Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Is there a vent hood? Or an exhaust fan? Either might have an accumulation of ...... (fill in the blank).
Beat me to it. Probably some air coming back in through the vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
<yawn> The problem was diagnosed back in post 10.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
I am having almost the identical problem. It smells like a greasy cooking smell and it won’t go away. It is spreading through the house little by little. Very frustrating. I also replaced the microwave - nothing. Then I cleaned the dishwasher a number of times thoroughly - nope. Cleaned the self cleaning oven, wiped the cabinets with Clorox wipes. Looked at the microwave vent, ran lemons through the garbage disposal... still nothing and the scent continues to grow.

I have owned the house since it was built. Replacing the stove top next, and then on to the dishwasher. I and my daughter can’t stand the smell, but my wife can’t smell it. Really interesting. Please let me know if you find anything out. I will let you know as well.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:51 PM

388 posts, read 686,369 times
We actually moved! When we sold the house - zero complaints. In the next house and current one, there is no issue. So my thinking is venting or duct work was not done correctly.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:39 AM

93 posts, read 66,203 times
Old thread but I agree with others that it's likely the exhaust vent (either an exhaust fan built in thru the microwave - over the stove or a separate one).

Mine got coated with so much grease that it started to drip. It becomes rancid and will stink (and could be a fire hazard if you have a flare up on the stove). I assume that the filters have been cleaned? If not, that will really stink. Sometimes the grease can sneak by the filters and become coated further down the duct. Hopefully not too far down but my experience is that the bulk of it will be close to the filters and perhaps around the fan sitting behind the filters.

Last edited by I'll Say; 10-02-2018 at 02:51 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 9,565 times
FYI and for what it's worth anytime you smell a sweet maple syrupy odor whether continuous or intermittent that is the smell of burning antifreeze

Without fail that is always the source of that particular odor.
Question now is what mechanical system in your home contains antifreeze.
I will Google home mechanical systems that contain antifreezecoolant and post then you will have your source....

Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 AM

13 posts, read 9,565 times
From what I could gather you have burning coolant from likely your hvac system\air handler or possibly from your fridge but hvac is more likely imo...which means you have a coolant leak in the system.
Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House