Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:18 PM

388 posts, read 686,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Heaven WV girl View Post
I store paper towels and toilet paper in the pedestal drawers under my LG frontload washer and dryer. I do use HE detergent. (I like Gain detergent.) The reason you need to use HE is because it is low sudsing. With the decreased amount of water that each cycle uses, it might be difficult to get all of the soap bubble rinsed out if you use regular detergent. I also keep the doors open when not in use but not fully open. Instead, I bought 2 plastic hooks with adhesive on the back. I attached one to the front of the door near the handle and the other on the side of the machine. I then take a large rubber band and stretch it between the two hooks. The rubber band keeps the door ajar so that air can circulate and dry it without the door having to stay wide open. I also installed my machines on a large piece of stall mat. It cuts down on vibration and noise and the machines do not move.

One thing I missed when I got my new washer was the ability to soak my shower curtain liner (fabric, not vinyl) which I like to do every month or so. What I have found that I can do is that whenever I run a tub clean cycle (with bleach), I use that as an opportunity to throw in the liner. The tub clean cycle fills up higher than a regular cycle and also sits and soaks for part of the time and the liner comes out really clean.

I have had my machines for 6 years and like them very much.
I love Gain! Have you tried the Gain beads? Or any of the beads? We love them all except Purex. Snuggle tabs are my favorite.

We currently have an old HE front loader. Dinosaurs. And it doesn't have a soak option! Drives me nuts. Our new one has that option. I was happy to have that back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Consumer Reports says

CR says

Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release is the best liquid.
Just make sure it has the small HE sticker on it.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Spoken like someone who never owned one.

WAY less soap, a 25% drop in water consumption, and less electricity IS saving the environment (AND saving money).
And pricing is such that you do NOT have to spend "the big bucks" for what you call a fashion statement. So you definitely save over the life of the machine.

Thank you! I swear people climb aboard threads to just troll and harp on others when they have no experience with the issue at hand.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I started using HE... then a repairman told me I did not have to use that. Ever since, I use regular Kirkland liquid (Costco), in a very tiny amount.

They get very clean! The only drawback IMHO is that you cannot dye in it.

Inside stays clean since I run a bleach load once a week. Outside... just a damp cloth.

No pedestals for me.

Make sure it is level. Mine does not move.
Thanks so much for your nice answers. I appreciate them. The bleach cycle is an excellent idea!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
CR says

Tide Plus Ultra Stain Release is the best liquid.
Just make sure it has the small HE sticker on it.
I can vouch for Tide Ultra Stain Release. It got out some unknown stain that I had previously washed many times with stain remover that wouldn't budge. I was ready to throw the garment away but then saw that Target had small samples of Tide available. I tried the Ultra Stain Release. I am not sure what they put in there but good gravy, did it work. I went right out and bought a big bottle and keep that on hand.

Thank you for your response.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
So I think we probably end up using as much electricity for each load as we would with the old machine, it just takes twice as long.
The dryer when spinning might be like 500 watts, with the heating element going full blast it might be 5000.

Not sure if there is any savings though, certainly more wear and tear and you're sucking more heat out of the house in the winter. Guess it depends on how that cycle runs, e.g. if warms the air in the dryer and then spins it, then extracts the air only when the humidity reaches a set point they would be onto something.

FYI, throwing a dry towel into the mix will help dry the clothes faster. It helps pull the moisture out of the wet clothes.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Bummer on that dryer - what brand is it (so I can avoid it!)?
Mine gets clothes dry as quickly as the washer cleans them. I would hate having stacks of wet things, waiting on the dryer!
You can find that option on lot of them, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:13 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It doesn't actually do anything except...dry clothes. The key is the way it LOOKS. If you have a kitchen with granite countertops and stainless appliances, these fancy-schmantzy machines carry that "expensive" look right into your laundry room. It's home decor, gone high-hat.

Yes, they do use less soap, water, and electricity. That's AFTER you spend the big bucks to get those machines in the first place. Over the life of the machines, it's NET-NET in regards to funds spent. You aren't saving any money, and you aren't saving the environment (or you'd use a clothesline, if it was that important to you). You are making a fashion statement. But to each, his own...

I agree.

How many ways does a dryer need to dry clothes, set the timer and your done.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-21-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
And on some of them, the dryer's cycle will be a lot longer. Our new HE dryer for example uses some sort of energy saving lower heat level, but it takes a log longer- the normal cotton load is 80 minutes! (that's the time it actually shows on the display when setting to cotton, before it even starts- and does indeed take that long to dry). So I think we probably end up using as much electricity for each load as we would with the old machine, it just takes twice as long.

there is no such thing as an energy efficient (saving) dryer, no matter what they tell you.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-21-2014 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree.

How many ways does a dryer need to dry clothes, set the timer and your done.
Do you only wear burlap?

I don't know about you but we have bath towels, kitchen towels, sheets, delicate items, swimsuits, jeans, backpacks, lunch bags, work clothes...the list goes on. I don't wash everything on one setting, in one temperature. However, my life has shown me that some are too lazy to actually read labels and follow such instructions. I suppose those people are the ones that don't "need" different settings. I enjoy options and (gasp!) manufactures have granted my wish. Have you been in an appliance store lately? Even the "lower end" items have "advanced" options like "clean washer" and a linen setting. It's getting harder and harder to find non HE washers and dryers. They are usually relegated to the last row and there aren't many from which to choose.

By the way, steaming is to freshen something without washing it, say a shirt or blouse you wore for a few hours and you need to jet somewhere else. It's also good for things like pet bedding and kitchen towels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House