love the brick facade! Congrats on a job well done!

Old 11-03-2014, 05:43 PM

452 posts, read 898,083 times
Where did you purchase all the stainless steel from? Could you tell me a ballpark figure about cost for it all?...

It looks great!

Old 11-03-2014, 09:14 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Very impressive!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
Where did you purchase all the stainless steel from? Could you tell me a ballpark figure about cost for it all?...

It looks great!

Each set of doors were $215 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Above the doors are custom pieces that I had fabricated. Since I live in Houston, I go through really hot summers. Inside the doors to the far right is my receiver which powers the in-ceiling speakers, and inside the center doors is a natural gas instant hot water heater for the sink. I decided that it would be best to have some air circulation in those compartments, so I purchased some ultra quiet fans that are hooked to a temperature sensor and come on at about 90 degrees. I drew up a template for the stainless steel piece and took it to a metal company and had them cut, bend and drill it to my specs and then I bolted in the fans and wired it up. Each of those cost me around $200. The metal company I used was dead on with all of their cuts, so it went together with the doors perfectly.

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
And the knobs by the sink?
If I understand you, the knob on the back-splash controls the heater that is mounted at the far end (the silver thing).
Attached Thumbnails
Just about done with my outdoor kitchen (DIY)-heater2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House