Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM

99 posts, read 191,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How old is the house?

What is the wall surface? Are you sure it's drywall?
It was built in the early 80's and I believe it is green-board drywall because there are a few other areas where there is green paper exposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Stiff bristle brush.
Lay down drop cloths remove all trim stuff off the walls etc. Mask or cover anything you don't want to get dirty.
Lightly start scrubbing the brown paint off.
Use a damp cloth to wipe down the walls
Let dry
Patch all the damage. Let dry
Take a sanding block and sand down the old paint and the patches
Once done then take a tack cloth and wipe down the walls.
Texture the patches
Primer walls
Paint

Ugh. for real? I have to SCRUB it all off?

I WILL be cursing them all the while......I'm pretty sure it was my sister-in-law who used to live in this house with my Mother-in-law and father-in-law

I know I should have HER come do all this scrubbing, but I really don't even want her in my house.

Anyway, same goes for the crackle finish on the ceiling?
Luckily they used flat paint for that and not enamel, and it's not peeling....does that have to be scrubbed off with a bristle brush as well?

Thank you for the advice

Old 11-12-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I've seen people who peel the paint off in badly painted room peel the paper off the drywall -- which is baked gypsum, and why it looks chalky.

I would remove as much of the old peeling paint as possible but NOT with water. If it's too ridgey, sand it more level -- with care on the bare gypsum parts. Then use a good primer, and a couple of coats of good paint to cover.
Thank you

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
If the crackle was a finish and not something that has happened due to something else -- I would try on a small area just primer and paint. If that doesn't work, you might have to spackle it smooth and sand that and then primer/paint.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If the crackle was a finish and not something that has happened due to something else -- I would try on a small area just primer and paint. If that doesn't work, you might have to spackle it smooth and sand that and then primer/paint.
Ok Thank You
*fingers crossed* that primer and paint alone will work after what I'm going to have to go through on those walls!

Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post
Ok Thank You
*fingers crossed* that primer and paint alone will work after what I'm going to have to go through on those walls!
If the area was polyurathaned -- you might want to rough it up with a light sanding so it takes the paint well...

Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Any color paint will show every single little imperfection on the surface you are painting.

Unfortunately, you will need to really do some work to get this smooth again, ceiling and all.

I have tried painting over wallpaper and spackling the seams. It still showed through, even though I *THOUGHT* I had done a pretty good sanding job.

If the surface of the drywall is peeled off, you probably should just replace the drywall.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez View Post
Ugh. for real? I have to SCRUB it all off?

I WILL be cursing them all the while......I'm pretty sure it was my sister-in-law who used to live in this house with my Mother-in-law and father-in-law

I know I should have HER come do all this scrubbing, but I really don't even want her in my house.

Anyway, same goes for the crackle finish on the ceiling?
Luckily they used flat paint for that and not enamel, and it's not peeling....does that have to be scrubbed off with a bristle brush as well?

Thank you for the advice

If you leave the old paint on any new paint you put over it will eventually peel because the old paint will peel. It's kind of putting a good sticker over a peeling sticker.
If it's that easy to peel off by hand a scrub brush with stiff bristles will peel it off for you. It could be as simple as bad prep work painting over greasy dirty paint or the previous person tried to paint latex based paint over oil based paint.

The crackle finish may simply be a chemical reaction. Does the crackle look like peeling paint with spacing in the cracks or looks more like a applicator like someone doing faux/Venetian paint with a textured sponge roller.

As suggested you can use Tsp to wash the walls but the old paint should be peeled off before new primer is applied.

Your other option is to have someone come in and skim the walls then texture primer and paint

Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
In your first pic I see a leaking window by the stains left on the drywall. Because the only way to completely resolve this paint issue is to remove the drywall and replace it, that would be my fix and while the drywall is out, locate and fix the leaky window and install R-15 insulation. Reinstall new drywall, texture to what is already there on other walls, and paint it. I don't see any loose paint on the adjoining walls and you didn't say. The effected area may be just this outside wall due to the moisture from the leaky window. Moisture will push any paint off of the surface as it migrates to the surface to dry out.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you leave the old paint on any new paint you put over it will eventually peel because the old paint will peel. It's kind of putting a good sticker over a peeling sticker.
If it's that easy to peel off by hand a scrub brush with stiff bristles will peel it off for you. It could be as simple as bad prep work painting over greasy dirty paint or the previous person tried to paint latex based paint over oil based paint.

The crackle finish may simply be a chemical reaction. Does the crackle look like peeling paint with spacing in the cracks or looks more like a applicator like someone doing faux/Venetian paint with a textured sponge roller.

As suggested you can use Tsp to wash the walls but the old paint should be peeled off before new primer is applied.

Your other option is to have someone come in and skim the walls then texture primer and paint
I know, I understand. I want it too look good so I will do the work needed, I'm just not too happy about it. I can already tell that they never bothered washing the walls before applying that poo-brown paint because where it's peeled off, I can see the filth on what was possibly once white enamel paint. Knowing them, those walls were probably NEVER washed.

The ceiling is actually all smooth, no texture to it at all so yes, it is probably just a faux-finish thing, so at least I don't think I'll have to sand or scrub that with a wire brush. Hopefully primer alone will cover that up (AFTER it is washed, of course )

So I should use the TSP after I get all the poo-brown paint off the walls, right? I can't believe that color with that finish was chosen here......it looks as if someone just smeared the contents of a baby's diaper all over the place.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to have anyone come in to do any of this, it's all on me, so the skimming (or any re-dry-walling) is not an option. I do know how to drywall, but when I learned it was my husband and I doing it together.....he passed away two years ago.....and I know it's not something I can handle all on my own. Thank you again for the instructions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House