Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,803,123 times

Advertisements

I disagree on detergent brand and tried most of them. Tide; plain and simple. As to washer and drier I buy what I am going to use and recommend brand of repair guy I've known for years. Simple is often good; but our new set has a HE washer, I was shocked at now well it cleans including stains. If you buy one then read the booklet as it cleans differently. I can see every month the water savings on water bill. Purple: not me but to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 PM

388 posts, read 686,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I disagree on detergent brand and tried most of them. Tide; plain and simple. As to washer and drier I buy what I am going to use and recommend brand of repair guy I've known for years. Simple is often good; but our new set has a HE washer, I was shocked at now well it cleans including stains. If you buy one then read the booklet as it cleans differently. I can see every month the water savings on water bill. Purple: not me but to each his/her own.
It's a really dark eggplant. Nearly looks black. Our laundry room in dark teal and white. I thought it was different but would work with our laundry room color. I'm super girly so that's probably why I care. Hahah.

I agree..Tide is the best. I also like Gain but I can't say I have seen the same stain removal results. But I do enjoy the smell. If I want something to carry a lot of scent I use Gain or Snuggle scent boosters.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,490,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Yep! Sure is! Totally, 100% worth it.

My grandparents owned nothing but Kenmore. They never had an issue after 40+ years of marriage and 7 kids.

Any and all issues are covered for the next 6 years with our additional coverage/warranty. And I think you meant to say they do things that a $200 washer cannot do. I mean, truly, where do you find a $200 washer? The bottom of the barrel ones we actually looked at were $499. And these were not HE.

And if you didn't think high end sets are worth it, why did you even own a set of Kenmore Elites?
If you think they're worth it, that's great. It's money well-spent. I just hold a different opinion.

My mother had good luck with Kenmore appliances when I was growing up. Like a lot of things with Sears though, it seems the quality has changed. I can only offer what my experience has been.

And no, I meant what I wrote. I don't think my Kenmore Elite cleans clothes any better/faster than any other washer I've had. You'd probably have to bargain hunt to get one for $200, but I've seen them.

I bought my set because my wife wanted them. After having them, we've concluded they're not worth the price, so I wouldn't do it again.

But I have to tell you, I decided to contribute to this thread to share my experience, not to challenge what you believe. I'm posting here only in order to help you or others who are reading. Knowing this, I'm trying to understand why you feel the need to be snarky. Our advice is free for you to accept or ignore.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,608,337 times
Quote:
Do you only wear burlap?

I don't know about you but we have bath towels, kitchen towels, sheets, delicate items, swimsuits, jeans, backpacks, lunch bags, work clothes...the list goes on. I don't wash everything on one setting, in one temperature. However, my life has shown me that some are too lazy to actually read labels and follow such instructions. I suppose those people are the ones that don't "need" different settings. I enjoy options and (gasp!) manufactures have granted my wish. Have you been in an appliance store lately? Even the "lower end" items have "advanced" options like "clean washer" and a linen setting. It's getting harder and harder to find non HE washers and dryers. They are usually relegated to the last row and there aren't many from which to choose.

By the way, steaming is to freshen something without washing it, say a shirt or blouse you wore for a few hours and you need to jet somewhere else. It's also good for things like pet bedding and kitchen towels.
None of my comments were ever made about a washer.
Only the dryer.

re: steaming- so is hanging it outside, BTW, doesn't cost anything.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
None of my comments were ever made about a washer.
Only the dryer.

re: steaming- so is hanging it outside, BTW, doesn't cost anything.
Well, not all items can be dried on the same setting. And since the dryer has steam on it too and you had asked (then deleted) the part about steam, that is why I said it. Also, hanging clothes outside has never freshened anything in my opinion. It's always hard or crispy and smells like the Fed Ex man (i.e. outside, sweat). To me.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
If you think they're worth it, that's great. It's money well-spent. I just hold a different opinion.

