Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times

Advertisements

More people should want to, and, as a society REALLY we need to -- so much waste, and so much "stuff"!

That said, I think 86 square feet is a bit extreme too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure. People can live in very small spaces. They just don't want/need to do so.
This, however is a bit extreme...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 12:22 PM

Default Paris

If it was in Paris -- my favorite city in the world -- then maybe. :-)

P.S. - I see you are in Chapel Hill. I'm relocating there this Spring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think I could. And I know I could never sleep in a tiny confined coffin like that. Maybe with the door open. I wish I knew how much the rent is for this space. Property is ridiculously expensive and hard to find in Paris so I bet there are plenty of places which could be remodeled to look something like this and plenty of people who would be happy to live there.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Default Sure, why not? Agreed!

Well said Brian!

As I have begun living a more minimalistic lifestyle I have discovered that so much of what I really thought I needed was unnecessary -- and now that it's gone I don't miss it at all. I feel lighter and much more free!

Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Could I? Sure, why not! I've lived for months out of 50cu/in (backpack), and while I had the whole outside as my "space", you're still living minimally. A well designed and efficient layout goes a LONG way towards making small spaces usable. It's just that here in the US there's this pervasive "bigger is better" mentality, and that anything less than huge is just simply to enough to survive on. The bed is WAY more roomy than a bivy sack (basically a rain fly for a sleeping bag), with the exception of it being too short for my 6'4" frame the other space would be just fine. The 'shelf/stairs' need to be designed differently though, she was taking HUGE steps to climb up.

Yes, that space is for one person, without a pet... just like a motorcycle is for 1~2 people and not hauling 3 tones of fill dirt.

As for the built-ins, none of them were extraordinary in any way... doors on boxes with things that rolled on their own and a pretty paint job. They'd only be expensive if you didn't shop around (or thought normal carpentry work was expensive to begin with).

Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM

Default Not Evolution

Technically this is not evolution -- it's called "social conditioning" (a.k.a., advertising and capitalism). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Could I? Yes.

Given the choice? No.

Evolution has modified my genetic code causing me to "want stuff" and be as comfortable as possible. Who am I to punch evolution in the snout?

Old 11-13-2014, 12:32 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
No.. I can already tolerate a much smaller house than a lot of americans... I only need about 2000 square feet including basement area.... for many that is still too small. Actually I could do with even less but around here housing is tight and smaller places cost more per square foot.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:49 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I wouldn't want to live there, but it's a clever use of a very small space, very organized and clean.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:01 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I could probably live there, if I were alone and with no pets but the deal breaker for me would be that bed.....I'm totally claustrophobic and couldn't stand being confined like that. I will say that the design is a very good use of limited space.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
I think my minimum would be about 300-400 sq ft. Give me about 300 sq ft for the kitchen/bathroom/living room, a 100 sq ft loft for sleeping and maybe a 100 sq ft porch on the front. Sound proof each room as much as possible for privacy. Utilities would be next to nothing. Another thing I like about minimalist living is that it would be super easy to furnish a house that size. Most people have a lot of rooms and spend tons of money furnishing each one with a lot of stuff that will go out of style in 10 years. Give me a nice recliner and small couch and I'll be fine.

Something like this would work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y15dxUZN3s -- full size appliances, and cost under $20k to build.

IMO, smaller homes are the future. Those with a little more money to spend will upgrade the finishes/quality instead of going bigger. Perhaps the average home will be around 700-800 sq ft and 1000 sq ft will be looked at like 3000 sq ft is today.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:15 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
I think it depends .... Many cities outside of the US are built up with all sorts of things that entice people to stay away from the home until they are ready to sleep. I don't think someone living in that 86 sq ft flat spends much non-sleeping time in there.

Americans want everything IN their home. Many have a gourmet kitchen, home theatre, home gym, swimming pool, tennis court, etc.etc. This culture has the expectation that homes need to be big and we correspondingly spend a lot of time at home.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:20 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
There's no way I could live in that, it's like a glorified walk-in closet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House