Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
If they do not ask, I do not volunteer.
Yep!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times
We take great pride in our home. I do most of the renovations (plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry, doors, windows) and the wife does all the decorating.

It gives me pleasure when someone compliments my hard work and says " I didn't know an accountant could do all this". Then they start asking if I have any free time.

So, yes for new guests we will offer a tour, I do the men's tour (2 minutes) the wife does the women's tour (20 minutes).

Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yes of course we do and always have and I was taught growing up that you invite people inside especially friends and neighbors . As my father used to say "we don't leave people standing on the stoop ". most of my friends I have known for over 20 years .

Old 11-23-2014, 12:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
My wife and I will give the tour for the reasons previously listed... family in town seeing the house for the first time and will be staying with us, just bought a new home and our friends want to come over and check it out, etc.

We don't make a point of giving a tour to just anyone, even our friends unless they've specifically said they want to see the house. As our household income has risen, we have tried to be cognizant of the situations of others, and don't want to seem like we are bragging in the slightest. So, unless someone asks to see when they come over, we usually just stay in the areas where we will be entertaining.

I have a longtime friend of mine who has always been extremely competitive with me unfortunately, whenever he and his wife get a new car, house, tv, whatever... We always hear about it right away and are asked to come over or whatever. It's not a particular endearing quality to have among friends, and as annoyed as we get with them sometimes, we wouldn't want anyone else to view us that way.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:31 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes of course we do and always have and I was taught growing up that you invite people inside especially friends and neighbors . As my father used to say "we don't leave people standing on the stoop ". most of my friends I have known for over 20 years .
Merely inviting people inside is not the same thing as giving them a tour of the house.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:03 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
...but if you just want to show off your decorating skills, I'm not interested because then I have tax my brain thinking of different ways to say how lovely your rooms are even if I think they're butt ugly
So true!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:10 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Yes I turn around and point and say - That's where I sleep, that's where I do the 3 S's, .....
^^ I'm still laughing over this!

Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
And this here is my bed where my wife and I... ...oh, wait why are you leaving?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
When you have new friends over, do you give them a tour of your house? And, if a bit messy, would you show them anyhow?

No way. And I think it's presumptuous to ask. I also think that offering a tour reeks of nouveau richce bragging. If we are both interested in decorating or home architecture, and we have spoken about it previously, then it could make sense.

Other wise, I am going to hope that you are there to visit me, and not to take inventory of my house or house keeping standards.

In general, it is rude.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
It may depend on what you have in your house and where you are located.

I have a friend who lives in a small town where they never lock the doors. People usually just knock on the door and then walk right in. That's old time friendliness but personally, it would drive me nuts. His house is also the kind that, if you show them where the bathroom is, basically, they've seen the whole house right there.

Now me, I want a kitchen totally off the wall and I know a lot pf people may not like it. I want an old fashioned stove and fridge like the ones from Elmira, and a farmhouse kitchen sink. I would rather have wall space and a couple of hutches for the dishes and food instead of built in cabinets, with open shelving where I can put stuff, and I'd decorate the whole thing in blue and yellow. If I could do that, with a wall of windows at one end, I'd absolutely invite people in to see it, although I can just hear my mother now asking why anyone would want a kitchen like that.

I also collect porcelain and I would have my porcelain out in glass cabinets. Having them broken or stolen is a risk I run, but then as I always say, I didn't buy anything to lock away where I couldn't see it. I bought my stuff so it could be set out so I could enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House