My mother had good luck with Kenmore appliances when I was growing up. Like a lot of things with Sears though, it seems the quality has changed. I can only offer what my experience has been.

And no, I meant what I wrote. I don't think my Kenmore Elite cleans clothes any better/faster than any other washer I've had. You'd probably have to bargain hunt to get one for $200, but I've seen them.

I bought my set because my wife wanted them. After having them, we've concluded they're not worth the price, so I wouldn't do it again.

But I have to tell you, I decided to contribute to this thread to share my experience, not to challenge what you believe. I'm posting here only in order to help you or others who are reading. Knowing this, I'm trying to understand why you feel the need to be snarky. Our advice is free for you to accept or ignore.
I answered your questions and then I asked you questions.
The same goes to you...you can either accept or ignore my responses. Thanks for contributing.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,013,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
there is no such thing as an energy efficient (saving) dryer, no matter what they tell you.
They are running longer and using more air to extract moisture instead of heat, running just the motor is about 1/10 the power usage. Assuming it took 1 hour to dry a load normally, If you ran if for two hours but used heat for 1/2 hour then it would be less energy usage.

One question is how much more heat are you sucking out of the house in the winter? If they implement a cycle where the air temperature is raised inside the drum and then expelled only when it hits a certain humidity point then it could be a lot more efficient and you avoid the extra heat loss from home.

The next question is the extra mechanical wear and tear worth it.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:49 AM

42,836 posts, read 26,224,805 times
We recently moved and I sold my old LG washer & dryer to the buyer of our home. It was about 10 years old and did the job but was way to small to accommodate large comforters or our futon cover. For our new home we got a Samsung front loader with all the bells and whistles at a super good price, and I love it. Both the washer and dryer have steam and probably the three things I like best about them are:
1) the large capacity 5.2 washer
2) the steam washing settings allow you to completely remove stains without using bleach (I was amazed to find it removed some dried latex paint from my husband's pants)
3) the "wrinkle away" dryer setting - really good for those times when you don't remove stuff from the dryer until it gets all wrinkly, when that happens I use that setting and in a short time all the wrinkles are gone, pretty darned amazing

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,490,709 times
Quote:
I answered your questions and then I asked you questions.
The same goes to you...you can either accept or ignore my responses. Thanks for contributing.
Oh, I see, you were just answering/asking questions. Maybe I misunderstood your tone. To some of your earlier questions:
Quote:
- Should I use a particular kind of detergent? Like should I only use Tide? I ask because I always see little samples with W/D and they are Tide. Kenmore website doesn't list anything specific.
Yes, of course, you must use only Tide. It contains a special proprietary blend of surfactants specifically designed for the Elite series. That's why they put those samples there, because no other detergent will work in them. If you use something else, you'll probably ruin your clothes and void your warranty.
Quote:
- If you have a front loader, do you find it cleans clothes decently well?
No, front loaders don't clean "decently well" at all(whatever that means). That's why all of the commercial laundries prefer them.
- What's the best way to keep it clean both inside and out? I read that someone uses furniture polish on theirs to keep dust and lint away.[/quote]You can't believe everything you read. Furniture polish can't keep dust and lint away. It only removes dust and lint that is already there.
Quote:
- If you have an HE and have the pedestals,what do you keep in them beside laundry soap? Do you think we could put batteries (in a battery box) and things like our plug in refills, etc? I am not sure if it would be ok.
That's a personal question. What I keep in my pedestal is nobody's business.
Quote:
- We can't tell why with our current W/D but the washer moves a lot. It might be one of the feet aren't on right or it could be the floor is sloping a bit. IF it is sloping, what can we do to make sure the new one moves as little as possible? Or will the repairman be able to help us?
Uhh, fix your floor? Sure, if he's a floor repairman.

I hope you appreciate my contribution, just asking/answering questions...

Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,013,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Uhh, fix your floor? Sure, if he's a floor repairman.
-or-

He could just use the adjustable feet found on all large appliances to level it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House